Product Reviews > Kayaks > Dagger > Outburst Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Outburst Kayak by Dagger

Rated: 7.45/10 Based On: 11 Reviews

11-09-2012

I paddled an Outburst many years ago when I was under 200#. As I have gained some weight, I've switched to a Dagger Animas and love that boat. I particularly liked the Outburst as a recreational slalom racing kayak as Mr. Shipley sorta designed this hull like a slalom boat. It carries incredible speed into upstream gates and turns well enough for recreational grad slalom events. I also taught out of it for a couple years as well. Still have the Animas and likely won't get rid of it, but if you're under 190 or so, this boat will perform nicely.

04-16-2012

Great Boat
Tracks and rolls well. Its a dependable and forgiving boat. Built to last, if you need a kayak with the specs. of this kayak, you wont be sorry.

02-28-2006
Submitted by: BudSend Email

Ah !! My first white water boat. It was like my first love; fast, fun, uncomfortable, and I had to let it go. I would not recommend the boat as a first boat for someone who is over 5' 10" in height or has feet bigger than a size ten. I think a better boat overall would be a Prijon Tornado (very big, fast, and fun old school boat) or one of the new flat bottom river runners made by all the manufactures (small, slow, and fun). The new boats have more comfortable outfitting which can be a god send if you spend much time in one. The Tornado I think you could live out of because it has no pillars and has great internal volume.

06-09-2005
Submitted by: RojoSend Email

I purchased an Outburst several years ago. I traded in my Response at the time of the purchase. That was a mistake. I find the Outburst to be to long making it clumsy. For example when eddying out the bow frequently strikes the rock that creates the eddy. The width of the boat also makes if feel as though it is a struggle to get it on edge. I would say that it would make a decent boat for a beginner because it is stable but you will quickly outgrow it. I disagree that this is a good choice in boats even for a beginner. The beginner will outgrow this boat after a few river trips. If you are looking for an all around boat - river running, surfing - I would recommend a Perception Supersport. It is much shorter than the Outburst and 10X more responsive.

12-02-2002
Submitted by: GJDSend Email

I'm big at 6'6" and 230. I love my old Outburst. Although long and uncomfortable around my feet I have always been impressed with its easy roll and the way it surfs. It also snaps into eddies like it is on rails. Still have it after all these years.

05-22-2001
Submitted by: BartmanSend Email

May seem high, but I love the boat because it teaches me to be a better paddler. It is the swiss Army kayak--it can do anything and everything! The fickle "NEW" market has deserted everything but the micro surf boat. Underrated boat that is great for beginners, great for people who want to get better, just plain great. Most people won't sell them anymore--impossible to replace!

03-14-2001
Submitted by: JDMJSend Email

I call it a first class ride for beginners. Effortless to roll upright. The length has several advantages. 1)Tends to go straight and fast in flat water 2) Easy to judge direction and relative current 3) Awesom enddos 4) Surfs holes and waves without getting sucked in. 5) punches through most holes. Negatives 1) hall ways are to short 2)Looks long 3)forget about squirts 4) Needs more volume and a blunter tip for serious creeking boat. Great learning boat!

01-06-2000
Submitted by: JCSSend Email

This is my flatwater workout boat now. It is fast, tracks well, and rolls without any effort. It is not quite as comfortable or as stable as my Animas. This would be a good beginner boat for somebody in the 140-190 lbs range that does not have real long legs or long legs and big feet.

10-21-1999

The Outburst was my first boat. It is made for paddlers up to 235 lbs. This is a great gernral purpose kayak. Maintains good speed on the flats, has room for gear on long trips, and sufrs well. It is a great boat for learning as it is stable and easy to roll, yet advanced enough to keep for years. Not a bad choice first time out.

03-28-1999
Submitted by: TJSend Email

The Outburst is a good all around Kayak for any paddler (not just beginners) who want a boat that will not restrict them to any single aspect of the sport. It's a great Kayak and I've had mine since the year it was introduced. I's also great for more traditional moves such as attaining and side surfing. There are too many beginners going out and buying planing hull surf machines. The Outburst is often underestimated.

10-30-1998
Submitted by: Jason LeonardSend Email

Good boat for the new Kayaker.

Zoar Outdoor
Free Shipping on all New Kayaks!
Rendezvous River Sports