Product Reviews > Kayaks > Heritage Kayaks > Redfish 12 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Redfish 12 Kayak by Heritage Kayaks

Rated: 8.86/10 Based On: 7 Reviews

03-24-2010

I've had my Redfish 12 for three months. I pushed it down a snow bank to take it out the first time, that's how eager I was to try it out! I paddle mostly deep Georgia reservoir lakes and the Chattahoochee River.

The Redfish is super stable, the seat is comfortable, and the kayak is fast after only a couple strokes. There is plenty of room out back for a crate with four rods, a soft tackle bag, drinks and cameras. The front hatch holds plenty of gear for an overnight trip

I'm over 6 feet tall and 210 lbs, the kayak carries me and my gear effortlessly. The fit and finish are first class. I've had several compliments on the Redfish's stealthy profile.

I mounted a portable fish finder on top of the front hatch cover using bungee cords. I made an aluminum transducer bracket that matches the side profile of the Redfish. Next I made a small square aluminum piece that slides into the foot peg rail. I mount the transducer to it with a wing nut. By mounting the fish finder this way it is 100 percent portable and a breeze to put on and off the kayak.

I'm over 60 yrs old in pretty decent health and loading and unloading the 12 ft Redfish from pickup truck racks is simple. I would recommend the Redfish to anyone. I'm so satisfied, I am getting a Redfish 10 as a second boat for my wife and friends to use. You will be happy you bought the Heritage Redfish 12.

10-17-2008
Submitted by: DaveSend Email

Purchased this Redfish 12 in 2007; had it out 8 or 9 times on big lakes. It is very stable; I put my legs over the side to fish. Very fast when paddling. Great seat to sit back and watch the wild life, or take pictures.

Highly recommend for beginners; would buy again in a heartbeat. Bought it at Country Kayaks in PA.

07-24-2008
Submitted by: RAMSend Email

Just got a great deal on a Redfish 12 Angler with rudder the kayak is great very stable. The rudder is a great addition when in wind or current. Have not had a chance to fish yet, but can't wait.

06-06-2008
Submitted by: ACSend Email

Taken my boat out on the sea only a couple of times so far. But I really like my little boat.
My very first impression was the stability of the thing. I have had a few problems with weather vaning, but the problem is easily sorted out with a little adjustment. I will also admit that paddling against the wind can be tough, but isn't that the case with all yaks?

I haven't taken my kayak out too far on the sea yet, because we haven't had a calm enough day in Ireland yet (Also, I must admit I'm not the bravest). But the fact that I am pushing the boundary farther and farther should be a testament to my faith in this yak.

05-16-2008
Submitted by: JLC

I got a great deal on the angler version at a boat show. It is an outstanding fishing platform. The initial stability is outstanding; in fact, I launch from boat ramps and step into the kayak from the docks without even getting wet!

The boat is very efficient and comfortable; nice hatches, great attention to details; good anchor system. Very well appointed craft for fishing.

However, this is not a craft for big water. I agree that it is somewhat slow to to its enormous beam size. It also tracks horribly downwind, although upwind handling is exceptional. The boat exhibits significant weathercocking. I have heard that this craft demands a rudder; I can certainly believe it.

04-23-2008

I like this boat, BUT, it is very high in the water and the wind grabs it, I am constantly spinning around, can't keep up with my paddling companions. It's a great boat for kids, and goofing around on. VERY stable.

08-23-2006
Submitted by: KC

I love the stability particularly when large boat wakes are present. The flat floorboard area is great for taking feet out of the supports and stretching. The heavier weight makes the boat a lot slower than my companions Kayak which has narrower bow and stear for slicing through the water, but for fishing it is great. I rigged a small anchor on a slidable rope so I can easily anchor from the bow, side, or stearn. It is a very adaptable and comfortable boat.

Rendezvous River Sports