Product Reviews > Kayaks > Mayan Seas > Delfin Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Delfin Kayak by Mayan Seas

06-29-2007

Rafael Miel of Mayan Seas donated this kayak to be auctioned by my kayak club and I was the lucky high bidder. It is my first real experience with this type of boat and I have found it to be a blast.
At 6' 250, I think I'm a bigger paddler than what this boat was designed for, but it hasn't stopped me from having fun. As a short boat with a totally flat bottom, it's not great for long paddles, but I took it out for a four mile spin in the ocean without too much discomfort. The boat absolutely turns on a dime, but I learned quickly how to keep it on a straight course. I took out the foot pegs and just use the front bulkhead for my feet. I could probably do with an inch or two of padding there to make things better, but it gives you an idea of available leg room. The fore and aft of the boat have bulkheads filled with foam, so the boat's unsinkable. I'm using the boat really just for surfing and for that it's been great. Last second 180s to catch a wave are no problem and I've had great rides. I think I would like to have a removable fin for the boat though to see if that helps performance in waves. My only other boat is a QCC 500, about as diametrically opposed to this boat as you can get and without any real time in other surf boats, I can't give that kind of comparison. All I can tell you is it's been a blast to play in the surf with this boat even though I probably test its limits in size. I'm not a great roller yet, but I've had good luck rolling this boat as well. I've had people who have seen video of my surfing say how impressed they were with the ability to get turned around to catch a wave. If you'd like to see some video of me surfing at San Onofre, you can see it here: www.sandmarks.vidshadow.com