Product Reviews > Kayaks > Innova Inflatable Kayaks > Seaker Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Seaker Kayak by Innova Inflatable Kayaks

Rated: 8.25/10 Based On: 4 Reviews

Seaker Kayak by Innova Inflatable Kayaks

Length: 15' 9" - Width: 30.00" - Starting at: $1499.00
See More Details about this Kayak
Innova Inflatable Kayaks Logo

07-09-2007
Submitted by: MFSend Email

I got this kayak in sale at REI for 1200.
I have to agree with the other reviewers about the build quality. It is outstanding.

I also disagree with the reviewer complaining about how awkward it is to carry the package. It is no bigger or heavier, than a SOF kayak. Plus it can be set up in 20 minutes (I am LAZY) and took apart in 15, including wiping it with scott-towels.
The kayak feels bug one on water. It is not affected much by the wind, and tracking is nice with the included rudder down. Load capacity is HUGE.
Speed - this is the problem I find that it is essential to inflate the floor first. Inflate it to the maximum allowed pressure (IE until the release valve lets the air out). This way, you will get rid of the wrinkles in the bow. Loading the front also helps a great deal, otherwise you will "cut" the water with the flat bottom.
If I move 4 inches forward, and paddle constantly and determined, I can get 5 mph out of this kayak. That's decent in the world of recreational kayaks, but pretty slow for a sea kayak. It is a bit faster than a Dimension River Runner R5 I also have.
I give it a 9 because I got is so cheap.

07-06-2007
Submitted by: HFSend Email

I have owned this boat since last September. So far I have used it on the Hudson river. As some other reviewer I expected it to be slow but I can't even keep up with a regular recreational yak. It is extremely stable and dry. I did not try any self rescue yet, but I'm sure it is possible to get back in - the only problem is that it is relatively high sided. The inflatable seat back is not tall enough so that the cockpit rim is pressing on your spine. I bought a sit-on-top Kayak seat to remedy this problem.
The boat tracks straight when used with the rudder without the rudder it is very difficult to keep it straight. Foot room is limited because of the side tubes, Storage space is good although I have not done any touring. I have mounted a Pacific Action sail which works very well since the boat is stable. The hands sometimes rub against the side tubes and previously against the grab line but I use a bungee cord to keep them away from the sidetube in the cockpit area.
I bought this boat because I have limited storage space and like the idea of having the boat in the trunk when traveling. The setup time is 10 to 15 Minutes but carrying the un-inflated boat is very awkward since it is heavy (60#). Packing up takes about the same time but at home it has to be unpacked again to dry out the interior.

The bottom line is if you paddle in a group with other hardshells or want to go somewhere fast this boat is not for you. If you don't mind that you travel slowly and you are able to lug a 60 # ungainly object around and you want a boat that is very unlikely to capsize and you don't mind to pay more for that privilege then you would for a decent hardshell this boat is for you.

06-07-2007
Submitted by: ScottSend Email

I have a hard time giving a rating for this boat as it really depends on what you plan on using it for. It really is an amazing boat Innova has put together, well built, and great attention to detail. I was looking for a sea touring kayak that I'd be able to throw in the car but also more importantly, be able to load enough gear into to take on long day/multiday trips. On paper the Seaker looks like it was designed for that purpose. In reality using an inflatable to travel any real distance doesn't make a lot of sense. I expected to be slower than a hardshell, but not this much slower. I also found the boat to be too wide. At 30" my hands would rub the sides of the boat on each stroke, and unfortunately there's a rope that runs up both sides that would chafe my hands raw. Gloves helped, but still annoying. If the boat sat lower in the water it probably wouldn't have been an issue, but as it's inflatable is does ride a bit higher than a hardshell. I took the Seaker out 3 times, twice in calm water and once when it was really blowing up. It feels very stable and I'd feel safe in just about any conditions. Also there is a ton of storage room, I'm 6'3 and was very comfortable, I could also pack a lot of gear into the two compartments.

For someone who doesn't plan on traveling great distances this is an awesome boat to get you out on the water. If you plan on paddling with friends who have hardshell kayaks and are going from point A-->B, you'll find yourself getting frustrated. Unfortunately this boat didn't work out for me and back to REI it went. I don't want to be too negative on it though, I do think it's a great boat for the right activity.

02-28-2007
Submitted by: DonSend Email

I have been kayaking the southern California coast (San Diego/LA) for almost ten years and the Innova Seaker is the best boat I've paddled bar none. I've owned mostly plastics but have paddled skin on frame, fiberglass, rotomolded plastic, and carbonlite plastic boats from Feathercraft, Necky, Perception, and Eddyline; and inflatable tube and tarpolin/fabric type inflatables from Sevylor, AireFrame, and Sterns. Nothing touches the Seaker for sheer ability and durability in a kayak you really intend to use.

I bought the Seaker because I wanted to travel with my kayaks and I did not have the $5,000.00 or $6,000.00 it was going to cost me for a world class folder. I bought my boats from a store that would accept a return in case I didn't like the boats. I was nervous making the purchase without having actually tried the boats first. What I did do first was my research. Time and time again Innova boats were written up doing all the crazy stuff I wanted to do in a boat but couldn't always do with a plastic or glass boat or the folder I could never quite seem to be able conscience spending 5 to 6K to purchase. I enjoy coastal paddling and training for expedition sea kayaking. I have twice paddled to the Los Coronado Islands in kayaks, once from Mexico and once from San Diego Bay.

Knowing what I know now from experiencing Innova boats first hand, I wish I had been using my Seaker from Innova all along. I have played a lot in my sea kayaks, sit on tops, and inflatables and I have also been in serious trouble in kayaks where if I had not been rescued at sea once I would not be here now to write this review. The most important thing next to your training (classes, lessons, time on the water, skills practice) is your gear. Use good gear and have good training, good things happen. Use gear that isn't truly expedition ready and it can cost you big.

I routinely take my Seaker out when the Pacific is letting her hair down and the winds and waves are up. I have watched this boat punch through on-coming surf and dance on 3' to 5' haystacks on the Pacific while fighting currents of 2 mph or more with heavy chop and swell. This is my favorite heavy weather boat. My two favorite memories in the Seaker to date are when both ends of my boat were out of the water riding the rim of a 8' or better swell and when the surf line suddenly shifted and I got to watch a wave form up less than five feet off the WRONG side of my kayak. The boat felt so stable I felt like I could have played cards on the deck of the boat or sat back and had my lunch while watching the waves. The wave that formed and broke next to the Seaker took only a gentle brace and the swell took nothing more than a deep breath to enjoy the ride. I have loaded this boat with gear and supplies and found it to be a very sweet ride in the rough stuff. It is good in flat water too but it really shines for stabilty and sheer ability to enjoy the ride when the wind and the waves are up.

One thing I enjoy doing a lot of is paddling kayak support for long distance swimmers who are training for competitive events and channel crossings like the Catalina channel. On one recent training swim the wind was up and the chop was approaching 2 feet in addition to surf that was beginning to alternately build and dump on the beach. I was in too much of a hurry and forgot to snap on my spray skirt. I came through the surf DRY!!! Okay, it wasn't that big (less than 4 feet) but OPEN COCKPIT AND DRY??? If I had not been in the boat I would not have believed it. When I began paddling for my swimmer, I had to go beam to (side ways) to a two foot chop with about a 3 to 5 second interval and still an open cockpit. NO WATER IN THE BOAT PERIOD. The seaker was so stable that after a bit of paddling, I was able to paddle within a few feet of the swimmer even in the chop and still not be worried about running into the swimmer as they swam.

I have yet to get wet in the Seaker when I wasn't playing around with or practicing recovery with the Seaker. When I did get wet was when after a few rounds in the surf I got careless. Even then, the Seaker took good care of me. One of the worst things that can happen in a boat is to come in shallow in the surf and then get knocked over facing the beach. Well, it finally happened to me and thank you God that I was in the Seaker. When I wasn't paying attention (bad move on my part), I got surfed backwards in the shallows and chose the wrong brace. I flipped in shallow water facing the beach but because the Seaker is inflatable and flexible, the 60 lbs of boat plus me plus gear NEVER slammed me into the sand. I was able to come up flat to the submerged deck of the Seaker, wet exit, and stand up without a scratch.

Oh, the best part of paddling the Seaker generally is its combination of comfort, speed, and stability. During that training swim, the air temp was in the low fifties, the water temp was 56 F, and the wind was approaching 15 to 20 mph with a storm front moving in. I was WARM and DRY. Also, come summer time, the boat is nice and cool even when the air is 80 to 90, the spray skirt is on, and there is little to no wind. The contact between the inflatable floor and side tubes and the sea is your layer of insulation in the winter and your built in air conditioner in the summer time.

I could rave about how I never have owned a better built or more able boat. I could tell you how you could rig the Seaker with just about every piece of sea kayaking gear imaginable and yet retain speed and load capacity. I could even go on about the rocks, the rebarb, and the boats I've bounced the Seaker off of and have never been able to find a scratch on it yet. I wanted to share what fun these boats are most of all. Even though you can setup the boat in under 15 minutes which is almost 2 hours less than setting up a Klepper. I know. The first time a friend with a Klepper saw me setup the Seaker, he couldn't stop bragging on the boat or nagging on how long it took to set up the Klepper he and his wife loved so much. Yeah and the boats are quick. While they won't beat a glass boat for speed, few things beat being able to kayak in almost anything and to be able to land on almost anything you could stand on.

In short, if you want an expedition boat to last a life time buy an Innova Seaker and spend your time learning the boat. It is worth every penny and every minute. Like with any kayak, dress for immersion and don't go off shore until you've practiced your rescue and recovery skills. Every boat is different. The Seaker will take excellent care of you and bring you home with a lot of fond memories.

Signed Innova Fanatic