Product Reviews > Accessories > MSR MIOX Purifier Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for MSR MIOX Purifier

Rated: 7.5/10 Based On: 2 Reviews

Research Water Purifiers & Filters in the Buyers' Guide!
Water Purifiers & Filters
View Water Purifiers & Filters in Buyers' Guide

03-18-2008
Submitted by: BoxxerSend Email

I love the fact that water treatment technology continues to evolve and bring new ideas to the marketplace, however this device concerns me for one very large reason. Aside from protozoa and bacteria in water, there are also a multitude of other things that are floating around in water, things that chemical means (neither chemical tablets, iodine, or the MIOX) are capable of destroying.

I live in Michigan, and here we have what is known as the Hydated Tapeworm, it is primarily carried by Moose and Wolves, and is rampant in Isle Royale National Park. The problem with the worm is that is has a fairly thick protein shell around its eggs (as do some other parasites) that can survive everything but boiling. It is for reasons like this that I seriously question this device, I have used it for drinking water out of lake superior but would not consider drinking from an inland lake (moose feeding grounds)

If you don't have the tapeworm in your area this filter may work great, but definitely look into it before you buy one.

09-05-2006

I've used the Miox for the past three years during long (200 - 400 nautical miles) kayaking trips in Southeast Alaska. It works well, and when it doesn't it is our vault. We (2 adults) treat approximately 8 liters a day if the sun is shining and less if it isn't. It usually isn't, so lets say 6 7 liters.

We've beat the low salt indicator problem through trail and error, but have yet to solve the low battery issue. I'm thinking of using the same approach as my car check engine light; electric tape over the offending led. I use a set of batteries a summer and another during the rest of the year. Practice has taught us it is easier to treat a three-liter container through two 2-liter applications rather than one 4-liter application. The test strips are a deep purple so, while the science on that may be weird, the application is fine.

We haven't used a pump filter for two summers we carry one as back-up and hope never to need to do so again. Wait time issue is, in my opinion, not worth debating since in a kayak we can always carry a liter or two as back-up while we wait for the next batch to "bake". Smell and taste dissipates with time and is generally not noticeable.