Product Reviews > Kayaks > Current Designs > Kestrel 170T Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Kestrel 170T Kayak by Current Designs

07-02-2009
Submitted by: VinceSend Email

This is an update to my prior review....
We still like this boat a lot but here are some additional findings.
This boat and the Seaward Gemini are very similar except the Gemini has less cockpit separation which puts the forward paddler further back and gives a drier ride in rough conditions. My wife has gotten soaked a couple of times in our Kestrel... but she does not keep a steady rhythm either so we probably would still pick the Kestrel. The leg room up front is also less then some paddlers would like. These are definite trade-offs to be considered.

I also discovered that the rudder cables were not stainless steel so they rusted and froze up. They are easy to replace but that's what I get for buying a Chinese made boat. Hopefully they have discovered this problem and fixed it.

Bottom line: we still like the Kestrel but can also see where the Gemini could be a good choice. Take your pick.

07-20-2006
Submitted by: VinceSend Email

This is the boat we ended up buying after trying several other doubles. The next closest contender was the Seaward Gemini. First, the Kestrel has good cockpit separation and this makes for much more relaxed paddling. You can pretty much ignore the other paddler.

Next, the final stability is excellent but the bottom is not flat. It's a definite V-bottom which means you can lean it into a wave. It also has almost a bit of a keel which helps the rudder work. Of all the boats we tried this rudder worked the best in every way.

The cockpits are large and easy to get in and out of. You don't feel cramped sitting in it. The seats are among the best with high backs. With over 400# in the boat it still has plenty of freeboard.

The construction and hardware are good quality. Advertised weight is 65# but I have not checked it. Testing with GPS, I think we are cruising at close to 4mph but I need more testing to average this out better.

There are very few things I would change about this boat.