Product Reviews > Accessories > Bending Branches Slice Kayak Paddle Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Bending Branches Slice Kayak Paddle

Rated: 9.17/10 Based On: 12 Reviews

Bending Branches Logo
See Products from Bending Branches in the Buyers' Guide!
Bending Branches in the Buyers' Guide:
  • Solo Canoe Paddles
  • Stand Up Paddles

07-24-2013
Submitted by: spychicSend Email

Got this HYBRID Slice - carbon fiber shaft, in small shaft size with fiberglass blades - size 230 for an XL Perception Sundance cockpit AND my new NALU paddle board for times I might want to sit. This thing is killer light and as a HIGH ANGLE paddle, provides an excellent cardio workout.

I tend to paddle strong and fast and this paddle keeps up. the carbon fiber shaft is checkered which allows better wet grip. i love how water moves so quickly off it. it is perfect for both the Sundance, and my newest love, PADDLEBOARDING (while in seated position).

07-24-2013
Submitted by: Joaquin TorransSend Email

180 cm BB Slice Glass
Well designed for the solo canoe, ideal for the kneeling position. The extra length makes the stroke easy, very lightweight for a high angle stroke, 3-position lock for a 45 deg twist in either direction. Flexible, but strong enough to dig out of gravel bars and muddy banks.
Love it!

07-23-2013

I purchased the Slice Glass solo canoe paddle. I typically paddle my OT Pack with a single blade. However, I purchased this paddle for when I go out with my kayak friends. I use the double blade to keep up and the single blade when in any kind of rapids.

I do like the paddle. It is 260 cm giving plenty of length to reach the water in the wide solo canoe. It is lighter than my old kayak paddle. It does stick a little when breaking it down but not bad. The only negative was the price.
I would recommend.

07-22-2013

This paddle has paid for itself already. I use it to retrieve all those lost lures that people leave behind. It is nice and stiff too and not heavy at all. I even use it as a push pole and it has not folded on me. A great paddle and a great price.

08-10-2009
Submitted by: TroySend Email

Bought this paddle w/ my first kayak (a Tarpon 120). Love the weight, feel, power of the paddle. However, my only issue (a pretty big one in my book) is that it holds water. The water gets trapped where the paddle and shaft meet so there's no way to get it out. I have yet to find out what the long term affect will be...

05-10-2009

I got the Bending Branches Slice Solo canoe paddle, 280 cm. Makes handling a canoe solo a breeze, and helps maintain headway in my 17 ft. canoe in a real breeze. Was able to maintain about 3.5 kts. for five solid hours with only one 10 min. break. It's light, comfortable, but powerful.

01-27-2009

I purchased a 240cm Slice Angler model along with my first kayak, an Old Town Voyager 111. This BB model is a great entry-level paddle. I wanted a brand name paddle with a fiberglass or carbon shaft. Carbon models were not in my price range. The Angler met all my requirements and then some. A great value from a reputable company. Canít wait Ďtil I haul in my first fish to use the ruler feature!

08-12-2008
Submitted by: JohnnySend Email

I paid $90 at Sportsmanís Warehouse for the BB Slice Angler Paddle. All that makes it an Angler is the measurement markings on the shaft for measuring your catch, line, etc.

Pros: It's very light and thereís no play where the two halves connect in the middle. The blade is big enough to really push the kayak but not too big to cause too much strain. Cons: While many fiberglass shafts flex a little, this one feels like it flexes just a bit too much. I personally prefer a more rigid feel. Also since the shaft is not watertight, the foam inside tends to not let the water drain properly so that there is always an ounce or two of water inside that can only be removed by taking out the foam and draining it. Since there's not much room to work with in there, trying to get a hold of the foam can be a bit of a pain in the neck.

I would expect small issues from a cheap paddle but Bending Branches is a respectable company with many years of outfitting. I know this paddle was considerably more expensive when it first hit the market a few years ago. These issues should have been worked out in production. But overall, you cant beat the price for such a light paddle.

11-16-2006

Love this paddle! Friends bought my Slice for my birthday. It is easy to control and light enough to go the distance.

06-29-2006

I love it. It's quite light but very strong. The carbon shaft combine with the Carbon/Nylon composite blades give this paddle the strength of a plastic paddle and the negligible weight of a carbon paddle, without the price of a full carbon paddle. Though I don't race(yet), I paddle hard, and the weight of this paddle has never been a problem.

05-10-2006

I just got the BB Slice, fiberglass, with the telescoping shaft, and I love it. The variable length/angle is so helpful.... I reset it 5-6 time in one trip to match wind and current conditions. Nice for both low angle touring, and high angle power strokes. The blades are multipurpose and do well for longer trips or short power trips. Cam system easy to adjust and reliable so far. I sold three other paddles to buy this one. Good move.

03-28-2006

Lightweight (30 oz), no flutter as much as I tried to stress this paddle. Very stiff. The carbon reinforced blade bulletproof so far. Rock solid feel. Great paddle for $179.

Ocean Rodeo Sports: