Product Reviews > Kayaks > Ocean Kayak > Scrambler - XT Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Scrambler - XT Kayak by Ocean Kayak

Rated: 8.08/10 Based On: 36 Reviews

12-18-2012
Submitted by: John ESend Email

We still import the Scrambler XT from the NZ OK plant. We prefer it over the current Scrambler 11 because of it bomber stability for carrying 2 scuba tanks or 2 children. I've surfed it both ways in good size waves. The scupper holes are necessary to drain the water washing on board in rough water (ie surfing). It's the best rental as a single due to it's stackability. Low seat=low CG=wet butt so best in warm waters. The original Scrambler is more fun as a surf kayak but the higher seat means less stability and less gear capacity.

04-17-2012
Submitted by: DJLSend Email

Purchased a Scrambler 11 last summer for fishing on the UK south coast. Added the X lock front hatch which is a poor fit and would recommend looking at an alternative. Scotty holders and fish finder fitted.

This Kayak is an excellent platform for fishing, very stable and comfortable if you fit holders that are in reach but don't interfere with paddling. Tracking is not perfect but better than most sit on's without a rudder or skeg. Speed is OK for a kayak of this length. Overall a number one all-round Kayak which I will be continuing to use this year.

09-26-2011

I have the Scrambler XT with built-in fishing rod holders. It's a great single-person SOT kayak; I use it often on a salt-water bay, and occasionally on the ocean (NJ coast).

06-28-2011
Submitted by: HenrySend Email

My first yak. It flipped on my first trip. Everything at the bottom of a very deep river, including two rods, tackle box and phone. Maybe not the yak's fault, I used a canoe seat which raised my CG two inches, don't know. But it was pretty slow also. Seemed to be pretty good quality except the seat it comes with would kill you.

02-01-2011

I bought the Scrambler XT SOT about 1 1/2 yrs ago...mostly for my lab mix dog. The kayak is perfect for her and me both. The kayak tracks fairly well, and is extremely stable. I can help her up on to the kayak without tipping, even in deep moving water.

My number one complaint is the WET SEAT! I tried 2 different style scuppers...neither style worked at all. I ended up solving the problem by permanently sealing the holes. I placed the scupper in the holes, then filled them with expanding foam insulation, and then sealed top and bottom with silicone sealer. Makes for a nice dry ride.

The kayak is simple to to turn over if you do get water on the deck. Honestly, I don't see the purpose for the holes thus do not regret permanently sealing them.

08-12-2010
Submitted by: davidSend Email

I have had my boat for 2yrs, my brother and I each bought one new. We have enjoyed them both until recent discovery of leaks. The manufacturer offers a welding kit but this is tricky business, you could do more damage attempting use of it. I am using Problem Plastic Repair from 3M, $28 for 7 oz.

07-08-2008

Excellent boat! Tracks well, turns well, great price, fun fishing or just cruising boat....Let's face it, few of us are going to be doing hardcore expeditions. Just get a boat that's fun, fun, fun! Add grab handles for $12.50 (plus shipping) from Austin canoe & kayak if you want something more to help car top. For the money you CANNOT beat this boat. I have 6 other kayaks/canoes and this is my new favorite!

06-10-2008
Submitted by: bhaskellSend Email

I previously owned a surfjet kayak, which totally ripped while playing in the waves, but was horrible for any sort of flat water paddling. Recently gas prices have gotten so outrageous, I was looking for some healthy, self-propelled fun. Basspro shops had a great sale on the scrambler XT angler for $399.88, including the OC seat. I purchased two for that price, figuring I'd have another boat if I wanted a paddling partner.

After a couple of trips, I feel the XT angler is an average SOT kayak. For an all around SOT, the XT performs pretty well in the surf, moves decently through the flat water and is manageable in the wind and chop. The biggest thing I find wrong with this kayak is it's ability to track straight on flat water. The deck layout is very versatile, the bungie areas front and rear serve well for holding down gear. The forward hatch is kinda cramped unless you just cram stuff in there willy-nilly.

As long as you don't plan to cover 10 miles in a day, the XT angler will serve you well. This boat is good for slow moving rivers and short expeditions over the flat water or playing in the surf.

04-14-2008
Submitted by: NormondoSend Email

I've had my XT for 10 years and as my friend's kayaks come and go, my Scrambler XT has been the best out of all of them. Thanks Ocean Kayak.

09-18-2007
Submitted by: Jimx200Send Email

After a testing this kayak (also tested a Tarpon 120 and Red Fish), I bought a new one and happy as a clam. Over the weekend, I took it down a Class II river and it's very stable, easy to turn, pretty dry for a SOT, and holds a line well. It moves faster than expected. Next paddle was on a calm lake and found it pretty fast, able to hold a straight line, quiet, and VERY comfortable (6'2"/215). Excellent deck layout. I see myself keeping this boat for a long time.

09-06-2006

I recently purchased a Scrambler XT fishing version and I really like it. I have used it in the bay, on rapids, and in slow rivers. It is a very stable kayak. You are seated low to increase stability. It tracks well. It is easy to get in and out of. I wish the back well was 1" wider so I could fit a milk crate in it, right now I do it with bungees. One thing I do not like about it is there aren't many flat surfaces to mount any accessories (such as a rod-holder).

08-02-2006

OCEAN KAYAK (SOT Scrambler XT angler edition). I purchased an Ocean Kayak Scrambler early in Spring (2006). This little floater is great for glass-calm waters, and handles pretty well going bow-first, headlong into moderate winds and bay chop. It's a nice little fishing vessel for kayaking newbees, and occassional paddlers. I would not recommend it for anything more serious or more frequent. Sidelong winds make controling the craf very difficult. The fishing pole holders are a great way for water to get into the hull, and they are positioned BEHIND the seat area (difficult to reach if you have back problems.... GREAT for trolling). My MAJOR issue with this vessel.... the plastic warps VERY easily in the heat! In 100+ degree temps that we are experiencing this summer, I can't seem to make it 5 miles down to road to the creek without the craft losing its factory molded shape. Hull-drag sucks! Re-shaping the craft after each outing in severe heat sucks! If anyone has ideas on how to prevent this problem from garage on bow-point storage to the creek 5 miles away, or any longer trips for that matter, PLEASE LET ME KNOW! I can not afford to upgrade at this time, so any help in maint. would be appreciated. NOTE: I do NOT have this problem in cooler temperatures (85 and below).

06-27-2005

I owned the Scrambler. I just sold it because I don't have a need for sit on tops anymore. Great boat.

I have a suggestion for those wet seats. Buy plugs for the holes in the seat and never take them out (kayak shops either have them or can get them). The plugs will stay tight if you don't handle them, and you'll stay dry. Worked for me. There are enough other holes for water displacement.

Scrambler is definitely for smaller people, XT is for everyone. Great for diving. Doesn't surf as easy as the Ocean Kayak Frenzy.

02-28-2005

Tried out the scrambler the other day and this is what I found.

Positives: Its light weight makes this very easy to paddle. Even if the tracking isn't true it is very easy to maneuver and keep on course. This is one kayak you could paddle all day without wearing yourself out.

Negatives: Wet ride and hull slap. I had wet butt pretty much the whole time I sat in this thing (not so bad for warm weather). Was out on some tidal creeks with minimal chop and had very prominent hull slap. For recreational purposes this isn't a problem, but don't think I'd want that if I was going to try to fish from this yak.

08-09-2004
Submitted by: Rick JohnsonSend Email

My first kayak was a set of Mallards which I loved (one for me and one for my daughter) but when her 'mother' and 'brother' visited we discovered that 2 boats weren't enough so started to look for aditional kayaks for loaners to guests.

At first I didn't care for them for two reasons (hence the lower rating), a) they are wet boats. If you use a SOT, be prepared to be wet. so all gear needs to be in waterproof bags to stay dry. b) they ride too high when empty. We were practicing exit and re-entry and the wind took the boat and I had to swim after it. The fact that anyone in a SOT in Arizona is looking for sunburn is irrelevant. The only other problem was that the Scrambler was made for Scuba divers (my daughter dives) but the rear storage, though designed for a tank, has no drain-holes so quickly fills with water. I think that if OC would put drain holes in the rear, you would have an excellent boat.

I did modify my Scramblers by running pad-eyes along both sides of the bow & stern storage areas so I can use an elastic motorcycle cargo net to hold gear and this works very well. I also found that when I leave the kayak, re-entering a Scrambler is easy and safe which is a big selling point as I cannot swim. Plus they are tough and can take any punishment I give them from running onto a beach to striking underwater rocks and trees.

One last thing, I bought the Scrambler for me and the XT for my daughter because it was wider and more stable. We ended up trading because she likes the speed and narrow hull of the Scrambler but I like the stability and cargo capacity of the XT. Given a chance, I'd buy two more Scramblers simply because in the Arizona heat, the wetness of a SOTis a big plus and in rough water, re-entry is simple and safe.

08-02-2004
Submitted by: joeSend Email

Scrambler XT - Great kayak, fun, fast, and does not flip. I take it on 14 mile trips once a week and can't wait to get it on the water again. If you have not got your kayak yet try an XT before you but one.

01-26-2004

Easy paddling and good performance.Generally handled surf well while getting out to fish but did flip vertically backwards in 5ft breaking wave and was abit frightening.

12-31-2003

I bought this boat about 6 years ago to fish the backwaters of the Mississippi River in Illinois. It is the most fun thing I own and I use it at the expense of my fishing boat and canoe. It takes me places the bass boats can't get to and I can spend the day in solitude catching bass. I am 230# and can take my 70# Golden Retreiver along without a stabilty or manuverability problem. Its a wet ride but I knew that when I bought it. I can also play in the wakes of the big boats on the main river.The boat has stood up well over the years. It has some deep scratches but doesn't leak and doesn't take water through the rubber hatches. It spends quite a bit of time outside, unprotected and I have not noticed any deterioration in the hull material. I added the lifting staps a few years ago and they make putting it on a car a lot easier.

07-02-2003
Submitted by: WyattSend Email

I am new to kayaking and just purchased my first boat.....the Scrambler XT. I am more than happy with the boats stability and performance. I live in Ocean Springs, Mississippi and enjoy paddling the back bayous and the gulf. I test paddled the Scrambler, Drifter, and Scupper Pro...but all things considered I think the XT was my best choice. It doesn't have quite the speed of the Scupper Pro but it is more stable, easier to turn, and fits easily into the bed of my Nissan truck. I am very happy with my XT.

06-09-2003

Great 12' boat for rivers and surf. It maneuvers well for its length and is very stable, thanks to a low seat. It's a bit heavy, but that's a good tradeoff for those who will be giving it a pounding. The walls are thick enough to take it. I run Class III with no problem. I installed the center hatch, but seldom use it. It's not really accessible while you're in the boat, and it's just as easy to use waterproof bags with the numerous deck straps. It'll easily haul coolers, scuba tanks, etc. with the generous stern well. Not a speedster, but it'll suffice for moderate-length flatwater trips with a skilled paddler.

04-14-2003
Submitted by: TomSend Email

Great boat. I've used mine in Atlantic surf in both NJ and the Outer Banks with many different wave conditions and found it stable yet maneuverable for my age 50+ 225 lbs. I have also used it in class I-II whitewater, in mountain lakes for touring, fishing, in a bay for gathering scallops, and just fun. Sometimes I wish I'd gotten the regular Scrambler for a bit quicker handling....but this is a fun all-purpose kayak.

02-03-2003
Submitted by: GarySend Email

Excellent all round kayak for anything. Not perfect for anything but you cant expect that in an all round boat. Fantastic fun!!

09-03-2002
Submitted by: TedSend Email

WET! Eventhough most sit on tops are wet, I sat in a puddle of water all day. I am used to dry ride sit on tops. I should have checked to see if they rented scupper plugs. Scupper plugs are a poor excuse for bad design.

The tracking on the boat was poor. If I stopped paddling, the boat would spin around in the opposite direction (no wind or current issues that day).

My standard milk crate that fits in some of the other kayaks I have paddled did not fit in the tank well, but I bungied it on the back anyway. I brought my anchor and attached it to the bow. I was halibut drift fishing off Ventura, CA. The stability of the boat was excellent, and the speed was average. There are too many other newer kayak designs that offer equal to better stability, a drier ride and better tracking for me to do anything else than rent this boat when forced to. I know next time to bring my wetsuit.

07-02-2002
Submitted by: Frank

Having no other real kayak experience, I am well satisfied with my Scrambler XT. It has performed well in moderate surf and swells for both surfing and as a fishing platform. Also in class 2 rivers for overnight trips. It has good stability and storage, epecially with optional hatches. It could be faster but currently can outrun a 17 foot canoe with two good paddlers. Also, my German Shepherd seems to like it and can climb on even in deep water; that's pretty damn stable!

09-17-2001
Submitted by: LanceSend Email

Just got the Scrambler XT, my first kayak. I'm 6'3" 240 lbs., I can stretch my legs out straight, haven't been able to do that in other sit-on-tops I've tried. Very stable, big nose prevents waves from splashing in... love this kayak!

11-16-2000

What's NOT to like about the Scrambler XT? Every kayak design compromises on some performance factors in favor of others. For instance, maneuverability for tracking, or stability for speed. I think the XT has averaged out ALL the performance factors to the best possible advantage for the paddler, fisherman, and diver in the 160 to 210 pound range (and much more without dive gear). For price and performance, the XT is simply one of the best choices out there!

From what I've seen, the Scrambler XT is possibly the most popular dive kayak in the world for divers in the weight range I mentioned above. Ample storage, very stable with lots of room in the cockpit, a good medium distance paddler, extremely durable, and a lot of fun in the surf once you master the brace and steering, are just some of the reasons why we love our XTs for diving.

We almost always take two tanks out on our XTs. Most of us stack both tanks in the tank well but one of the gang still prefers to secure his second tank up on the foredeck or between his knees. As with the regular Scrambler, start with the front hatch only, it's all you'll need anyway on the XT!

If you are scubadiving from it and making surf entries and exits, don't forget to add a few more sets of eyelets around the tank well to further secure your expensive gear with bungee cords. This goes for ALL kayaks with a tank well! I also recommend a bungee or two across the front oval hatch to keep your weightbelt from knocking the cover off if you happen to roll in the surf.

When you are done diving, offload your dive gear and take the XT back out to play in the surf. It's great!

09-10-2000
Submitted by: AdamSend Email

I live in South Florida and decided to purchased the Scrambler XT around two months ago. I am very pleased with its performance. It is very stable and tracks well in moderate surf. My first time out we had up to 3 ft swells and had no problems. It makes snorkel and scuba excursions fun and safe. If you are into beach diving you must buy this kayak! It is much more fun to paddle to the dive site(also conserves air). This kayak is very easy to get in and out of. And with a dive flag mounted to stern of the kayak boaters are more likely to steer clear of you. One draw back is that the kayak turns very easy in breaking waves so you must correct with paddle. I have days where I ride the waves straight in and then other days when I get dumped over (FYI)It depends on the break. If your looking to surf buy a surf board! For under $800 dollers I bought the Scrambler XT, custom seat, paddle, and soft racks. The scrambler is stackable there is no question I am going to buy another one.

07-18-2000
Submitted by: unltdSend Email

Just moved to Naples(Long Beach)Calif. Paddling around the island is the best after work stress buster I could have found at any price. 10 minutes on the water with this very stable boat and my head is clear and in a great place. Love it.

02-17-2000
Submitted by: Dennis O'KeefeSend Email

I purchased my XL to ride in low to moderate surf. While it is exceptionally stable and great fun to paddle, it is very difficult to manoevre in the surf and I would be looking for a shorter craft, such as the Ocean Kayak "Frenzy", to play in the surf. However, if you just want to be able to get out through the beach break, the bulbous bow makes the task very easy and the craft just crashes through the surf. Paddling around outside the surf line is great. The XL tracks beautifully. Coming back in, the XL will just sit in the wave and you really don't have to worry about it pearling. It's limitation is that it is very difficult to carve in a wave so there is no getting off until you hit the beach.

12-13-1999

For a big guy like myself, 250 lbs., the Scrambler XT is by far the best kayak for fishing. Don't even waste your time with anything else, Go for the best, get an Ocean Kayak.

08-03-1999
Submitted by: BobSend Email

I live on a lake and the scrambler is very stable, even just sitting still in the water. Faster than my 15' canoe. I bought it primarily for the ocean surf. It is great fun in all light and moderate surf. The only problem is it often gets turned sideways easily if you choose to ride the surf after it breaks ,requiring a strong brace with the paddle into the wave to finish the ride, usually sideways. I weigh 165 and my son-in-law weighs 260 + and it balances and rides fine in the surf for both of us. I spent 35 years sitting on my surfboard, mostly waiting for waves. In the scrambler I can catch almost everyting. A fun boat!

07-29-1999
Submitted by: Kris

Texas native and grab the water where I can find it. Paddle the rivers I - II,creeks, lakes, bays and open surf. This boat is stable and predictable. Very manuverable in current and surf. This is a good boat for a day trip or overnighter. Working hard can keep up with a slow tandem canoe. Winter time slip on a pair of rodeo shorts and go. For the price and fun factor the XT is a good boat.

06-01-1999

I like the Scrambler a lot. I've paddled whitewater for over 20 years and always looked upon sit-on-tops as "toys". Maybe they are, but they really are a lot of fun. I'll never look down on them again. I perfer the scrambler for any lake or other still-water trip. I have a 55# Lab that I take on the Scrambler sometimes and the rock-solid stability is welcome.

05-04-1999
Submitted by: BMMSend Email

Great for fishing...so stable I can hang my legs over the sides. Could be a little faster, but strong launching through the surf, and making it back in upright in the waves.

03-18-1999

Most popular boat in our rentals, instructional and channel islands trip fleet. Stable (hi initial, low secondary), predictable, takes abuse, stacks. Personally prefer perception swing for same tasks.

10-01-1998
Submitted by: W.L.D.Send Email

Primarily used as a fishing platform, the Scrambler-XT has exceeded all my expectations. Though not as fast as some sit on tops, it maintains a reasonable speed and tracks fairly well. Much more stable than I anticipated. A little awkward to load but, manageable.