Product Reviews > Accessories > Sea Kayaker's Deep Trouble Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Sea Kayaker's Deep Trouble

Note: This Book is available for purchase in the Paddling.net Store!

Research Books, Videos, & More in the Buyers' Guide!

10-10-2006

Excellent book- a lot of useful tips in the "Lessons Learned" especially. As a Scottish paddler though I can't help but be amazed by the sheer stupidity of some of the tales. For example, how anyone could consider going out in a sea kayak, in winter, with no winter wetsuit or drysuit beggars belief. Most of these kayakers have been exceedingly lucky to live. Maybe more of us should paddle alone sometimes (I do), it certainly enhances proper planning and makes you think of the "what if?" scenarios in far more detail. Maybe too many folk think their friends are their saviours should things go pear shaped when they may be even more unprepared!!

09-01-2006

Sea Kayaker’s Deep Trouble is a phenomenal swashbuckling read and a stellar learning tool. The book, written and edited by the Sea Kayaker magazine staff, is a collection of short vignettes and maps about various kayak adventures that, well, ended in deep trouble. The writing style is effective and well paced, giving the adventures a very vivid “feel” for the paddling reader. Interestingly, the stories are set throughout the USA, but I notice that the majority of vignettes are set in the Pacific Northwest, especially Seattle. Either this is the location of some very severe kayak weather leading to profound tragedies, or this is home port for the writers of this book. Either way, more stories from various parts of the country—for instance the warm waters of the Keys—would be welcomed.

The absolute value of this book, and the reason I would recommend it so very profoundly, is in the lessons learned from each and every tale. So many times, while reading this book, I’d say to myself, “I have done that…I have been without proper clothes”. Or, “I have been without a spare paddle,” for instance. And then you read about the treacherous outcomes for many of these paddlers. For some, a fatal mistake. This book minces no words, and often the tales are told by those involved, the actual surviving paddlers.

Although I would have liked to see a more diverse geography for the paddling adventures, I highly recommend this book for its educational value.

Katadyn: