Product Reviews > Canoes > Mad River Canoe > Adventure 14 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Adventure 14 Canoe by Mad River Canoe

Rated: 9.04/10 Based On: 56 Reviews

Adventure 14 Canoe by Mad River Canoe

Length: 14' 0" - Width: 37.0" - Starting at: $719.00
See More Details about this Canoe
Mad River Canoe Logo

09-07-2013

I bought the Passage 14 (which is the same virtually as the Adventure) on clearance at Dicks for under 300 with some bargaining. We've taken a few river trips on the Ohio and a couple others.

I like it pretty well, and especially for the price. We've hit some waves that were 1-2 feet head on and never taken on water. From the side, it would take a pretty good wave to get in as well. We usually turn straight into them though to avoid finding out.

Pros:
  • Toughness - this roto molded poly has been beat and banged and slid across concrete a bunch. Even dropped in the garage from a few feet upside down.
    Yeah it has some scars, but nothing that impedes it. Plus it's the same color all the way through so they don't look so bad.
  • Seats - I like that the seats are molded and the backs are nice. Still take a cushion for your butt though. After about 4 hrs it needs it.
  • Tumblehome - I like that it has some to make paddling a little easier. Plus, it fits between the racks on the van.
  • Stability - I think it's stable. We had a kid one time that was jumping around like a freak. Never have tipped it over. I can stand and paddle also. No kidding. As with anything (even your office chair) an unexpected movement will startle you, but I never think we are going to tip over.

Cons:

• Room - it's 14 foot, and with the molded seats and the center seat, it gets limited for bags/gear. However, if you get creative, you can get a lot in there.
    We usually haul around 500-600 lbs of total weight including us. Handles well. We take a tent, sleeping bags, coolers, chairs, and a couple other bags, plus some water jugs...so it's not too bad, but we only pack for a night or two, and only for two people.
  • Heavy - Some might say 75 lbs isn't heavy, but I think it is. I can handle it but it's never a breeze. This is the single biggest con to me. Still, two people can handle it well enough.
  • Speed - Although it's not slow it's really not that fast. But it's a recreation canoe, so it's not supposed to be super fast.
All in all I love it. Great fun and good exercise.

08-25-2013
Submitted by: Mark McCormickSend Email

I've used my Adventure 14 canoe for 3 years now and I'm very happy with it. I use it mostly fishing on class I & II rivers and have had had many great experiences with it. The seat backs are comfortable, the canoe maneuvers well, and it holds a bunch of gear.
I added some PCV piping inserts to hold (4) fishing poles.
A great canoe for the price.

08-23-2013

The Mad River Canoe Adventure 14 has surpassed all my expectations. I have had this canoe for a little over a year now. I've used it in lakes and rivers across the country. The composite material does make it a heavier canoe but I expected that and appreciate the sturdiness and stability. It is roomy enough for two people plus gear comfortably. Three people fit but you do ride low in the water. The boat steers straight and turns quickly.

My only tiny complaint is the cup and rod holders do not have holes in the bottom so they will hold water in the rain. A petty gripe that the seat backs, handles, pouches and good construction more than make up for.

01-31-2012

Although I have been on a few float trips in the Ozarks, this is my first canoe. The first day out it took some getting used to(not hard to learn, just finding the limits) The second day out my buddy and I floated the Missouri river from Kansas City to St. Louis in the worlds longest canoe race. We finished some 3 days and 340 miles later without flipping.

With that said it is a little "tippy" it is easy to get close to tipping but it is still hard to roll completely over if you are alert/sober. In fact there was a stretch of a few miles that I stood up and paddled for about a half hour. We encountered a barge and when many got off the river we decided to take on the 4' waves head on and this thing conquered them it was a blast. So I think it is very stable.

The seats are awesome and after a 340mi float my rear end was pain free with a the help of a stadium cushion. This thing is a little heavy and not easy for two of us to load. It also holds a lot of weight, we had 3 guys and gear and it handled well. It is a plow in the water and for the race it was a huge handicap but is great for recreation. I think there is like 6 cup holders for a tandem? Seems excessive. Also didn't get a chance to use the rod holders but they don't seem deep enough.

It seems pretty well made. Some people say it bends in the middle, the only time it would bend is when it was straped/racheted on top of the car unsupported, but it would pop back to normal. Overall I would buy again but now I'm looking for a one person kayak.

12-05-2011
Submitted by: JasonSend Email

Nice canoe... not tippy, and only bends in the middle if you store it with no support for the middle.

08-08-2011
Submitted by: agr

I bought a Passage 14 about a week ago, I had read all the reviews and I noticed some people think it is tippy. My opinion after having used it a week is very positive. My wife and son and I all were able to sit comfortably and enjoy a casual fishing/fun paddle around the river. I have no trouble loading or unloading this canoe alone, its more awkward weight than heavy. It seems to be an awesome canoe, and at this writing I am pleased.

08-05-2011
Submitted by: BrendanSend Email

After many hours of research we decided to buy a Passage 14 from Dicks Sporting Goods (the pared down version of the Adventure 14). We picked the 14 footer over the 16 footer Dicks offers because unlike the Passage 16; the Passage 14 is the identical shape/design of the Adventure 14. We were looking for an all around recreational family canoe that was affordable and durable and tracked reasonably well. We had read reviews where some people found this canoe to be tippy which had concerned us, but when we looked at the other choices available in our price range, this one still seemed to be the best choice for our purposes so we went for it.

We just took it out for the first time today and I can assure you that while there is some initial instability (which seemed similar to other canoes I've been in); you have really got to try pretty hard to tip this canoe. I rocked it to the point of almost allowing water over the gunnels, but it resisted tipping. I sat on the back seat and at 6'1 and 210 lbs, the bow was out of the water, but it was still stable. I stood up in it in the center on still water and paddled it, still stable.

Pros- The seats and seat backs are great. It's stable, tracks well, and is efficient to paddle for it's price range. The tumblehome allows fore and aft paddlers to use a long kayak paddle.

Cons- The lack of a yoke makes it hard to load solo, but it can be done if you've got good core strength.

All in all we're very pleased with our decision so far.

07-29-2011
Submitted by: MPSend Email

This is a great canoe! I must be missing something on others who review a canoe and rate it poorly because it's "tippy". Come on Guys, ALL narrow, non-angular sided water craft are tippy! If you don't like tippy, go buy an old barge! This thing is a joy to use. I used to use an old aluminum mini john boat. Not as tippy and not as agile, nimble, maneuverable or fast either. No comparison (although this thing is not really fast by any means like a kayak).

This canoe with the back rests is a joy for fishing and just cruising along.
Some other guy rates it low because it won't do level 3 rapids? U serious? It's not that kind of a boat! Class 3 are considered "Moderately difficult". I'm not taking a canoe like this on those....go buy a canoe made for that.

As for the guy who says his is "bowing" in the middle, how is it being stored? The manual specifically states "store it upside down on blocks or sawhorses." How is this guy storing his canoe? Sitting out bottom down on black asphalt in the hot sun all day long? I wonder, but I will sure let you know if mine does that. I follow instructions and store it like they said to store it. I read many reviews of this canoe like 5+ years old. Not one mentioned bowing. Will see.

I love it, I take my 3 sons fishing in it, (tippy, if 3 young boys have yet to tip us all out of this boat, how does one guy manage to do it?)

Its tan color allows us to fish on top of the fish without scaring them as much as my old bright aluminum boat. We could not get near the fish with that bright noisy thing! Wohoo! I smile every time I sit back against my back rest and prop my feet on the sides of the middle seat! AHHHHH! Talk about comfy, no more knees to my chest, prostate crushing, back rest lacking, hard flat-seated torment for me! I'm serious, I smile every time I get in this thing!

My brother came to visit (an avid boater, jet-skier, everything water kind of guy) took it out by himself, came back and stated "Man, you got a winner here, this canoe is just great!"

I rate it an 8 as it could use some better rod holders (if that is even what those holes in front of the seats are) and a built in cooler might be nice, no? Good job mad river, Me LIKE! (and I'm a really picky kind of guy)

07-18-2011
Submitted by: RWSend Email

This is a great canoe. I have a lot of experience with aluminum canoes of old, but this is the 1st composite I have owned. What a difference. Very stable design. paddles very smooth and straight, even when solo. Helps to place some weight in the front when solo. Durable. A little heavy, but able to load and unload on top of an Xterra by myself...not easy but possible. Would recommend to a friend looking to buy one. Bought mainly to fish shallow rocky tailwaters and needed something durable, big enough for a friend or 2 to come along, but small enough to take out on my own. This is perfect for all the above.

03-25-2011
Submitted by: CP

AWESOME CANOE!! Handles nicely, very stable compared to standard canoes and very durable. I have had this canoe for over a year and haven't had any problems with it. It is actually built by Wilderness Systems for Mad River. Wilderness systems is the leader in kayaks and they really did a great job building these canoes.

03-24-2011
Submitted by: SMLSend Email

I WAS IN FOR A BIG SUPRISE WHEN READING THESE REVIEWS!! I had no idea that there were others that had problems with the canoe bending upward in the center. I owned a 14 ft. Adventure for a year and the center of the canoe started to collapse inward/upward on me. I got rid of it before it bent so bad that I could not sell it. YES - IT IS TIPPY !!!! A pair of glasses and some really nice fishing gear on the bottom of a lake can attest to this. I am looking at a NU-CANOE 12ft..

02-09-2011

I duck hunt the creeks and fish small lakes. I can't imagine a better canoe for this. I added the seat pads - what a difference. I have beat and banged it in the creeks but it holds up well. I would recommend it to anyone.

02-08-2011

I bought this canoe off eBay. It was worth driving 2 hours to get it. This is a great canoe. I taken many short trips last year and 1 long trip on the Potomac with my daughter with full gear in the middle. The stability is excellent even going through heavy power boat territory with the waves trying to knock us out the Adventure 14 won that battle. I was so impressed I bought the Synergy 12 for solo trips. Another recommended boat thanks to my friend Joe who bought one 3 years ago. I highly recommend Mad River Canoe

12-28-2010
Submitted by: AndrewSend Email

I bought the Adventure 14 this summer from Dicks Sporting Goods at a discount because one one of the handles was broken. At a big discount and with it on sale, I scored the canoe for $375!! The next day I called Mad River and told them one of the handles was broken. Not only did they send me a new one in about 5 days, but the sent me a pair of handles!!! Now I have an extra one in case anything ever happens to either one of them. How's that for customer service?

Ok enough about that and now about the canoe. I love this boat. I have taken it out at least ten times since purchasing it and most times I take it out on my own. I was also concerned with how I was going to handle getting it up on my jeep by myself. After some research I purchased a single person canoe loader that mounts to your trailer hitch. It's two steel bars that look like a "t" when mounted. The vertical bar is height adjustable so that the top can be flush with the height of your roof. The horizontal bar swings 360 degrees that is the genius of this device. Forget the bungee strap that comes with it because it is not sturdy enough to hold your canoe in place if your on a slant or hill. Get yourself an extra ratchet strap or clip strap to hold one end of the canoe on the swivel bar. Lift one end of the canoe up and place it on the t bar (practice this at home a few times to get used to doing this step yourself) and use the strap to hold the end in place. The one I purchased has guide holes for this purpose. Once the end is secure to the t bar, walk to the other end of the canoe, lift up and walk/swing the canoe around and place on the top of your vehicle. Keep on mind that in this step you will need about 15 feet of clearance on the swinging side so plan ahead. Then go ahead and strap on the adventure 14 with whatever method works best for your vehicle. I highly recommend this process for loading and unloading and it reduces the stress of wondering if your be able to get the canoe on and off your vehicle when you don't have a second set of hands around.

I have so modified the canoe slightly by adding two flush mount rod holders in the stern. About 15 bucks each at dicks and well worth it. It took about an hour to install both but it looks great and keeps your rods behind you and out of the way when not in use. The integrated rod holders work fine but they will be in your way which is why I went ahead and installed the flush mounts. I also installed a small plastic cleat on the inside of the gunwale for the small anchor I purchased. If you are using an anchor, there are not many options to tie onto which is why I installed the cleat. I'll warn potential buyers that this canoe (like most) will swing around even in a slight breeze especially when you have found the perfect fishing spot :-) so buy a small anchor to hold your boat in place. It's made a world of difference for me.

Agree the seats are very comfortable and are a major selling point for this boat. Took a few others out for several hour trips with zero complaints and only praise for the comfort. Be sure to secure the straps before loading on your vehicle or they will flop around on top of your vehicle which to me was a major annoyance. Just stuff them in the seat back and you'll be all set.

Stability is great. I have stood up and fished several times. You do need to get your balance at first but one you realize that it's not going to tip you just get more confident as you go. I have really loaded this boat up!! My wife in the front and me in the back, two kids on the middle seat and even put my youngest on a small stadium seat on the floor in front of me. 5 people no tipping. This was a short ride (45 minutes) but we all had a blast and really had no issues with stability. I don't recommend that setup for long trips for obvious reasons. Next spring I plan to take my dog for his first ride. He's about 70 lbs and should help weigh down the front of the canoe.

Not much more to say about the Adventure 14. It's a great fishing canoe that fits the bill for a reasonably priced boat for fishing solo or with the family. You will be less hesitant to modify it than a boat that you spend 3 or 4 times more for so modify away!! Next year I also plan to install a small trolling motor for times when I feel lazy about paddling!!

08-30-2010
Submitted by: ARPSend Email

Had this canoe for a couple of months now. I have been out in it 10 to 15 times, solo, with a friend and also with the wife and 2 small kids. Fantastic. It simply isn't tippy, tacks very well. When solo I fish from it. When solo sitting in the back you need a heavy weight up front in the bow, a bag of sand is ideal although a medium sized dog or child would do. If there are 2 of you handling it is not an issue, but if you are solo then loading it onto the car's roof can be an issue. I am 5ft 4in and have a 4x4 car which is tall so the way to handle the canoe is to turn it upside down and put it on your back like a turtle, then you can ease it onto the roof. Once the end of the canoe is on the roof you then simply push it from behind and slide it fully onto the roof. It is heavy but everything else is just perfect.

I bought this canoe because it is rugged and also because of the seats with the back rests. The back rests mean you can stay in the canoe all day with no problems. If I damaged this canoe, you can repair them easy, too bad to be fixed then I would buy another one.

08-17-2010
Submitted by: CMLSend Email

Ok so the Adventure 14 is great besides the weight but u figure with great things comes a small problem. not everything can be perfect but the thing is u get it in the water and with every inch that u move its all pretty much washed away (until you have to carry it home.) now u figure its going to be a little rocky because all canoes are. there canoes. it has handled fine everywhere i went with it and i must say to a comment i read earlier if your stupid enough to be riding it near hard rocks then duh its gonna get holes and cracks in it but 1st of all its not a piece of crap that just rips apart for just bumping into something (unless your on a swift current witch i have not REALLY been on yet.) but it handles fine and is great for enjoying the water. not owning it

08-11-2010
Submitted by: SamSend Email

I bought this canoe used off eBay a couple of years ago to use on canoe trips with my friends and family. I bought it because of it's great price and the amazing seats. My sister has two canoes, one of which is an Adventure 14 and after using it and her other, I had to have one.

After using it for the past couple of years, I couldn't be any happier with it. It's not the speediest canoe in the water but its ease of control and maneuverability make it an amazing canoe for this tricky places. Me and a friend of mine were able to swing it around and over a fallen tree that other people were having to jump out and drag the canoe over without themselves in it.

It is a bit awkward to load by yourself, but can be done (I hold it up to drain the water right behind my suv and simply lift it up and let it fall over my head onto the roofrack). Fished out of it with no problems, never had too much of a problem with it tipping. I've only flipped this canoe once while teasing a friend who had a bad tendency to lean to the side.

My only complaint about this canoe is the formed floor and middle seat make it difficult to float with a large sized cooler for overnight trips, but I've learned how to make due. Love this canoe, and would recommend it to anyone!

07-06-2010

Love this canoe!
I've had my Adventure 14 for 3 years now and take it in all kinds of water. I originally bought it so my brother could bring his dog along (she weighs about 50 lbs) and it has been a great canoe for bringing that extra pet or child along with you.

Some people say it's "tippy" but I don't agree. Any canoe or kayak is "tippy" to some degree, but I've had a 50 lb dog and a 2 year old moving all about in this thing (my wife was also in the canoe) and it was a great platform to paddle and fish from. Of course, fishing with a dog and a 2 year old (not to mention a wife who's patience was growing slim) did not have the same appeal as just myself and another buddy...what can I say?

Anyhow...I paddle this on lakes and in rivers...rocky rivers...that's why I bought it...I go places where I know I'm going to scrape bottom at times and (not by choice) bounce of the odd rock or two. I wanted a canoe that could take a beating and still survive. I found this canoe to be easy to paddle solo or with another person.

The only reason I gave it a "9" is because of the weight, which is hard to hand solo. I made that tradeoff when I picked a canoe that could take a beating, so I'm NOT complaining.

All in all...this is a great canoe and it'll handle everything you can throw at it.

07-01-2010
Submitted by: Pat RigneySend Email

I have the Adventure 14 for a year now I live in Ireland and use it on lakes, rivers and a canal near me I love the canoe. It does all I want. The weight issue of lifting it on and off my mini-van was solved when a friend of mine welded a few bit's on to my trailer and now I can load up the trailer paddles gear cooler etc and go any where to paddle easy load and unload. have brought friends out in they love it too. I just have to say if your looking for a family canoe and a camping canoe look no further. Got a few flash looking Mad River Canoe Rabbit stickers on the trailer lookin good. p.s. prepare to answer loads of questions where ever you go. People just flock to it.

06-29-2010

I have been a boater for many years having everything from a 14ft runabout, 14ft jon boat, and a 24ft pontoon boat. I decided to downsize a few years ago to a canoe. Searched online for canoes for a few weeks before purchasing a Pelican 15.5ft canoe. I used it for two years.

Just recently we went to Paddle at the point in Downtown Pittsburgh (Breaking a World Record) and saw a Mad River 14ft Adventure. I checked out all of the features and wanted it. I searched the area Sporting good stores and found one at Dicks Sporting Goods. I sold the Pelican and got the Mad River Adventure. Me and my wife have paddled it at several paddling events in all sorts of water conditions and LOVED IT.

We have been paddling in lakes and rivers and it is very Stable and Comfortable. You can do everything from chillin out Floating, Fishing, to Paddling hard and hitting some smaller rapids. We give this canoe a big thumbs up.
Good job Mad River keep making great canoes and kayaks.

06-03-2010
Submitted by: MLWSend Email

I've have own many canoes and the Mad River Adventurer 14 really surprised me. The stability was much better than I ever imagined. I have a 11 year old son that sits in the middle seat and he is constantly moving around in the canoe, putting his feet over the side, wild casting for fish... everything a 11 year old is suppose to do at that age. The canoe never felt tippy.

I can not say enough about the seats! I felt like I was canoeing in a lounge chair the whole day. I have a bad lower back and after canoeing all day, I did not have any discomfort. I did have to go out and buy two new canoe paddles to fit the canoe better. It sits quite a bit lower to the water than my other canoes. I would buy this canoe again in a heart beat!

04-22-2010
Submitted by: IanSend Email

This Adventure 14 is my first canoe and I cannot say anything bad against it. It may not be the quickest through the water, or designed for anything above moderate white water, but what you get is a stable, comfortable, well made canoe for not a lot of money. I suspect there are few canoes more suited for the novice paddler or family. Get one, it's great.

03-26-2010
Submitted by: Jason ButlerSend Email

I love this canoe!
It is as rugged as they come, I've hit and scraped this boat on about every river rock in north Georgia with nothing more to show for it than (lots) of cosmetic scratches. It's versatile. I've been fishing in calm lakes to canoeing down Class I-III rapids with no problems.

I've heard some folks say this is a good canoe for calm rivers but stay out of the rapids. Baloney, this canoe loves moderate whitewater. The key is, if you are going solo, right before you get to anything tricky is get your knees on the floor right behind the middle seat. This way you can lower your center of gravity if needed, you can oar with more power and you can even maneuver the boat slightly with your legs. I took the Mad River down Etowah Falls (Class IV) smooth as silk using this technique.

And the boat is comfortable, the seats are the reason my wife let me get this boat, and they delivered as promised. I've taken the whole family down the Metro Hooch, me in back, the wife up front and my two little girls in the middle. I've gone on long trips with buddies, and long trips with a dog, and ever mammal that has been in the canoe for any length of time loves it (and usually ends up thinking of getting one).

If it sank today – I'd go out and buy the same boat tomorrow.

11-04-2009
Submitted by: FrankSend Email

I bought this canoe because I am going into retirement within the next 10 years and wanted something with which to fish calm waters...
I bought it at a Dick's outlet and the two guys helped me put it up on top of my jeep on these foam pads. When I got home, it was too much trouble to take it off and store it anywhere, so I just drove around for a couple of days with my new purchase on top of my vehicle. The following Saturday I went to my nearby lake and went fishing. Getting this thing off my jeep was a bit difficult by myself. Afterwards (I had a great time fishing, I might add) getting it on by myself was very difficult. Although they say it is only 75 lbs, it seems like 200!

I think I have have found a way to one-mandedly get that heavy canoe off and back on the top of my jeep. What it involves is ropes inside of fire hoses draped over your front and back windows and around our precious canoe, and one man (or woman) can hoist it up and onto the jeep's roof (or whatever your rooftop carrying vehicle may be!) I am used to a canoe that I can carry with one hand, like the light 16 ft. Grumman aluminum canoes they used to make. Or even Adirondack guide boats that you could carry around with a yoke, but this Adventure 14 is much too cumbersome to carry around with other than being towed on wheels.
I have come up with a system of lifting my A 14 in the rafters of my garage, above my jeep. I have outfitted my A14 with stainless steel Mauri lifting rings on the bow and stern, penetrating both the polypropylent skin and plastic heavy outer skin of the buoyancy blocks.

My Adventure 14 now rests above my jeep, waiting to be taken out soon in this beautiful fall weather, or awaiting spring, or ..... whatever.
I love this boat.

09-08-2009
Submitted by: PSSend Email

We bought a used Adventure 14. LOVE IT! No stability issues. Very maneuverable. At 75lbs, it does require two people to load and unload on top of a vehicle.
Love the cup and pole holders. Plenty of room with two or three people.
It's my first canoe, so I can't really compare to others, but I will definitely consider Mad River if I every have to buy another canoe.

08-31-2009
Submitted by: KELLYSend Email

I have owned my Adventure 14 for 6 month now, and it was one of the best purchases I've ever made. Bought from Joe's Sports for 625.00. Very stable though it can be tipped if you try. Love the payload capacity and durability. We drag it, bump it and generally abuse it. Keeps on working fine. I wanted a sail kit for it so I contacted Mad River. They responded that they currently had no plans to sell a sail kit. I then did find a excellent kit at sailboatstogo.com for 749.00. With a few minor changes it turned out awesome! Now we paddle the rivers, sail the lakes or either on Puget Sound! The Adventurer 14 makes a stable and fairly fast sailboat. I highly recommend a Mad River canoe!

06-30-2009
Submitted by: SLQSend Email

This boat is beautiful. I did some research & knew I wanted this one. I needed a 3-seater, short, & fairly light. This canoe is all those things. Easy to get on/off the car w/two people. Easy to carry to the shore.

We took it out on a fairly calm lake & shared space with jet-skiers & motorboats so lots of wakes. Easy to paddle, easy to turn, nimble, light, & quick. I stood up, just for fun, no problem, not scary at all. My girls & I took turns jumping out into the water, & then crawling back in, just to see if it would tip. Nope, no tipping. For me, this boat was well worth the investment. Very pleased.

06-30-2009
Submitted by: R SSend Email

One word describes this canoe; AWESOME. I love mine. I do not understand the "tippy" comments made by other reviewers. This canoe is stable. We both stood up in it, rocked it, and tipped it until water was about to come over the side. You have to try to tip this canoe.

This is the first canoe I have owned and my 10 yr old son and I use it to fish and paddle lakes and rivers (class 2 rapids max.) and we love it. It is very stable, makes a great family canoe, plenty of room, and works great for over-nighters on the river. If you want more room, get the 16 ft. version.

This canoe is awesome. A little heavy, but my son and I can put it in the bed of my truck easily. The "responsiveness" of the canoe is amazing. It will turn on a dime. Very easy to maneuver. I Love This Canoe.

05-18-2009
Submitted by: pshSend Email

Great canoe!!!!!
I have paddled with friends and my girlfriend. Very steady and plenty of room. I paddle the New River and it handles great. Also very good canoe for fishing.

04-16-2009

We saved nickels and dimes for the past two years to purchase a canoe. We bought our Adventure 14 at Dicks. We tried it out for the first time while on a camping trip with friends. My husband and I took it out the first time and he purposely tried to tip the canoe to one side and it just didn't happen. We took out both children and had no problems with stability. Our 15 year old daughter, who is not a swimmer, took it out solo with no problems what so ever.

This is a great purchase for the price and for a family that wants a starter canoe.

02-11-2009
Submitted by: RTSend Email

Great Price/ Great Boat.
Very stable, put it to the test floating a few days ago standing up inside the boat in a swift river to show friends (river temp was around 38 degrees by the way).

Plenty of room for canoe camping as long as you realize you can't take the whole house with you. Tracking is good solo with a little weight in front ie. small cooler works for me. I always float solo in mine and it works great.

The only real thing I would think about to tell Mad River about would be to put some form of a grab handle at the center of gravity for those who paddle by themselves to lift and carry easier. Other than that I recommend this craft for most. For the type of paddling this canoe is built for it fits the purpose and the pocket. Since I have purchased mine, 4 of my buddies have bought one as well. We had people thinking on a river one time that we went through an outfitter we had so many of these canoes.

02-05-2009
Submitted by: MDRSend Email

Bought this Mad River last year before Labor Day. Took it on a 3 night down the James River. With a Dog and a 200 lb man in the front, 100lbs of gear on the middle, and I weighed 190 Lbs at the time. Encountered some class 2 rapids and a 3 foot drop; it handled well with no spray skirt. It can be tippy with a lot of weight but it’s a canoe. Don’t buy a canoe if you don’t want to get wet; get a john boat. I flipped it once when I was intoxicated. Took it out in the Chesapeake Bay and it handled large wake head on but a good amount of water entered canoe. It tracks like a Mack truck and with 2 paddlers it can go 5 mph with a good stroke maybe even faster if you really push it.

Added a motor mount with salt treated 2x4 + 1/4" bolts with those really big washers so the plastic doesn’t warp and some of those locking nuts with the plastic inside. Small 2 stroke two horse power motor is pretty cool and it weighs about 20 lbs with gas. Also have a 30 Lb electric and that works very well too. Never fished in it but it has built in outriggers on the inside. Wish the design was more intuitive to allow storage under the middle seat. Also went out in a calm lake with 200 Lb man in the front, 200 Lbs man in the middle + deep cycle battery, and 190 Lb man in the back with one of those red Colman that hold 54 beers full of ice and beer. It was tippy but we didn’t fall out. I took out the foam in the front and the rear that is designed to keep the canoe afloat in an emergency so I can store more stuff.

This canoe is a good value when purchased on sale. Would not purchase for 600 dollars. All that being said I really like this Cadillac.

11-03-2008

Purchased this in the early fall from Dicks' which was running a special sale for $399. Manager gave me an additional $50 off because I noticed some scratches on the hull and gunwales. Handles wonderfully in the lake we have out back. Appears to be very stable with the wife up front and myself in the rear seat. Also drilled some holes in the middle seat and added a Sitbacker style seat for when I'm in the canoe alone. Handles wonderfully whether solo or tandem. Wife only felt safe in our old Scanoe from Coleman before we bought this for my birthday. Now she loves being in this new one. Is very steady for recreational use on our stillwater. Would definitely purchase this again.

09-26-2008

We bought this boat in the spring and have had it out several times with no problem tipping what so ever. I've had this canoe out with my husband, nephews, and friends and it has always been stable...even while fishing. It is a bit heavy, that would be my only complaint. Just this past weekend, we loaded her up and did an overnight camping trip in Mammoth Cave National Park on the Green River in Kentucky. We managed to pack sleeping bags, an air mattress, tent, camping chairs, cooler, fishing poles and tackle, and all of our camping gear with no problem. Space is at a premium in this canoe, so you have to examine every nook and cranny for gear to fit. We were loaded down quite a bit, but the canoe still performed flawlessly! The seat backs and cup holders are always nice and was a big plus for the 20 mile paddle. We always get a lot of comments and compliments on this canoe wherever we take it. This has been one of our best purchases for quite some time!

08-11-2008
Submitted by: CarlSend Email

I did a lot or research before buying this canoe, and found a few reviews saying the boat was "tippy". I really have no idea what people are talking about. This boat is rock steady. Haven't even remotely come close to flipping it.

I've paddled it with other people and by myself. Paddling alone in the center seat the boat seems very nimble. With two people is cruises right along. Tracks great.

The backrests are really nice for long days and can be folded down if the person in front wants to turn around. The plastic seems really durable too. I've been using the boat for fishing and have no problem casting from the boat. The rod holders work great for trolling, and the cup holders are nice for a can of my favorite beverage.

The boat is a little heavy to carry around by myself, but I can manage if I have to. At first glance storage looks limited, but there's actually quite a bit of room under the seats. I don't think it would be any problem to load this boat with enough gear for two people to go on a 2-3 day camping trip.

Overall, it's just a great boat and does everything I need it to do and more. Can't imagine how it could be better for the money.

08-04-2008
Submitted by: ScottSend Email

This is a great canoe and I would recommend it to others. I do a lot of canoeing and kayaking as I own an outfitter company and do kayak tours. The boat is very stable and turns on a dime. As like all canoes and kayaks it has its place. It works very well on swift moving rivers. Yes it is a little slow and heavy. But me and my 14 year old daughter did real well in it. You can put it up on it's chine and still feel stable. I was even able to stand up in it and not feel like you are going swimming. The plastic seems pretty strong as we bounced off some rocks on our trip. I like it!!!!

07-28-2008
Submitted by: WheatonSend Email

I bought this canoe two days ago. We sell the Adventure 14 and the Adventure 16 at work. I had been looking at both and had heard they were really good canoes and the price was pretty fair. I originally wanted the 16 foot for more room, but we had sold out of them and hadn't received anymore and later learned we wouldn't be getting any more this year. So I settled for the 14 foot.

I really like it. I am glad that I ended up with the smaller of the two. I didn't really feel like paying an extra $200 for only two extra feet anyway. It is easy for me to carry around by myself and get on top of a SUV. Today was the first day I put it on the water. I brought my dad, my younger brother and my dog. I first went out by myself just to see how tippy it was going to be. I was surprised, it was actually more stable than I had originally thought. I was able to sit in the way back seat or in the middle and paddle around and turn on a dime by myself.

I first brought my little brother out and it was great. Then my dad wanted to give it a try, so we went. He is a bigger fellow, 6'2" and about 280 pounds. He sat in back and me in front. I am 6'1" 215 pounds. and it did seem a little more tippy with him in it. I think it was mainly because he was a little scared and stiff because he is big, he thought he might end tipping it. We didn't.

The canoe was great, I especially like taking it out by myself. Next I plan to take it fishing. Overall I am very pleased. Great canoe for the price... plus my employee discount.

07-08-2008
Submitted by: BjornSend Email

This is my families first canoe. Have taken out on local lakes and is easy to handle. I have gone by myself and with some weight in the front end is great for getting around. There isn't a yoke, but I'm able to handle carrying it around. I really like the backrests. Light, good price, comfortable, good for fishing.

06-03-2008

I've had this canoe for a couple of years and taken it on slow rivers, slightly rough rivers and lakes. It's a great canoe for the slow rivers and lakes but on rough waters it is not the right canoe. I've taken it on a few trips but unless it's just you and one other person going on a one day trip you will need to to bring at least one more canoe to hold much of the gear. The room is limited, but what it lacks in storage it makes up in comfort. I love the seats and back rests. One thing I really wish was different on this canoe is the strength. For only having this canoe for a couple of years the bottom is a little rough looking - not like its close to rubbing through but it has more wear than would be expected.

06-02-2008
Submitted by: DBRSend Email

You might wonder why I rated this canoe an 8 after what I say about it but there is something I like about it. The first and only time I took it out was by myself which I wouldn't have done except for the fact that my family won't ride in it yet although I think I'll bring them around before long.

I found this canoe to be very tippy if you take it out by yourself. I noticed most of the other reviews don't say that, but I see just about all of them had others with them. I decided it must be tippy due to the fact I had no weight in the front. I believe with a sand bag or a person would reduce this problem a lot. I must admit I had thoughts of selling or returning it to the store after my first voyage, but after I thought about it I didn't want to give up on it.

I am going to purchase a set of canoe stabilizers so that I don't have to worry about taking an unwanted dip in the water. I believe with either the front occupied by weight or a person (or if I have side stabilizers) that I will like this canoe more. I just would not recommend taking out alone.

05-28-2008
Submitted by: PRSend Email

Bought this canoe for family use and has done a great job. Great for the backwaters and the swift currents downstream of the the Chattahoochee River. We have used for exploring creeks and it just seems to be able to get into very tight spaces. My oldest son, 17, and I carry it easily. Have had loaded to about 700 lbs with 2 adults, 17 year old and a 10 year old and gear and has done adequate. There are more stable canoes but come on, for the money you can't beat it.

03-18-2008
Submitted by: RJSend Email

I am rating this as a recreational canoe not as a white water canoe or high performance canoe. That is why I am rating it high. It gives you tremendous recreation opportunities for the money.
I am an experienced paddler and have canoed lakes, rivers (including the ice cold Nantahala in a suicidal run in a flat water canoe) and lakes and small ponds. I have four canoes including a 21 ft aluminum, 17 ft Old Town, 12 ft Old Town and 15 ft Bell.

The 14' Adventurer is more affordable yet as versatile as all but the Bell, and much more comfortable to paddle. The seat and seat back are simply awesome. Tracking is exceptional. Stability with the elliptical cross section is absolutely superb.

Don't believe reviews saying this canoe is not stable - while canoeing down the Oconee River in South Georgia today my friend and I experienced 30 mile winds with gusts of ferocious intensity. We were able to keep the boat on track into the face of the wind without too much effort. Advancing in the face of the wind however did take tremendous effort. Were able to keep up enough speed to avoid being swept around or beached on sandbars. At the end of the day we were pretty well shot and attempted to put the canoe on the top of my explorer. The canoe is heavy but hoisting it up is quite doable even for 55 year olds. Did Ok until a burst of wind lifted the canoe off the explorer and on top of me. I was knocked into the river while the canoe bounced off the concrete ramp like a rubber ball. The Adventurer had a good scrape on the rudder but no splits or serious damage. I am worse for wear but am still alive to write this note. This is a tough little canoe.

Two more points about this canoe: I also took it out in a small pond with a skiddish lady friend. She was afraid to move because canoes seem unstable to her compared to the ski boat she is used to but it really paddled well and was quite stable. Finally this canoe is easy to paddle backwards in rivers when un-snagging fishing lines

Major pluses – Comfortable molded Seats, adjustable well positioned seat backs, middle seat for tackle box, soft carrying handles, canoe tracking (thanks to two longitudinal grooves on floor of boat), tying off an anchor from soft handle (center line of boat so no rocking), elliptical canoe cross section so hands don’t scrape on side while paddling, Stability (drove right through white caps, motorized boat wakes didn’t phase us). Part of reason boat is stable is that you sit in center of molded seats so two paddlers can’t shift weight suddenly side to side and rock boat. 14 foot boat fits in pickup with out too much weight overhang (boat does not bounce). "cabin" for front paddler is quite spacious.

Plus – cup holders – (too wide for coke bottle – need koozie or spacer) – rod holder – (not deep enough – need PVC extension ) . Can add tarp around boat lip to keep rain out.

Minus – It is difficult for front paddler to turn around and grab stuff behind him. Not to much of a problem in 14 footer because back paddler can hand it forward. With molded seats aimed forward and the stern rudder shape a solo paddler cannot sit in front seat turned backward to better distribute weight like you can with a canoe with cane seats and two pointy ends. Only choice for a single paddler is sit in back and put a weight on front seat. (Can use two gallon jugs filled with water which is fifteen pounds ). Needs a couple of holes drilled in molded seats pieces for tie downs. There are no thwarts to tie coolers and clothes down in case boat swamps. Forget an overnight campout with a lot of gear. Space is a premium. Canoe will never match three ply polyethelene for toughness – get over it.
Hard to clean out canoe because when it is turned upside down the lip holds water. There is a small drain plug over stern rudder so you can empty water slowly.

Overall the canoe is great. Bought this one at Dicks sporting goods for a friend. It was missing one of the plastic seat hinge pins. Mad River answered phone in person and sent replacement the same day.

03-12-2008

I have had my Adventure for a couple of years now and love it. Tippy does not mean unstable to me. I think for the money it is a very good canoe. If you are wanting a canoe for white water or touring you need to look elsewhere but for a leisurely day on a lake or neutral river you won't find any better for the money.

12-29-2007
Submitted by: RichSend Email

This is the worse canoe I have ever had. The weight is a big issue but the boat it self has no flex. Maybe good for fishing but anything higher than grade 2 then forget it. If you hit a rock on grade 3 the boat splits or holes far to easily. I have seen this on two occasions. I would rate the plastic as 0 if the web page would allow this. Much better canoes out there.

11-16-2007
Submitted by: BucklerSend Email

I wish I could have given the canoe an 8.8 rating. A good B+.
Some of its downfalls are: its weight - you would think 81 lbs is no big deal, but it's weight distribution for its size is awkward. A yoke a some sort would be really nice. The handles are nice to drag the canoe with - just be aware that the bolts holding them on will loosen up over time so tighten them periodically. I have had the canoe tip over on me just once - I was leaning back, and to the side, to miss an overhanging tree branch. If you have someone sitting in the middle seat, they don't need to paddle - their paddle will get in the way of the others because of the canoe's short length.

But, I really like the length of the canoe - it's easy to put in the back of my pickup with the tailgate down. I like the seats a lot. I like how well it tracks. And having a middle seat makes it valuable for families.

I would definitely recommend this canoe to a family that is on a budget, but loves family outings.

09-10-2007

Have had this canoe out twice now - once on a small lake and once on a quiet river. We are novices but really like this canoe. It tracks well and turns easily. Seems very stable (we haven't flipped it yet :-)
Seats are very comfortable. Would highly recommend.

08-28-2007
Submitted by: SteveLSend Email

I have had my 14' canoe for about a month... nice little boat... easy to handle and fish from... not much room for gear if you have a fishing buddy along... don't like the location of the 2 rod holders in front of the middle seat (too far away from the rear seat and behind the front seat), so they don't get used... other than that I really enjoy it...

07-11-2007
Submitted by: Rob

We love our Adventure 16. We’ve paddled over 5 months now and it is a true all around boat with very comfortable seats. We have had it on the Mulberry River in AR quite a few times and have no trouble in the class 2 rapids as well as out on the flat water. We have a lot of scratches on the hull now, but it seems to be holding up great.

07-09-2007
Submitted by: JoeSend Email

Love this little boat. It tracks very nicely, and is stable in even the roughest of wakes with 2 adults, a ten year old, and 2 chihuahuas!
This is not a performance Canoe. It is somewhat slow, and I am not yet sure if it will take a pounding, but if you are not in a hurry and just want to cruise and take in the wildlife, this is the boat for you!

05-22-2007

I bought the Adventure 14 for fishing. I am tickled to death with it. As a solo canoeist I have found it to track fine even on windy days. For the price it is a steal.

05-01-2007

We absolutely love the little Adventure 14! We haven't had the chance to take it out in anything but very nice weather, so I won't be able to comment about anything other than some power boat wakes (which it handled deftly and easily). I don't know where the tippy impression came from, with the first review--this thing was incredibly stable--maybe they weren't used to the secondary stability (it is somewhat like a kayak on the bottom).

Great tracking, especially for a 14' canoe and was very easy to keep in a straight line. Was easy to turn as well. The seats are a dream. Of course, as it is a 14' boat, you're not going to be getting all that much gear in for extended trips (short ones would be easy), but day trips are a blast. It's making me wonder what the 16' version would be like. I'd recommend it to anyone who wanted a fun little rec or day touring boat--it's easy and fun.

03-19-2007
Submitted by: JLBSend Email

I just purchased my Mad River Canoe Adventure 14 and took it out for the first time today. The lake was very choppy to begin with (about 20-25mph winds). The canoe handled this just fine and cut over the waves with little effect on the boat. Later on, the wind calmed down and the canoe handled just as well in the conditions. The seats were comfortable and there was plenty of storage areas. I would recommend this boat to anyone looking for a good family canoe or maybe even as a platform for fishing.

03-12-2007

Second year with our Adventure 14 and we love it. Very comfy, paddles nice, looks great. A flatwater touring canoe it is. Tracks great both up and down the Wisconsin River. The 16 would be much better at carrying more gear if you wanted to do any extended tripping though.

10-10-2006
Submitted by: SACSend Email

This boat is nice for flatwater ponds and mild rivers. Steers with ease, and moves easy in flatwater, slower against a current. Seatbacks are comfortable, with good leg room from both seats, but I wouldn't use the middle seat for a 3rd passenger. It's not too hard/heavy for 2 adults to hoist onto a roof rack. It seems durable, but I haven't had it long enough to bang it into anything.

07-21-2006
Submitted by: jwoodieSend Email

We just bought our first canoe, a Mad River Adventure 14, and it is GREAT! A little heavy to lift on top of our car, but very comfortable and esay to keep on course. As to stability, you do have to keep in mind the difference between canoes and Canadians.

06-19-2006

My wife and I purchased an Adventure 14 as a family canoe. We bought it because it looked like a fun, sporty boat, which it is. We were totally taken off-guard, however, at the tippiness of this little boat. The initial stability was quite bad - my son turning only his torso to look at something was enough to rock the boat. I thought that perhaps its secondary stability would be good, so I later got in the boat alone to test it. Much to my surprise, I could easily have tipped it. I kept the rating at medium because it may be more stable when loaded with some gear (it was just us), and because the tracking is AWESOME - very nimble to turn, but also easy to keep on a straight line. Fun boat, but I wouldn't recommend it as a family canoe.

Zoar Outdoor
Free Shipping on all New Kayaks!
Rendezvous River Sports