Product Reviews > Kayaks > Aire > Lynx I Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Lynx I Kayak by Aire

Rated: 9.5/10 Based On: 6 Reviews

Lynx I Kayak by Aire

Length: 10' 2" - Width: 37.00" - Starting at: $1359.00
See More Details about this Kayak
Aire Logo

07-31-2013

I recently bought this duckie for whitewater. I was paddling a whitewater kayak but I decided the Aire Lynx IK was more to my style. I kept renting duckies at a local river. Then my husband and I decided to get into whitewater kayaking. After a few rivers with the whitewater kayaks I decided I was more comfortable in a duckie.

The duckies at the rental companies are definitely different from the Aire Lynx. They generally have bigger tubes and you sit down farther in them. The Aire Lynx is much more like a sit-on-top in this respect. You will sit higher and the tubes are smaller. This makes for a more maneuverable IK.

I have been paddling my Lynx on class 2 & 3 rivers now. I really like it. I don't have the concern about flipping and rolling as I know I will just fall out of the Lynx. I purchased thigh braces and they are a great thing to have to feel more one with the kayak. And don't forget to get the foot pegs. The Lynx has a reinforced spot already for the foot pegs to mount into.

The Lynx is easy to inflate. It is very portable, too. I originally purchased the (Aire) Tributary Strike IK, but due to circumstances I sent it back and got the Lynx instead. I am glad because the Lynx is an inflatable kayak that I will never feel the need to upgrade.
It is pricy. But it is US made and has a great warranty.

06-10-2011
Submitted by: - Rating: 10 of 10
This review courtesy of www.altrec.com

My husband and I love our Lynx 1 kayaks. Stable and fast (not quite as fast as the Force XL). Easy to maneuver. Also easy to flip back over (when needed) and hop in and go.
Great product!

09-23-2010

I owned this IK for a little under a year. Nice durable construction made to take any thing thrown at it. Especially with the warranty it has. I did find it to be a little uncomfortable but that's just me, in my mid 50's. Mostly, I had an ankle fatigue issue from putting pressure on thigh straps, and where the Keeper footbraces could have been mounted, seemed a little low for me. This may be hard to comprehend for all you Aire- heads out there, but my Sea Eagle Explorer (bought before Lynx) is like a comfortable sofa going down the river,plus it's a lot less hassle to clean and dry.(Lynx advantages) faster inflation , lighter weight.

09-20-2010

We bought this boat for the Ocoee river in Tennessee. We have paddled hard boats but wanted an inflatable for the bigger water. So off we went on the middle Ocoee after 1 month of scouting and talking to people. Thanks to the boat it has gone very well. We have taken the raft lines through the heavier stuff and taken easier lines when we have chickened out.

The boat handles the bigger water and holes very well and turns quick enough to pick your way through the secondary lines. It is also nice to have room for dry bags and an extra paddle.

We chose this model because we wanted the best. We have a house 5 miles from the river and we plan on using the heck out of them. After one summer they only show light scuffs and no sign of wear at all. Everyone that sees it says "I wanted that one but didn't have the money". It really is that good. The Cheetah seat has varied opinions but we have grown to like it. We have also found that it needs to be placed further forward than you think it would. Our feet fall at the drain holes. We will add the foot pegs because sometime you need the extra power. I do wish it had a relief valve on the main tubes. I find the pressure very sensitive to temperature changes and I worry that it will over inflate in the sun. So, I have to carry a pump with me in case it drops because of the cold water.

Some say this boat is fool proof. I am proof that it is not fool proof. The river has made a fool out of me despite this boat on several occasions. You absolutely cannot jump in this boat and shoot class 4/5 rapids without doing your homework. If you do your homework this boat can handle anything you want to do.

Bottom line: if you can pay a little extra money I suggest you buy the higher end Aires. It may be the last boat you ever buy.

07-02-2007

My current stable of inflatable kayaks consists of the Aire Lynx, Aire Strike, Aire Caracal tandem, and an Inova Safari. I got the Lynx for class 3+/4 rivers and so I had two single boats for that purpose, the other being the Strike. That way I can have a friend or my wife go with me.

I have had the Lynx on the Sacramento Sims to Vollmers run, the Trinity Pigeon Point section, and the Rogue River Graves to Agness wild and scenic run. The main difference I noticed with the Lynx is that it seemed a little more stable on the drops probably due to a little more rocker than the Strike. The Lynx makes you feel a little more up in the air than the Strike so logically it seems the Strike would be less tippy, but I feel the Lynx is very stable.

The Lynx is about $350 more than the Strike and you get 4 less lbs, 1/2" larger tubes, and a 10 year warranty vs 5 for the Strike. It is a tough call whether the Lynx is really worth the extra money. I can say I really like both boats have no regrets on purchasing either one. The deciding factor would probably be that if you are doing rapids with lots of 3' or larger drops you might find the Lynx worth the extra money. If you are doing Class 3- and less, the Strike is all the boat you will need.

07-26-2006
Submitted by: Eric GilmoreSend Email

I have been paddling the Lynx I for two years now. Its main use for me is solo float trips, from day trips in California to week-long fishing trips in Alaska and Argentina. I have taken it loaded through class III rapids and it performed splendidly. I'm thinking about getting a Lynx II to load for longer trips, but I have been very happy with the Lynx I.

Rendezvous River Sports