Product Reviews > Kayaks > Pelican International > Eclipse 116 DLX Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Eclipse 116 DLX Kayak by Pelican International

Rated: 8.67/10 Based On: 3 Reviews

07-08-2008
Submitted by: DianeRSend Email

We purchased 2 Eclipse 116DLX from BJ's on sale at $299 each. Having never kayaked before, we took off to a couple of lakes. Handling was nice and easy, and maneuvering through a river branch was not bad either. I would recommend this item for anyone wanting to try kayaking. Storage was acceptable as we only had a few items. Easy to place on truck, either in the bed or on top. Paddles were adjustable to either straight or uneven. Hard to tip over, unless you lean completely over. Well made product. We are happy with our choice.

09-07-2007
Submitted by: Bob LSend Email

When these 11'6" sit-on-tops went on clearance sale at BJ's Wholesale Club for $250 (reg $350), I could not resist buying a pair. The package included a car-top carrier kit and a 84" 2-piece aluminum paddle. The Eclipse 116 DLX seems to be sold elsewhere (and appears on the Pelican web site) as the Apex 116 DLX. It is also essentially the same as the Castaway 116 DLX minus the storage hatches and rod holders. It does have the bungee corded rear storage well and paddle holders.

Anyway, they got constant use during our lake-front vacation by my wife, two boys (ages 10 and 13) and I (6'2" 225 lbs). We were completely delighted with their rugged construction and performance. They were stable and tracked well - once we got acclimated to them. With adjustable footrests and backrest they were comfortable too. The kids were able to dump them horsing around but they had to work at it. According to my GPS I could easily maintain a 4MPH speed.

I'll probably get a bigger paddle but other family members were happy with the one included. Although rated at 350 lb capacity the scuppers won't completely drain the cockpit at more than about 225 lbs load.

Even at the regular price this is a great value for the casual kayaker.

07-10-2007

I recently bought the Pelican Eclipse 116 DLX at a popular warehouse membership store. It was a package deal for $349. It came with a paddle and a car roof carrier kit.
I have had it out numerous times in canals, rivers and the ocean. This is a very stable kayak with good speed. It tracks well in calm waters, but only fair in slightly windy or tidal currents. The paddle was too short and substandard. I replaced it with a 230cm Harmony and got much better performance. Also the standard model Eclipse does not come with dry storage hatches. It has locations for a large forward hatch and rear small dry bag hatch. I opted to buy a forward hatch and install it myself.
This kayak has standard adjustable foot pads and a back rest that work well. The seat well does not have scupper holes and it stays dry. This kayak also handled small ocean swells well with very little splash coming over the bow.
All in all with about $125 in upgrades for a new paddle and storage hatch, this is a nice, comfortable and affordable beginners kayak. I bought it as my second kayak. My first kayak is an Islander Makai, its a great little kayak, but not as stable as I would like for my 6 foot 200# frame.

Rendezvous River Sports