Product Reviews > Kayaks > Chesapeake Light Craft > Patuxent 19.5 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Patuxent 19.5 Kayak by Chesapeake Light Craft

Rated: 9.5/10 Based On: 4 Reviews

03-28-2009

I built my first in 1998 and modified it slightly to a 19.5" beam. The construction process was straightforward and fun. I used 3mm marine ply with two layers of bi directional 4oz finishing glass on the entire hull and deck. It was easy to wet out and lay and gives me a tight, tight craft. I added a 3mm glassed bulkhead IMMEDIATELY behind the seat with a beckson screw hatch. My foot brace is a 2" thick minicell foam bulkhead for the forward storage. it comes out easily and is very user friendly. This boat has almost 1800 miles on it and has done seven 100 mile expeditions in The Everglades and Florida Bay. I have a penchant for heading straight out from Bonita Beach about 20 miles just to relax. This boat will cruise at over 9 knots easily. This is one for anyone who is serious about owning the best there is.

09-29-2006

Built my pax 20 in 03'. It was a pleasure to build. It is long, narrow, and beautiful.Took first place in the 3 races I entered it in. This boat is fast! Skeg works great and the Kajak hatch cover does not leak, even when rolled. Paddled it across Lake Erie to Canada and it was great.Lots of room in the bulkheads but the hatch opening is too small for tent and sleeping bag to fit through. This boat gets a lot of nice comments and attention wherever I take it.

09-18-2006
Submitted by: AlexSend Email

A very fast boat. You really don't realize just how quickly you are moving untilo you stroll by another paddler or take a llok at the shore streaking by. It is not for beginners. You must have confidence and loosen your hips. It has good secondary stability, but until the edge catches a beginner may feel that they are about to go over. Long water line and narrow beam translates to speed. Tracks well in wind and cross current. Not a lot of space for gear in the hatches. More of a hybrid cross of a sprint boat that can go for cruise.

04-17-2006

This was my first stitch and glue kayak. It is a beautiful boat. It is long and sleek. It has a 21.5" beam and is very fast. The build was fairly easy but did not include plans for bulk heads which would have helped me maintain the proper shape. My only complaint about some of these CLC boats, including this one, is that the hatches with the foam tape are not water tight. They are not suitable for continuos rolls, although prove effective enough for general touring.

CLC has discontinued this design. Mine was built in 2000.

Piragis Northwoods: