Product Reviews > Kayaks > Hurricane Kayaks > Santee 116 Sport Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Santee 116 Sport Kayak by Hurricane Kayaks

Rated: 9.29/10 Based On: 17 Reviews

08-08-2013

I love my Santee 116 sport kayak! Tracks nicely, yet turns on a dime. Light and easy to car top, and is quite eye-catching. I have had tons of compliments on my boat - which I've had for 6 years. Hurricane gives good customer service too. A bit bouncy on waves due to short length - this is not an ocean boat. Does great in class I to III river rapids, watch out for the rocks even though the hull takes quite a beating with only minor scratches. Great kayak for it's intended use of lakes and rivers, I can paddle upstream on fast water better than anyone else I've paddled with. Quite useful when you overshoot the take-out, arghhh!

07-31-2013
Submitted by: Jason s.Send Email

I picked up one of these used last week. I've never been in a kayak before and have always wanted to try it. I found this one to be very easy to get in and out of and maneuver on the water. Granted, I have no experience with any others for a base of comparison, but I am very happy with this one and look forward to spending more time on Tahoe in it.

07-29-2013

Buyer Beware: In this boat you'll always be waiting for the other paddlers to catch up! This is my first and only kayak and I'm still in love...
The open cockpit is great for toting photographic gear, a cooler, a dog, or a small grandchild. This rec boat is oxymoronically sleek, light, and fast with space to stow camping gear.

07-25-2013
Submitted by: BGFSend Email

My Hurricane is beautiful. I'm a girl (or was a girl) and looks and matchy-matchy are a girl thing. So red and white kayak, red life jacket, etc. Having said that I have to say that the cockpit is not as comfortable as my Wilderness, but that's my only complaint. It tracks well, light weight and reasonably priced. Looks as good as my son's much more expensive yak.

11-04-2012
Submitted by: PJSSend Email

I have had mine for three years and love love love it. Lightweight and easier to mount and carry

11-17-2011

Recently purchased the 116 Santee Sport and truly enjoy it. I'm 64 and find it lite, easy to paddle, comfortable seat, and easy to get in/out. I love the mango color. I previously had a Wilderness System Tarpon 16' that I had for 5 years and had some great paddles in it.

05-19-2011

I'm a kayak fisherman and own five kayaks. I bought a Hurricane Santee 116 Sport because I wanted a paddler (I own two Hobies with Mirage Drives), but also because she's one of the prettiest kayaks that I've ever seen.

I rigged up a fishing console for her that hooks over the front of the coaming, so that I didn't have to put any holes in her hull to install rod holders and a dry box.

She's very light and comfortable, and she tracks and maneuvers well. She's also durable. I'm ashamed to admit that she's been dropped onto my garage floor, rammed into my garage door while on the roof of my car and dropped onto the ground from the roof of my car, but with no ill effects whatsoever. And did I mention that she's pretty?

The only disappointments I have are that her hull material is fairly soft (e.g., I gouged it the first time that I grounded her on some gravel) and she's not as fast as I had hoped, although my expectations were probably unrealistic for such a light and small kayak. Regarding her weight, since she weighs only 36 pounds, she's the easiest kayak I own to get onto the water and back, so I take her out a lot.

06-22-2010

This is a very nice boat for the money. I bought it for the big cockpit in order to carry a large telephoto lens.

The seat is very comfortable and easily adjustable. It has a cup holder and protective pads on the sides of the cockpit. The carrying handles are comfortable. The boat seems to be as light as advertised.

The boat performs well for my purposes (which are mostly photographic). My wife doesn't like the way it tracks though.

The only negative I have is the material. We also own an Eddyline Skylark, a more expensive boat, but with some comparable specs on paper. The Eddyline composite is much more solid and stiffer than the Hurricane's. They're not even close. Before you purchase the Hurricane you may want to check out the Eddylines. That being said, I think the Santee will hold up and there is a significant price difference. My point here is that not all composites are created equal.

12-13-2009

I purchased the Santee Sport model from Hurricane as my first kayak this past summer. I only intend to use the boat on local lakes for nothing more than fun and fitness. To this end the Santee has excelled quite nicely. The open cockpit provides easy entry, my storage compartments have remained completely dry and my boat actually does weigh a true 35lbs.

I feel the Santee is super manuverable, edges well for a rec. boat and has great primary and secondary stability (almost to the point of being a bit boring.) Compared with other recreational kayaks of the same size the Santee seems to track a bit better than most and has very good glide. Speed is also decent although I guess I was hoping for more. I would give the Santee a rating of 9 but Hurricane has provided my with such outstanding customer service I feel compelled to give it a 10. My boat started to develop slight bulges in the hull under the bulkheads and with a simple call to Hurricane they are rectifying the situation to my complete satisfaction. I even spoke with Hurricane's VP Brad Taylor and he was both very kind and helpful. Once again Hurricane appears to have wonderful customer service which is worth a great deal these days.

In summation, I would say the Santee Sport 116 is a fun, super stable good looking boat that is quite durable and is probably one of the top performing recreational kayaks available in the 12' range. My next kayak will be a Hurricane Category 5 as I am looking for a little more speed and excitement. Plus edging the swede form hull in turning is just plain fun!

05-14-2009
Submitted by: DennySend Email

I bought a Santee 116 as my first kayak after reading comments on paddling.net and have no regrets. I have had it on the water three times and couldn't be happier with it.

My wife wants to get involved in kayaking so we went to a local lake and rented two Necky's. I thought paddling my Santee was much easier. Looks like I may be buying another one for my wife. I have a closed cockpit. Being 60 years old I am not as limber as I used to be, so getting in and out is a bit more difficult. The Necky's we rented were open cockpit. I think I might have been more comfortable with that. My wife's will be open cockpit so hopefully she will let me try it out.

After having it in the water 3 times I am getting a small amount of water in both the fore and aft lockers. I will keep an eye on that.

The pro's are transportability, ease of paddling (see no need for the optional rudder), pretty comfortable seat, Trilone appears to be rugged enough, and the looks.
The con's would be that the accessibility of the foot pedals is cumbersome, and possibly the hull to deck joining (were the water is likely to be getting in the lockers)although a bit of marine grade caulk will fix the problem once found.

All in all I am very satisfied with the Santee 116.

05-10-2009
Submitted by: SteveSend Email

I have had the Hurricane Santee Sport 116 for about three weeks and love it. I'm new to kayaks and originally purchased a Perception Islander fishing kayak about six weeks ago. The Perception was too heavy for me to get on top of my Ford Explorer and I wanted something that was faster in the water.

The Santee Sport has met and exceeded all my expectations. It is light, easy to carry and quick in the water. It tracks well, turns easily and is a joy to use. Highly recommended.

08-25-2008
Submitted by: LSPSend Email

My wife and I have been renting kayaks for several years and this was the first boat that I purchased. After trying several different brands and designs I settled on the Santee Sport for 3 reasons: it is light and therefore easy to load and move around, it is FUN, and it is a good looking kayak. I am 5'9 and about 195 and it fits me just fine. I really like the open cockpit and the double bulkheads. My wife is 5'0 and 110 and she actually prefers a SOT so we bought her the Phoenix 120 and she loves it as well.

We may eventually move on to more serious boats, however we are having a blast with these. They are a great value for the money

08-18-2008
Submitted by: MichelleSend Email

I have owned my kayak for 18 months now and thought it was time to write a review. I use it on flat water lakes. It is wonderful. It tracks perfect. It is fast. It is super light for me to get on top of my car. And the huge opening is perfect for catching a few rays. I love everything about this boat and would recommend it to anyone!!

07-30-2008

I recently purchased a Santee 116 Sport for my wife. On the plus side, the kayak looks like a Cadillac compared to the traditional roto-cast construction. The larger opening is a must for easy entry and exit. The seat (a new design this year) is very comfortable and has good adjustments. It's lightweight(36#), making it the lightest in it's class. Very easy to pick up by one person. Stability is fare, some tippy movement when paddling.

When the wind is at your back, it doesn't track very well. It has excellent glide, but only fair speed. Being very expensive, compared to the roto-cast kayaks, it delivers on looks & comfort but is so-so on performance.

07-16-2007
Submitted by: SandraSend Email

I just purchased a Santee 116 Sport kayak! I am new to kayaking and was looking for a more stable boat. I tried several at a local kayak demo day. I was unimpressed. A friend let me try his Santee 116 XL which is the older version of the same kayak. I knew instantly that this was the boat for me. I am female and at 36# I can lift the boat alone. Its very stable in the water and would take quite a bit of rocking to actually tip it over. I like the large cockpit for comfort, storage, ease of getting in and out as well as sun exposure on the lower extremities. I highly recommend this kayak! Its reasonably priced and great fun to paddle!

01-23-2007
Submitted by: JMHSend Email

My wife and I got into kayaking about 3 years ago shortly after we moved to North Carolina. Our nearest kayak dealer, the Great Outdoor Provision Company, hosted a paddling expo at a local lake. We went down for the day and tried out a number of boats, mostly of the roto molded variety, as we knew we weren't in the market ($$) for a fiberglass or kevlar boat. We liked a few, but weren't sold on any of them. Just before the end of the expo, we finally got a chance to try out the Hurricane Santee 116. Love at first stroke! We bought a pair on the spot. For our preferred type of paddling (lakes and lazy streams), they are ideal. Made of Hurricane's stiffer Trylon plastic, they track well, are relatively fast, comfortable, have excellent stability, and are light weight (36 lbs). The only reason I scored the boat 9 out of 10 is because I have long legs and big feet. I position the foot pegs all the way down, and my toes tend to hit the underside of the deck. If I were to replace my boat, I would opt for the Santee 140, which, at 14 ft., would give me a bit more toe room (I think). At any rate...they are great boats!

09-25-2006
Submitted by: MSPSend Email

The designers at Hurricane delivered what they said on this one. For an 11 1/2 footer it tracks very well, turns easily, and is a pleasure to paddle. The beam is carried aft making the boat quick for it's length. The open cockpit makes it easy to jump in, and room to store a fly tube in my case. There is more room behind the very comfortable seat. For the tropics, you can't beat the open cockpit for staying cooler. I did get some water in over the bow from a boat wake, but it wasn't enough to get concerned about. A skirt may be necessary for rougher water. The kayak has two sealed compartments and two bulkheads, so no air bag is needed. At thirty five pounds, I can shoulder carry it, and car top it myself quite easily. I didn't hear any hull slap at all making it quite stealthy! This boat is a welcomed addition to my "fleet". Especially when I am kayaking alone.

NRS: