Product Reviews > Kayaks > Cobra Kayaks > Re-Vision Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Re-Vision Kayak by Cobra Kayaks

12-07-2007
Submitted by: fzSend Email

I've paddled the Revision quite a few times this past summer and now into the fall in Northern California. It is a long sit-on-top for kayaking, but that makes it faster to catch waves.

If you're just beginning, the Revision is very forgiving on small waves. It doesn't take much to keep the boat going where you want it to. Edging into the wave to make the boat carve is only a matter of shifting your weight a bit.

I took it out a few days when the surf got fairly big (8 - 9' swell). I caught a few waves on a point break and wave flying. The Revision was surprisingly smooth on a fast wave. I got a few late take-offs and found that it didn't pearl as I thought it would, and that it did a bottom turn without much work.

The only reason I wouldn't give this boat a 10 is that the foot 'grooves' aren't very well designed to use your feet for pressure. They slip off. They need some sort of bar or brace across the footwell that can be adjusted.

If you are a larger person this is a great sit-on-top for surfing. Very subtle changes make the boat turn on a wave. I would suggest putting the fin on if you want to get onto some larger waves. With a seatback, knee straps and some sort of way to keep your feet on, it performs very well in small or large waves.

10-30-2006

Danny Broadhurst designed this super sitdown surf machine with large, experienced watermen in mind. As an ocean lifeguard on LI with over 30 years experience playing and working in the surf, I was eager to test out Danny's keen idea as soon as it came out. At 260 lbs, my large ex-linebacker's body was way too large for all the other sit down surf machines floating around out there (strike,5-0,frenzy,riot,kaos,custom,etc,etc). So, I'd been making due in the surf since serious arthritis forced me to abandon stand up board surfing about 10 years ago with a Necky Dolphin which I eventually learned how to force cutbacks in after much trial and error. (In my opinion, if you can't crank cutbacks, you really aren't surfing in the modern sense.) My initial impressions of the Revision were that it paddled almost as fast as the slightly longer Dolphin. Then once I got into a few waves, well, it felt like I was almost standing up all over again. Turns can be initiated with or without lean, with or without brace - even hip twists make it turn effortlessly. And if you catch a real steep face, then lean is all you need to hold and drive an edge, or dig your paddle in deep and cut out, up and over the wave - your choice. Cutbacks can be slow and lazy or hard and mean with spray - also your choice. Want more speed down the line to beat out a little close-out section just up ahead or maybe you want to jump across a slow section to a better reform you see down the line - well, just lean forward a little bit or skooch forward in the seat and take a few gorilla strokes and you'll nearly jump out of the water with speed. I'm still working on popping off the lip aerial re-enties so I can consistently land them with enough reprojected forward speed to blast ahead of the chasing white water. The angling seems a little different, and it absolutely requires the installation of the optional skeg to fight off the Revision's natural tendency to sidesurf in soup. Danny deplored my installation of the skeg, saying it shouldn't be necessary for a "truly skilled paddler" with proper edging and wave selection abilities. Of course, I apologized for my technical shortcomings and invited the legend back out onto the water for a designer demonstration. Of course, in the meantime, I'll be keeping the skeg in place whenever I'm riding waves. I've also used it on slow moving rivers, lakes, inlets and bays, without the skeg and it works fine in those situations as a speedy recreational cruiser and as a shallow draft fishing platform. All in all, this Revision is one dam fine sit on surfing machine and a fairly decent paddling kayak to boot.