Product Reviews > Accessories > Martin Creek Kayak Storage Rack Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Martin Creek Kayak Storage Rack

Research Storage - Kayak/Canoe/Paddle in the Buyers' Guide!

03-21-2012
Submitted by: kayakjoeSend Email

I have used both of Martin Creeks Storage racks. The KSR-1000 is very easy to use, the neoprene covers keep the kayak from touching the metal. The J-Rack works great in my garage where space is important.

Each time I have ordered a rack from Martin Creek it comes super fast. I have ordered from both the web site and over the phone. The Owners are the ones you talk to when calling and have always been super helpful when deciding which rack is be suited for my needs. I will be ordering again soon with another kayak on the way this spring!

07-05-2006

I agree with the previous entry. The neoprene sleeves do not even fully cover the bars! However, it does work fine for my particular kayak if used properly, immediately "locking" the kayak in by using the accompanying click straps. Even the rubber tips at the end of the cradles can press in and mark up a kayak unless you be sure and snap at least one of the click straps. The straps serve to "suspend" the boat away from the cradle's upper tips and keep it from resting solely on the cradle. I keep a 28 lb. K-1 style boat on a Martin Creek. Even with such a light boat, I have to be careful about making sure the boat is not in contact with the metal cradle or rubber tips right on its upper pressure points--where the kayak's weight rests against the cradle. I have the cradle screwed into a wooden fence in my back yard. It works, but there are a few design considerations that Martin Creek needs to address. First, the cradle definitely needs more neoprene. But in addition, perhaps more model options depending on kayak type, or some system to adjust the angle or depth of the cradle. Perhaps if the "u" shaped cradle had a gently curved upper part, shaped outward--away from the kayak--for easier kayak entry and less facility to "poke" the boat bottom at its upper pressure points.... Or perhaps just forego the design for a soft sling style. I do end the review saying: it works just fine for my light craft but you might want to try one before committing it to a typically sized and weighted sea kayak.

07-05-2006

Perhaps we are using different racks from Martin Creek, but the one I use, the KSR 1600 works wonderful. It doesn't have any straps as mentioned by the previous poster, so I assume we are talking about different models.The one I have works just fine.

07-03-2006

The neoprene sleeves slide around and can easily expose your boat to direct contact with the rack bars. The bars themselves are soft and fairly easily bent or twisted.

You must be careful of the rack if you have a plastic boat and handle it yourself. Ours are about 60 pounds and unless you are very careful of the rack, I wouldn't go with anything heavier.