Product Reviews > Kayaks > Ocean Kayak > Scupper Pro Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Scupper Pro Kayak by Ocean Kayak

Rated: 8.92/10 Based On: 52 Reviews

08-26-2013
Submitted by: 808 in CanadaSend Email

By far the best kayak out there! I used to live in Hawaii and my Ohana and I would surf them and kayak out from Ewa Beach against 8' swells. Handled awesome out there!

Moved to Canada (BC) thanks to the Army and I went kayaking with my new friends out to the Indian Arm. They all had double kayaks (Canadian submarines as I call them) and my scupper pro was loaded to the max. Long story short, I had an easy paddle by myself, leading the pack of 6 double kayaks and received tons of looks! It cut through the wind and waters with ease. Plus we camped overnight and my yak served as a great cooler full of beers while all my fellow Canucks licked their lips in thirst.

08-23-2013
Submitted by: Mark RSend Email

where to start!!!
suppose a 9 plus.....here on these babes
I'm a kayak nut been kayaking since 1986 in Cal moved home to Fla in 1998 to live on the salt water.
  1. this boat does everything ok...fairly fast...you can load it with junk...it's stable...you can even fish DRUNK on it!
  2. we own 3 now and I've sold 2 of the older classics ONLY because I dive also....and this is my main driver to get to a kayak scuba site. You can assemble your tank,BC, and reg set up prior to getting underway in the rear tank well. this thing is a pick up truck on the water!
  3. no BS now it's not my favorite boat...it's no Eddyline.
it's just a durable tank....

my favorite yaks in order are:
1) Eddyline Raven my daily ride ... it's da bomb
2) Eddyline Merlin for tight areas or flat water
3) Perception Avatar for long distance where I'm on oysters and rocks lol
4) the Scuppers..... and we own 3 of um! great for company or just amateur night..;) they are the barn mares ...

07-15-2013

IMO this is probably the best SOT ever in the 15-16' length range. A lot of thought went in to it's design. There's a lot of things I really like about this boat. It's surprising how stable it is for a 26" width. It has some rocker fore and aft. Rocker is very important when trying to get past waves. It allows you to go up and over rather than slicing right into the wave. It also helps when turning/maneuvering.

The TW is great-not to big/not to small. While not the fastest it's narrow design makes maintaining good speed/glide easier than most boats in this length. Very comfortable for me but the seat width might be to tight for larger folks. Weight is less than others in this class which can be a real issue if you're alone.

Hard to believe Ocean discontinued this one for the second time. I guess the sales just weren't there or they want to push the 15' Prowlers. Anyway the good news is RTM now holds the rights on this one and are selling it as the Tempo. Though I now paddle the Prowler 13 Angler because the shorter length is easier to live with this is still a great boat.

07-01-2013
Submitted by: Mo tonySend Email

Bought and used in river with rock bottom. I'm 5.8 235 and 36 with spinal fustian in 2000. First boat Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro 14.9 for $450 and love it. Hope it will serve me well; Plan on 1 or 2 times a week. Just got bored with the hassle of motor boats... I can throw this on my shoulder

05-27-2013
Submitted by: GreenwaterSend Email

I bought a used one and just love it. It was set up with the rudder system, this yak is fast and tracks well and a lot of fun. Only thing missing are rod holders which can be added if you want to drill holes for them (not hard to do). I have seen other yaks on the water and I'm glad i bought my scupper pro! Other people I see on the water in their yaks say they wish they bought a scupper pro. To sum it up I'm very happy with mine. Now go get one and you will happy too!

04-26-2013

I should have READ the previous reviewers comments on weight. I am 6'3" with a long torso. The fit was great, but he was RIGHT-ON with the weight limits! I vary between 260-290. I bought this boat expecting speed, maneuverability and a slightly wet ride. I would say max weight for this boat is 240 TOTAL, and the previously suggested 220 for the paddler. With my 280 lbs at the time, it rode nose high, the tank well was filled with water, and I sat in approximately 2 inches of water! It turned worse than my cheap Ascend 12 foot kayak and was only slightly faster.

I believe, as previously reviewers have stated, it could be a good kayak to add to your work-out arsenal if you are 220 or less. However, depending on your inseam, you could easily be 6'6" and fit this boat.

12-30-2011
Submitted by: ZanimalSend Email

I am a professional Open Ocean Kayak guide and I have paddled many a miles on the Scupper Pro and Scupper Classic Models. These Boats are probably one of the best sit on top boats available. True they are not the best Boat if you are over 6 2' and/or 220 lbs or more. (try the prowler by ocean kayak) However, If you are up to 6 foot and nimble these boats are incredible, and will handle 20 foot windswell no problem. Especially with the optional rudder kit added. They are great for fishing and camping , if the hull is packed properly they have great balance. I like to put pipe insulation around the lip of the hatch to make an extra snug water seal. These boats are legendary among those who truly paddle!

12-13-2011

My daughter (5'3" skinny 15 year old) is in search of a new kayak and we are renting several kayaks to find the perfect match. We were suckered by the salesman to give this boat a try. This weekend we rented a Scupper Pro and a Scrambler NZ. (New Zealand) My daughter took the Scupper Pro out for about 2 minutes and returned to shore and parked it. She said it was tipsy and could not maneuver.

I am 5'10" 220 pounds and have been paddling for 7 years. I immediately took the Scupper Pro out for a paddle and found out, YES! this boat is very tipsy and would be a great boat for flat water and long distance trips with NO wind or chop. On the ocean this boat follows the current and requires a tremendous amount of work. It follows a straight line to a fault. Without a full head of steam and a rudder, it will not turn. Any wind at all and your off like a plastic bag in a parking lot. I would not suggest fishing on this boat.

If you want this boat, Rent it first. If you are used to paddling a long touring kayak, this may be a great kayak. If you want to have fun for 5 or 6 hour in the ocean, NO. We all spent the rest of the day taking turns enjoying the Scrambler.

10-01-2010

After paddling a sit-inside rec boat for several months, I realized I wanted something more. I need a jack of all trades, something for touring and fishing on flat water, but something small enough to take down small shallow fast moving rivers. I was also very concerned about a boat that would handle my 200+ pounds! I had originally considered getting a Drifter, but found the Scupper Pro to be more than capable of handling my weight. I found it VERY stable, yet still pretty nimble with a good amount of glide.
A great boat!

09-27-2010

The SP Pro is a very good Ocean Kayak boat. That complex hull shape on the Scupper keeps the hull very stiff and strong. No soft-hull-oil-canning on the SP! And at 15 feet (or 14ft 9 in) it tracks very well for a sit on top! I was glad to see that OK brought it back as a "classic" boat a couple years ago.

Anyway, I live just north of Chicago on Lake Michigan and have a 2000 model SP Pro Tankwell which I bought (as a sit on top) to handle both surf and offshore conditions in both warm and cold weather. To beat the small craft advisory for tonight, I took my usual quick-four-mile paddle this afternoon. Check NOAA, look at the water, leave upwind, return downwind, business as usual. I am careful. Also, I am careful. Usually, two-miles-and-return takes one to one-and-one-quarter hours depending on the wind.

A different story today, though. It was not the wind (I did expect 20-25 kts), it was the gusts that pushed the boat around 500 yds offshore. On the water I thought 'this is gusting 30 kts' but when I checked the NOAA station data just now (sta chii2) I see 35-40 kt gust data. Bottom line, on my return I had to move closer inshore than usual because the offshore wind was just too much. Needed lots of concentration, plus bracing to leeward!

Today, the yak stayed stable and under control. It needed more paddle effort and attention than usual. There really is a great benefit to a great hull. The hull, the hull, the hull. (What's that saying about 'location' in real estate?) That lovely stiff Scupper Pro hull is why I'm writing this review.

It astounds me to see weak hulls with multiple hatches and bulkheads on current polyethylene sit-in kayaks of 12 to 15 feet. I look at yaks racked for the summer where I launch, and I see brand-name hulls deformed at bulkheads. I really think that some yak designs are now created from the deck down, not the hull up.

Here is some free advice. First, get a good hull (be safe, control the boat). Second, set up your seat (or cockpit) to be comfortable for hours (see what yak fits you). Third, paddle and paddle and paddle (and get a good paddle for pete's sake!).

And regarding the hatch on this yak, I have only needed to touch up the trimlok-gasket-interface with a very little bit of devcon rubber adhesive on this old boat. (Haven't needed yet to replace, but it looks like Austin Kayak has ok trimloc in stock.) Remember that every hatch needs attention. Do you pay attention to oil changes in your car? Clean your boat regularly, and check hatches and seat and flotation and deck rigging when you clean!

09-15-2010
Submitted by: bluewave18Send Email

I bought mine used on CL. I got it for 375.00. I have to say it was a deal. It's in near perfect condition. I have added a few flush mount Scotty's and a FF. I was disappointed to find that a milk crate does not fit in the rear. I think I will modify the crate. I have been out 3x now. I agree that the boat is quick. I have not had another, but it moves. It does get a little tippy but it does stop short of rolling. The front hatch seems like a crappy design. I have not sat sideways yet. I will try some BTB fishing soon. I'm 5'11 and 210 and the boat does fit perfectly. The leg room is just right. I do wish it had a rudder.

06-17-2009

I bought a used Scupper Pro in 2002 and I'm still paddling it. It's true the hatch leaks a bit but only if water is washing over the deck. The ride is wet and I could do without that. This boat is stable, fast for a SOT, and tracks well. I use it for a photography platform and it does that job very well. I'm looking for a sea kayak now but I'm keeping the Scupper Pro too. Rating it against all kayaks I'd give it a 7 but rating it against SOTs it's a strong 9!

09-30-2008
Submitted by: E.T.Send Email

One of the greatest boats out there after so many years in production and still not loosing it's charm.
Fast, stable, tracks well and easy to turn. May be a bit narrow for big guys and the ride is low and wet. Nothing a good pair of neoprene shorts can't solve. If you fit it you'll love it!

07-24-2008

I was lucky enough to find a used SPTW for 400 bucks and it is worth every penny. It is fairly fast and turns fine. It is easy to load on my trucks ladder rack and while it is hard to carry I have a kayak dolly so its not a big deal. Foam practice golf balls plug the scupper hole which help keep me from getting a bad case of monkey butt while I'm on the water.

The cockpit does seat me a little low but a 2 inch foam pad helped that out. The tankwell is perfect for a cooler or bait tank. The Hatch is big and roomy and the seal may be weak as other reviewers describe but so far I haven't capsized. Its a stable seaworthy craft. The previous owner mounted some rod holders but that was the only modification. If you are in the market for a used boat keep an eye out for the SPTW it's a gem.

11-08-2007

Best value for money I have found so far.
Stable, fast and reliable for a under $500 SOT used model. The one I have doesn't have a rudder option, but it generally doesn't matter as it tracks reasonably well.

Apparently, reviews also mention that this model is also one of the best option if you want to try using a kayak sail... a little challenge w/o the rudder in my case but worth the test.

07-17-2006

The only fault is the gasket on the front hatch. I have two of these if that measns anything. Bought one several years ago and landed a used one recently. Amazed at my luck. I live on the third coast and have lots of protected and bay water as well as Gulf water. The first time I took it to the surf, it handled the breakers way too well and I got complacent and got dumped a lot because of overconfidence or neglegence. I've been to the Cypress swamps with it and it snaked through fallen trees like a champ. Very manouverable. Haven't been camping yet, looking for a plan on that one. Lifting it is like a bar of soap. I just strap it the bed of my pickup and cam-strap it in with a flag on the end. Not much lifting there. Just taking it to waist high. It loads fast that way. Texas winters aren't that bad so the SOT is good for all year. Nothing a wet suit couldn't handle. Loading the front in wind is probably a good idea, I'm only 170# so I don't push it deep enough to get a long water line. Makes it cool for loading down though.

03-20-2006
Submitted by: JimSend Email

I have the scupper pro and have it is since summer of 05. I use it for fishing the bays around Tampa and St.Pete. It is a great kayak. I think one of the best on the market for the money!

03-06-2006
Submitted by: KevinSend Email

I got my SPTW used over a year ago. I have paddled slow rivers, mangrove tunnels, mosquito ditches(less than 4 feet wide, 2 feet deep at most), moderate surf (2-4ft), bays, inlets, islands, you name it. Living in Tampa gives me easy access to all of these. This kayak performs equally well in all these situations. I have read a lot of reviews, and I also did so before my initial purchase. The reviews seem to go hand in hand with what I have experienced.

Hatch gaskets need work- true. Tacking may be a problem initially-true as well. I believe this boat is pretty sensitive (good thing) and will accentuate the faults in your stroke. I have corrected my stroke and do not have problems. Paddling out in moderate surf was a blast. The boat blasts into and over whitewater, and will climb the face of unbroken waves!

Surfing this yak reminds me of my days longboarding. Catching swells easily, getting from place to place in surf doesn't have to be difficult. On flat water I can stand up in my yak, as the 14'9 size lends stability. Speed seems to be on par or SLIGHTLY faster than other SOT ive paddled. Don’t expect a rocket- it is just a giant piece of plastic after all. TW space is perfect for storage.

I enjoy the SP's deep seat- almost lends a sit in feel instead of a Sit on top feel. I think a nice backrest is a must for longer trips. I went 20 miles one day and can tell you that I was in pain w/o a seat/ backrest. Add to that - this boat is bulky to carry, and doesn't seem to have an EASY way to carry, kinda feels like the weight shifts around on me.

OVERALL- If you find a deal on this boat, snatch it up. I do not foresee me EVER ditching mine if it keeps up its current level of performance

07-18-2005

What else can you say that hasn't already been said? This is the best all-around boat in my fleet of 7 kayaks. It is a '97 that I bought used 2 years ago. It's the boat that my kids and I fight over -- fast, stable, easy to paddle or lay on and lazily drift. If I'm paddling in a new area or uncertain weather, this is the boat I want to be on. I echo all of the good points (tankwell, seatwell, speed, comfort, etc.) mentioned by other reviewers. I love buying used boats, paddling them a year or two, and then selling or trading them to have the experience of a different boat. Although several good boats have come and gone, this is one I'll never, ever sell.

06-16-2005
Submitted by: cliffrnatpSend Email

I agree with all the other reviews. This is a great all around boat that is surprisingly fast. I too have bought plugs for the scupper holes and the boat stays dry unless the water is really rocking. One thing does make me crazy though. The boat is very difficult to carry. I have a sit in kayak that is 10 lbs heavier, but it rests well with the shoulder inside the coaming. It seems that attaching handles, or creating recesses in the mid section, would make all the difference in the world. I still highly recommend this boat. It is just one of those things that a manufacturer could do cheaply that would make a big difference.

05-11-2005

I have had my Scupper Pro TW for 2 years, and I don't believe it would be possible, for the money, to have a better boat. For a rotomold boat, I believe it is as fast as they come. I have used several other types/brands in which I found myself sliding around on the seat. The Scupper has a molded seat that holds me in place and fits like a glove. A high back seat is an absolute necessity. I have taken mine on several 40 to 50 mile trips and find that, in addition to being easy to paddle, tracking and gliding well, it is also top notch for the incredible amount of storage space above and below deck. It makes no difference if you are touring, playing, or fishing, this is the best boat I have tried. Also, it is tough as they come.

01-27-2005
Submitted by: SWSend Email

I've had the TW version for over a year now. I use it for freediving/spearfishing. The boat has virtually unmatched capacity for its size and weight and it is a very good performer: it goes very fast, maneuvers well, and is very seaworthy. Primary stability is weak but that makes the boat more maneuverable and responsive to hip movement. It feels almost as if you are wearing this boat, it becomes part of you. Secondary stability is excellent; once the boat hits its chine it bounces back with a vengeance. Most competitive spearfishermen use this boat for competitions because of its performance. It is easy to dive off and easy to get back on once one learns the technique. No weaknesses. Could be improved with a number of customizing touches like side handles, hip straps, deck bungies, etc. But all in all it is a complete boat. Mine has a rudder and it takes the work out of paddling in high winds or quartered seas. At 6'2'' and 200lbs this boat fits me just right.

10-10-2004

I have had the "Scupper Pro Dive" for 11 months and it has done everything that I had expected and more. I live in Auckland - New Zealand where the weather can change so fast, so you have to have a boat to suit all of these conditions. There are many makes and models of sit on kayaks and I spent a lot of time researching and boat testing different kayaks. The Scupper Pro Dive came out on top 1) value for money 2) very sea worthy boat fast and also stable 3) great storage area for gear 4) everything is simple foot peddles-rudder system you don't have to be full of muscles to paddle it as well. This is an awesome boat.

09-24-2004
Submitted by: jbSend Email

Love this kayak! I bought some foam golf balls in Walmart and if you want a BONEDRY kayak...they work great! 2.99 for 4 of them. As others say the Scupper Pro TW model is rock stable...no tippiness for me. I can completely relax and with my feet propped up I can either lay flat or do the recliner route. I use my kayaks mostly in lakes and streams to sight see and just relax. I'm 5 10 230 lbs and I fit perfectly in the nice seat. Since I'm in Florida and right now in Sept...water is warm so it's nice to take the golf balls out and get a little wet! :)

Boat waves and choppy water don't seem to rattle this boat at all. I have had other sit-on-tops in the past and always felt a little unsafe and tippy...so I really appreciate the speed and stability of this 14 footer. I like huge hatch and scuba tank holder...I haven't camped yet...but I have that option.

I want to thank Paddling.net and the other reviewers before me...great site and great reviews. I bought this baby after reading the other reviews and I'm very happy with my kayak.

08-20-2004

This is my 5th paddling season. I started out paddling sit-in kayaks, including building several Pygmy boats and strip-built boats. I recently purchased the Scupper Pro specifically for Lake Erie paddling/fishing and haven't been disappointed. I figured that if warm climate divers, paddlers, and fishermen were using the Scupper Pro to punch through surf and reef dive, etc., it should be a great boat for Lake Erie wave conditions. Well, it handles chop and whitecaps just great (read tons of fun) and is a breeze to launch. No spray skirt, paddle float, bilge pump required. It's sheer paddling simplicity. Need to take a break? Just roll over the side to cool off, then climb back on. It's not a very wet ride, especially when you plug the cockpit scupper holes. This boat is changing the way I enjoy my time on the water, all for the better!

What has surprised me is that my GPS confirmed the Scupper Pro paddles comfortably at speeds between 4 to 5 mph. That's very respectable for a "recreational" SOT that's just 14'9" long and 26" wide. I'm 6'1", 215lbs and the Scupper fits me great. The one item I'm adding is a backband to help me sit forward a bit. I've noticed, verified by other paddling friends, that the Scupper trims low in the stern, so moving forward one footwell position should correct that. I've also added side handles to make lifting its 55+ lbs onto the car rack easier.

Coming from 22" beam sit-ins, the Scupper Pro is rock solid stable, easily handling wave conditions that would require my attention in my other kayaks. It turns easily and tracks very well. On Lake Erie, because you're typically paddling along the shoreline, you have to deal constantly with quartering wind and waves. The Scupper Pro handles those conditions very well, with only occasional corrective strokes required. Again, that's WAY better than some sit-ins I've paddled. I'm also planning on paddling the Scupper in early and late season conditions when water temps require dressing for immersion. Wearing a drysuit, I'll just climb back on the Scupper Pro if I get dumped, minimizing the time I'm in hypothermic waters. Again, no need to spend time in frigid waters while I wet exit, deploy a paddle float, reentry, and pump out the sit-in. The Scupper Pro is a great boat at a great price. Most fun for the dollar I've had in a kayak yet. I'll bet if the Inuits had figured out how to build SOT's, everybody would be paddling one, instead of sit-ins.

06-15-2004

My wife and I bought a pair of yellow Scupper Pros in 1996. These have both the front and rear hatches. I gave them a pretty heavy workout the first 2-3 years, not quite so much in the last few, but it is a very tough boat. Have hit a few things - oyster bars, submerged rocks and pilings - where I thought for sure it would go through the hull, but - just a scratch! I used to hang them in the garage during their "babying" phase, but after our son was born, I ran out of room - or energy - and have kept them outside, covered and in the shade. Other than a few minor snail and bug infestations, this works fine.

The boat handles well, is reasonably fast and very stable. The boat has a few degrees of initial tippiness - this helps maneuverability - but it doesn't "keep going." I've attempted to turn the boat over by standing on it, but succeeded only in falling off. We have very flat water conditions, and have only used it in very light surf, so I can't vouch for how it handles big waves, but it's ideally suited to our conditions.

If you do a lot of fishing, and are over 6 feet or so, you may prefer a wider boat since the initial tippiness I mentioned could be distracting when casting. However, you would probably lose some speed and maneuverability with a wider boat, so there's a compromise to be made.

Only complaints: the hatches use a double seal, and the cylindrical part WILL detach from the part that holds it to the boat. I've just duct-taped them inside the hatches themselves, and this works pretty well. We stick the kid in the one of the hatches sometimes, so that shows you how critical they are in our usual conditions. Also, one of the rivets holding a strap to the hatch corroded and broke loose, but this was easily fixed.

One of the best products I've bought in the last 8 years.

02-02-2004
Submitted by: waikoloaSend Email

I have had my Scupper Pro for 11 years. It is, obviously, the older style with two hatch covers. I love my boat. She track beautifully and is easy to steer. I can paddle faster in this boat than ANY other kayak on the river or lake. I can go over class III's and barely feel a ripple. When on the ocean, she handles waves like a longboard; i.e. she'll take you all the way to shore. At 68 lbs., it is a very heavy boat. You'll find a kayak cart a good accessory to aquire. I have had problems with the hatches leaking when I am in whitewater or heavy surf, but this boat is not meant for those conditions, so that is my problem. The rubber gaskets on those hatches have ripped off twice which was a design flaw. I solved the problem by leaving them off after the second time. they didn't stop water getting inside the hull, anyway. The newer design with the well in back (rather than a covered hatch) is, I think, inspired. You can't get inside the hatches while sitting in the boat. The well makes for easy access.

10-29-2003

My review will be from a yakfishin perspective. Here in S. Florida we deal with wide variety of conditions from ocean surf, trecherous inlets, strong currents, bridges, narrow mangrove channels, choppy bays, rivers, you name it. So you need an all around kayak - you can make no better choice than the ProTW. At 14'9" and just 26 in. it is quite fast. Good primary and excellent secondary stability. Minimal hull slap. Great well, right behind the seat. Nice deep and stable seating, good drainage. Perfect cockpit layout with a center channel and cup, er lure, holder, plenty of nice deckspace to add things. Good rocker so it's the best in bad conditions, turns exceptionally well for a close to 15 ft. yak. Lots of complex curves so no oilcanning, simply won't deform, period. Strong company you can count on. And lots of good used ones that you can buy right and you'll never lose a penny. This yak simply outfishes anything in it's longer class, has the speed to go the distance. Easy to sit sideways for drifting. As far as rudders go, forget it, you won't need one. I do recommend the Ocean Kayak assymetrical large paddle with fiberglass shaft, esp. as you'll need to sprint to bait busts, and for quicker maneuvreing in chop. Consider a 220 if you are of average size, esp. considering it's 26 in width. I use the std. yellow backrest, about $30, you can cinch it up nice and tight; the Pro has such a nice rounded butt shaped seat you'll stay more than comfortable without a butt pad. Take comfort in knowing that the ProTW has neen a leading yakfishin choice for some years. You can't go wrong. I got mine quite by accident and have come to appreciate it over many days and hours, often spending 20 to 30 hrs a week in it. Great yak, you won't be sorry.

10-24-2003

I've had my Scupper Pro TW for 5 months and am pleased with it. It has exceptional stable, both initial and secondary. It has loads of storage capacity with a large forward hatch and a huge tankwell behind the pilots seat. The boat is tricked out nicely and the workmanship is superb. At 55 lbs. it is easy to carry, just grab the seat coaming and slip a couple of fingers in the footwell scupper. It balances well carried this way. A lot of people say they don't fit in the cockpit. I'm 6'2" and around 200 lbs. the boat fits me very well. I like the feeling of sitting inside the boat rather than on top of it. I use an OK Comfort Pro seat and I feel like the boat is more responsive to my movements. It turns very well with a lean and hip contact (thanks to the seat) makes leaning the boat easier. Initially I had trouble keeping the boat on a straight course. This was mostly due to adjusting my paddling style to this boat (I previously paddled a Malibu 2 solo)the beam is only 26" whereas my Malibu had a beam of 34". The boat now tracks very well with few corrective strokes needed. The Scupper Pro is reasonably fast and has decent glide. The Scupper Pro is a great all around boat, suitable for a variety of water conditions from flat freshwater to rolling ocean. I've even surfed this boat and it is great fun. If you are looking for a longer sit on top that's stable, easy to paddle, hauls a alot of gear, and handles a variety of water conditions you won't have to look much further than Ocean Kayak's Scupper Pro.

10-06-2003

I rented a scupper pro today for a short trip up the Oleta river (miami). Although this boat is fast, I give it a 7 becasuse I am compating it to a WS tarpon and a Hobe Mirage which I tried last week. Compared to those two, the scupper was a wetter ride and less stable. It also was not as fast as either of the other two and did not track as well. (The Hobe is incredibly fast, stable and dry..it gets a 10) I am not sure it is fair to compare any standard SOT to a Hobe Mirage but between the Scupper and the Tarpon, I would always choose the later.

08-15-2003

There's not much to dislike about the Scupper Pro and Scupper Pro TW! These boats are so sturdy and rugged that I would guess they are as or more indestructible than just about any other kayak out there. The Scupper Pros have a huge cargo capacity, allowing a diver to easily take three aluminum 80's out through the roughest of surf with unsurpassed security. The Scupper Pro provides a relatively dry ride and fair stability that will only take the inexperienced diver or fisherman a few days to become accustomed to.The Scupper Pro punches out through big surf with the greatest of ease and has enough speed to come in on the back of a large wave in order to avoid purling in the surf. The experienced kayaker will have no problem coming in sideways on a strong low brace in front of the wave, but the novice will most often get dumped if they try to surf the Scupper Pro in on anything over a few feet in height. For these paddlers, I recommend coming in on the back of a wave or swimming the kayak in while holding on to the seaward toggle-handle.There are two things to keep in mind: 1. you will have to wait for your buddies on their XTs and Drifters to catch up to you, and 2. it can be difficult to keep on track in a strong crosswind without a rudder. For the latter it helps to load extra weight forward to bury the bow a bit. The extra weight forward will also help in punching out through big surf.

07-28-2003

This is an excellent boat for its intended usage. For a boat of almost 15', it turns well, probably due to its rocker (which you find on very few long boats). However, its length keeps you on the straight and narrow pretty well when you want it to be. If you're serious about going long and hard on open water, you'll probably want the rudder (to act as a skeg). The forward hatch is a little smaller than Rhode Island, so you can fit about anything under cover. The stern tankwell provides good alternative storage. I prefer this combination to two hatches (apparently, most people do because they only make the TW model now). The seatwell provides a nice fit if you're of average girth. Those broad in the beam would be more comfortable with another boat. The footwells are reasonably comfortable, although I like pedals to get a stronger shove. The cockpit has a nice layout, with a well-placed vertical bottle holder (plus a "groove" if you want to lay one down), a very handy 6" center hatch (or space for one) and a place to mount a compass. The hatch kit is reasoably priced (Ocean doesn't seem to try to skin you on add-ons). While the boat is rugged, it's light enough (for me) to carry by a thigh strap. The low profile keeps the weight down, along with wind effect, but does make it a bit of a wet ride. But, I don't buy sit-on-tops to stay dry. It's not a rocket, but with a 26" beam, it's no barge. The hull is very tough, but I would take metal pad eyes over the plastic ones provided. All in all, a very fun and easy boat to paddle, whose design has withstood the test of time.

07-07-2003
Submitted by: AndrewSend Email

Recently purchased it and like it very much. It has been said before, but here it comes again: very stable, handles waves well, fast, lots of storage space, plenty of leg room, a little snug around the tush, tracks well, wind and currents will push her off course, and a little reluctant to turn on a dime. Good construction quality, easy to lift despite its length, lots of scuppers to keep you cooler in hot weather, and a variety of attractive colors available. Good for moderate touring, fun on the water, perhaps even for fishing, though a WS Tarpon 120 would be a much better choice for angling purposes. A beginner should be able to handle it in no time and an old pro may also may appreciate it. Do consider the Pro seriously, do not let the length scare you, try it out, because it is a true gem among the many I have examined and paddled. The new OK Mars is attractive and user friendly, but it is not quite in the same class with the Scupper Pro.

07-02-2002

Been paddling my new TW model now for a month or so and really like the boat. I just got the scupper plugs and its much drier. Last week I was able to take my 7 year old daughter out in a stream with it. She sat inside the forward hatch. Shes 45 pounds and 45 inches tall. With a cushion under her butt she was happy as a clam. I am used to the OK scrambler and this boat is much nicer. It's narrower and easier to load onto a truck roof even though its 2 feet longer. Very comfortable, stable and perfect for the coastal waters here.

03-27-2002

I have had my yak for two summers now and still love it. I find it very easy to board in deep water (I followed the instructions included with it). I can carry my daughter or a friend on it and play around all day. Very stable in waves and class ii rapids. Prefect for gunkholing and fishing (except when a big large mouth pulls you around). I would recommend this boat to anyone. When it is rough, I put in the plugs and put on a pair of gortex pants. My friend got caught in some rapids and was dumped out, but was back in within a minute with no bailing. Just simply a fun boat for all of my needs.

02-15-2002
Submitted by: Fisherman

Living in Hawaii, I spend a lot of time in the water - swimming, surfing, diving and fishing. Although I own a number of surfboards and a racing canoe, I spend most of my time fishing on a Scupper Pro TW. My boat has a rudder, which I believe is a necessity, especially (1) when rogue waves necessitate a quick getaway; or (2) on windy days. I've taken my boat out on rough windy days and it performs like a charm, even with a 105 lb. passenger sitting in my tank well. I like the boat's durability, especially since I try to use it every week and am not afraid to take it over shallow reefs. I once got caught by a rather large wave that broke on my bow as I was heading out to sea. Although my boat flipped over and washed halfway to shore, it, surprisingly, did not take in as much water as I thought it would. Would I recommend this boat to a friend? You bet. If I gave 10s, this boat would get a 10. However, like most things, it could be improved (i.e., a no leak hatch).

11-28-2001
Submitted by: DMSend Email

All around good boat, wheels are a must, deceivingly light for it's 14+ length. I launch from the surf and was astounded at the boats stability and tracking in the surf. The boat launched in 5 ft swells easily, though rather unforgiving to much lateral movement, promptly dumping me into the surf. Remounting the kayak in the surf was a little tricky at first, the boat takes a minimal amount of water through the hatch upon multiple rollovers and isn't even enough to be considered, provided it stays on. A paddle leash is a must, and you're an idiot if you launch through the surf without a jacket and a helmet as well. Once I got the hang of the surf getting out past the breakers was only a matter of timing and position and the boat tracks beautifully. In calm water it is extremely stable and I was able to maneuver about easily and even open the hatch, and enjoy the day, drybags with a way to secure them to the front of the boat are a must unless you want all of your stuff getting bashed around your hull, and the good backrest is recommended, trust me. If your looking to do some hanging out, fishing, touring, camping, you can easily haul a lot of gear with it and it can take swells, provided the rider can too. As far as surfing, it's too long; unless you're really good you're dipping the front end and high siding it. I try to time the waves so they break right in front of me by back-paddling up them when they are about to break and either be behind or on top of them when they break and follow the white water right up the beach, but overall a very versatile boat. I actually want another one.

04-30-2001
Submitted by: FrançoisSend Email

A great boat! Being slightly claustrophobic and having to canoe alone, I needed a SOT kayak and tried the Scupper Pro TW (now purchased). The boat is very good at keeping a bearing, it is stable and absolutely not just some "recreational" boat. People here (I live on the bassin d'Arcachon use it to cross the bay (3-5km of open water as well as to go to the nearby banks (travel in the waves). The seat I purchased with is OK but only whithout its backpocket.

There are two draw-backs to this boat: Firstly, it does not have a "child seat" where I could put my four year old girl. Secondly, it has no foam inside. i.e., if the hatch opens for some reason and water comes inside, there will be no reserve of flotability. I am working on it to better that.

04-01-2001
Submitted by: Brian KuszmarSend Email

Very pleased with Scupper Pro TW. Live in Lauderdale By The Sea, Florida and have 3 decent reefs right off shore so it is perfect for diving, snorkeling and fishing. Seems to track well, initial stability very good, turns well, etc. I do not use a rudder and find that proper paddeling technique allows you to do without one. Due to our weather and water tempetures in Florida SOT's seems to be far better suited than traditional Kayaks. I have plans on doing the 100 mile wilderness waterway trip in this SOT, also bought a second one too bring someone along so I have someone to talk to. I would allow the Scupper Pro a 10 rating though not having any experience with other SOT's I am unable to. The 8 is based on the fact I cannot imagine any others being much better. Anyone interested in doing some Snorkeling of diving on the local reefs here email me.

12-17-2000

The Scupper Pro is probably one of the best mid-sized sit-on-top plastic kayak's made. The stability is excellent and strong enough for a beginner, for fishing and diving and yet the boat is still relatively fast despite the 26" width. It handles big water extremely well having paddled it throuh surf of 5 to 9 feet. I have owned 2 for over 5 years now, and also have a surfski. The scupper-pro also turns good enough to handle winding rivers. It is an excellent choice for an all purpose kayak for beginners to well skilled paddlers. The only thing that I would change would be to narrow it down by 1 to 2 inches and sacrifice a little of it's abundant stability for a little more speed, but after paddling a surf-ski I am a little biased for speed.

09-22-2000
Submitted by: KJ

I have been paddling the Scupper Pro for two years now, and love every minute of it. As the other review have stated, it tracks very well, and is very stable. I chose the S-P for it's ability to haul cargo. The very large hatches can accomodate everything needed to do the paddling/camping bit, including a folding camp chair, which fits nicely under the seat!!! For flat water the rudder is a must in my opinion, allowing the paddler more time to enjoy the scenery instead of working to maintain a course, which isn't appreciated until attempting to cross a good sized body of water. I would rate it a 10, but am rather disappointed with the couple of rivets I have had to replace because they pulled out. Other than that, she is a fine craft for the money. One recommendation for novices. Spend the money to buy a better quality paddle. The one that Ocean offers from Werner stinks. I use one by Perception. The difference is worth the money, times over.

07-30-2000
Submitted by: Tony

This kayak does everything very well. It is surprisingly fast for a 14'9" boat, and extremely stable (both primary and secondary stability). Excellent diving platform. The tankwell can double as an ice chest holder on tours, and the front hatch is super large. This, combined with a very deep bow volume, allows the storage of many large dry bags. Very long items (spear guns, fishing poles) can also be stored thru this hatch, since the compartment extends all the way to the back of the kayak on the sides and middle. This is also an extremely durable kayak...the curves and reinforcement points are well thought out. I have six kayaks, and this is the one i would take into surf with rock gardens. Handling in chop or swells is great, as is surfing. Tracking isn't a strong point, probably due to the significant rocker. All in all, a great kayak, and due to its low cost, a super value.

06-19-2000
Submitted by: RJSend Email

As a novice, having purchased a Scupper Pro TW just a few weeks ago, I am extremely satisfied with my choice. I have made most of the novice mistakes during this 3 week period, and the Scupper Pro has gotten me out of all of them, unscathed. An adventurous sort, I've put it through the paces, 6 ft seas, off-shore winds, rip and ebb tide currents, I've paddled with, against, and across them all, and haven't been thrown off yet. Diving off the Scupper is great (just wish the water were a little clearer). I don't know, there may be better yaks out there, but do you want to have fun with a yak that's at least capable in just about any element? It's a capable tourer due to it's length, speed, and packing ability, it's very stable off-shore, an adequate surfer, though it does tend to get a little sideways (I just ride it in a little sideways when it gets that way, but I think I will learn how to handle surf a little better with experience--it still hasn't thrown me off and carried me to shore), and is maneuverable enough for river work, and although there is a definite shortage of white-water here in Florida, I wouldn't be afraid to take it through some of the easier white-water sections I've experienced. What does it need? Well, a rudder would be handy I think, especially when paddling cross-wind or current. A good seat. I'm happy with the high-back, wrap around seat sold by Ocean Kayak. It's a little tight, even for my butt though, and I'm not very big, so try it before you buy it. Your butt will still get wet in the Scupper in choppy conditions. Stuffing the scupper holes with crazy noodles (or whatever they're called) would probably help in calm water, but where I hang out, it comes over the sides, the front, hits you in the face and buries you from behind, so I need the scuppers to get rid of what I've accumulated. A kayak is more like buying a pair of good shoes than buying a car, where you may be looking for features. If the shoe fits your needs, and potential, looks right, is affordable, and most importantly, fits, buy it. You won't be disappointed. Ergo the Scupper Pro. If it fits, buy it. You'll love it. All of my time on the Scupper Pro has been quality time, and I look forward to each and every outing.

06-12-2000

We live in Coconut Grove, a Miami (FL) neighborhood close to the water. We had an Ocean Kayak Malibu II, but it was stolen, along with its lock and chain -even properly deployed. It left at the same time our house was tented for termites (and we spent the night away)–and- our next door neighbors, renters, to whom we had complained about their mid-work week going away party at 1:30 AM, left for parts unknown (vacating while we were away at work). Hmmm… Out of kayaking for a couple of years, the urge resurfaced. We decided to get two single boats, and went to a kayak expo to test any of literally dozens of models. The Aquaterra/Perception Prism, the Wilderness Systems Freedom and Ride, a Necky, and the Hobie Pursuit were pitted against each other. It came down to the Freedom vs. the Scupper Classic and.or Pro, and the Classic and Pro won on the strength of relative costs and hatches/tankwells.

The Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro TW (tankwell) is a quick, very well-tracking sit-on-top. It has a sizable hatches fore, and a depressed molded area aft (shaped to fit a dive tank, hence the name: tank well), a convenient cup holder between the paddlers knees, and a flat area which can be used for a small screw-on hatch.

It handles rather well in a constant chop of 1-2 foot seas, and in a quartering rear sea it doesn't need to be herded to keep on a straight track as much as smaller boats. My wife enjoyed it; she thought it paddled easily and quickly, and was only slightly less maneaverable than the Classic (9" shorter). It tracks very well, but does take just a wee a bit of work to turn without a rudder. I’m 6 feet tall and a very fit 205# with something of a wide beam (the family hipbones just CANNOT be narrowed!), and it fits me very nicely, and it fits my wife quite well, too. It would be an appropriate boat for doing an overnight river run, coastal ocean trip, and/or camping trip in it. Overall, we're both pleased, and score it as an 8 out of 10 (I almost never give 10s for ANYthing: that's perfection, and I've yet to find it in anything I've seen or experienced).

03-26-2000
Submitted by: zenSend Email

I took out a Scupper Pro as a rental and fell in love with it. It is significantly faster and smoother then all other(shorter) rentals I've used. I will definately have one by this summer. Also, for "fun", I jumped off in an area I couldn't touch bottom and had no problem at all getting back on. It was very stable and forgiving. I rate this a nine because nothing is perfect, but for my needs/wants this is pretty close.

01-05-2000
Submitted by: SaltySend Email

My Scupper Pro Tankwell sit-on-top is without a doubt the best kayaking and fishing craft on the market. This kayak does everything exceptionally well. It is very stable for fishing, you can sit sideways with feet in the water, get in and out in shallow water to wade fish. There is lots of under-deck storage inside the large front hatch...and best of all, the tank well can be used in multiple ways (you are limited only by your imagination). I use the tank well to carry fresh caught fish (water flowing in and out preserves the fish), a collapsible cooler can be carried in the well (for ice, food, drinks, fish, etc.), camping equipment can be carried in a plastic storage crate attached above the well with marine bungies, a scuba diving tank fits in the well, a large water supply can be carried in the well for long camping trips (in a hard sided cooler), etc. The items you need to access while on the water are best carried in the cockpit or tankwell, while many other items can be carried in a dry bag in the large front hatch, including a spare paddle.

This kayak is in all probability the most versatile designed to date. It tracks well enough that you don't even need to bother with adding a rudder, it glides very nicely, it rides the waves well, and with the four cockpit scupper holes plugged...is a dry ride.

In addition, this kayak is a relatively safe way for a novice to get into kayaking. And, it's not just for beginners, as it is being used by the experts for extreme kayak fishing, long distance inshore and coastal touring, extended camping trips to offshore islands, diving, etc. Many of the folks who are using it to the extremes are posting their experiences on [www.kayakfishing.com], including myself...SaltyDog/Clearwater posting on the Florida BB.

11-12-1999

ll 5 kids are grown and we decided to take up kayaking! My first time in the Scupper Pro, I said to my husband, "ya know, we could sell everything we own and live on our kayaks?" I LOVE my boat!! It is fast, stable, and I am impressed with its every function in rivers or ocean swells. A great boat!!!

11-10-1999
Submitted by: Peter

I purchased used with rudder and seat. Suprised myself when I tried as a lark. Who wants plastic. I have two fiberglass boats. The boat is not what I expected. It handles outstandingly with or without the rudder in small waves and river runs. It is like sitting in a comfortable recliner. Also anybody can paddle it, very responsive for a boat loaded about 65lbs. Still learning to get on and off my SUV and truck. Loading and unloading is challenging by myself. Best method is to put on from back of truck and push boat. It is a keeper.

10-08-1999

I purchased the Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro TW used. It is a great first time boat. Very stable and fast. I use the tankwell for a small ice chest. And trying to teach my dog to ride back there also. It is a great boat to teach teenagers also as very forgiving. The only thing I really hate about it is you get WET! So use the plugs. I rate it an 8 because of that.

09-20-1999
Submitted by: RandySend Email

Fast stable boat,difficult to reboard. Used this kayak in recent 6 mile race where it semed to be the boat of choice for SOT'S. Live in South Florida where it is especially suited for year round use. Lots of fun,versatile boat from the people who invented the SOT. Good for back country as well as offshore. Great choice as a "bridge" boat for those not quite ready for genuine Sea Kayaks.

03-18-1999

Not in same league as neckys or prism. Cockpit can be uncomfortable for larger folks. Same with stability in heavy seas. Great tank well for diving. We consider the "classic" a better boat, glad o.k. brought it back.

09-28-1998
Submitted by: E.D.G.

I purchased an Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro with the tankwell option for fishing. It is 14'9" long 26" wide and 12" deep. The tankwell is fairly large and is moulded to fit a small to medium size ice chest securely. The front hatch is large (12" x 22") and allows fishing poles to be stored completely inside with no obstructions. The cockpit area has two scupper holes for drainage, however I opted to get the plugs for them (you get wet as soon as you board because the water wells up into the seat area). This boat feels very stable and fairly fast for a plastic kayak. For fishing off coastal water and bays this kayaks versatility/utility is hard to beat.