Product Reviews > Accessories > Carisle Kayak Paddle Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Carisle Kayak Paddle

Rated: 7.75/10 Based On: 20 Reviews

Research Paddles in the Buyers' Guide!
Paddles
View Paddles in Buyers' Guide

03-11-2014
Submitted by: jfSend Email

My Carlisle Voodoo paddle cracked on the shaft and guess what no replacement shafts are available and the one year replacement is up! I would not buy another paddle from them that is for sure and I will warn all my kayak buddies too!

UPDATE:
After contacting Carlisle with my concerns about their polices, and including a picture of the cracked shaft, they are now covering that defect and are sending me a new paddle. So I guess they did come through after a bit of back and forth!

08-08-2013

It is a nice rigid two-piece kayak paddle that snaps together easily. One side of the handle is oval which makes it more comfortable and allows for a more sure grip. Overall it is a great paddle for the money!

07-27-2013

Finding great paddling gear is usually not a problem, as a rule of thumb it just costs money. But occasionally you might run across what turns out to be a really great value. Such was the case when I was looking to upgrade the paddle to use on one of my sea kayaks that would also serve as a spare, or backup on the sea kayak I use the most.

I didn't want to spend an arm and a leg for this new paddle, but I wanted quality and performance. I thought I had my choice narrowed down to about two choices and then just when I was about to make the buy, this very nice looking paddle caught my eye. At first glance my impression was that this paddle would be priced above the level I had set. To my great surprise, the paddle was well within the range I had decided on and my shopping was done.

The Carlisle Expedition is an all fiberglass paddle, relatively light weight with very rigid shaft and blades. The blades are about mid-sized (7"x17") and work very well for low and high angle paddling. I like a blade that has a solid catch, no flutter, no cavitation and is absolutely silent; the Expedition excels in all of these requisites and just feels so right. Some paddles take some getting used toŚnot so with this paddle, it was right on with the first stroke and it just got better from there. I should mention that the paddle is beautifully finished and looks like it is built to last.

The Expedition uses the simple hole and button ferrule, which isn't fancy, but it is solid and for me it works just fine. My initial trial day of paddling included plenty of wind and waves and the new paddle performed beyond my expectations. I was even impressed with how naturally this paddle handles maneuvering strokes and how surprisingly effective they were in handling the boat in the wind.

The manufacturers price for this paddle is $159.99 and at this price you really have to give it a try.

07-20-2013

I have only used "entry" paddles to date. Typically the Carlisle Day Tripper, because of the low cost. I decided to step up a notch and moved up to a Carlisle "Excursion". The Excursion has a fiberglass shaft and although Carlisle doesn't list the specific weight of their paddles, it is significantly lighter than the aluminum shaft "Day tripper". After a long day on the water, I find I've used much less energy, and my arms are far less tired. This "Excursion" cost just over $100.00 direct from Carlisle. I can't imagine what that a $400.00 paddle could be much lighter. This paddle was well worth the extra money.

07-17-2013

Have had these paddles for general rec use. A little heavy, yet very very durable and has enough bite to get good speed when needed. Great paddle for rocky waters and for my daughter that tends to push off with it a lot.

12-29-2009

This review is for the Enchantment fiberglass paddle...I cannot find it on Carlisle's current website, so they may have discontinued this model. Too bad.

I use this with my OT Cayuga 14 in slow rivers in Oregon as well as an occasional foray into the Pacific. For the money, it's one of the lightest and strongest paddles on the market. A few grams heavier than carbon, but much less expensive and just as good. I've treated in well, but have made the lazy mistake of pushing off rocks with it and the spoon has never cracked. Whenever my paddling friends borrow it they don't want to give it up. Some sites still offer it at around $160.00-180.00. If you can find one, it is worth the full price.

05-18-2009
Submitted by: RobinSend Email

Got this paddle at bass pro because I had coupon dollars to use, so I basically got it free. Tried it today and it is lightweight, and works good, but I think I am going to return it and get a Werner Skagit.

It only can be adjusted flat or 60 degrees right or left. It just was too much twisting of the wrist for me to use it properly for bracing and such. I think a 45 degree angle will work better for me.

Love the color, love the fiberglass handle, love the weight, but will be able to judge better tomorrow if I can live with the 60 degree feather.

08-12-2008
Submitted by: AmerySend Email

I bought the Carlisle Magic Poly pro in "Cloud". Nice paddle for $55! It is not heavy, and has a balanced and light swing weight. I paddled for 4 hours today without blisters, fatigue or shoulder pain which I've had with other paddles. Seems sturdy. I like it and love the price. It doesn't feel like a plastic paddle to me. Then again, it doesn't feel like the Carlisle Magic Carbon/Fiberglass paddle (I demo'ed) for an additional $200. Luh-huh-huh-ved that one!

06-17-2008
Submitted by: RobinSend Email

I just bought the Carlisle Voodoo Paddle and it is wicked. I love the weight of it, the feel and the look. It is not a super expensive but has a fairly expensive look to it and is well made, quite lighter than some other brands for some price. I would recommend this paddle as it would be great for touring or even just recreation. If you are planning on spending 80 bucks for a paddle then I would say spend the extra 20 bucks and get the lightweight Voodoo.

11-05-2007
Submitted by: P. FlynnSend Email

CARLISLE ENCHANTMENT (GLASS) PADDLE
I bought this paddle with my Old Town Cayuga. The Enchantment is a very light 2 piece glass fiber paddle with glass blades. Approx weight just 2lbs. The blades are so thin you could read newspaper headlines through it, but it has taken some scraping of rocks in its stride (although I definitely would NOT sit on it to get in to my kayak). I have added some shrink wrap and a finger-board to the right hand shaft as the oval shape did not give me the right "feel" or grip - but this is a personal thing. The blades in my opinion give excellent catch and bite, with just enough flex to be comfortable. There is no flutter and there is enough power to sprint and catch surfing waves while being easy enough to cruise at 3 knots for hours. Best bit about this paddle is that you forget you are using it - the blades become an extension of your arms.
Only fault is the joint has become a tiny bit loose after 200km.

Definitely worth a look as an alternative to Werner and Lendl paddle. Recommended!

01-22-2007

I purchased the Carlisle RS Extreme on Ebay and it's not a bad paddle. The downside is I purchased it to get a weight advantage over the Seasense paddle I was currently using. Ads for the Carlisle said it weighs 32 oz but after weighing it at my local post office it weighed in at 36.5 ounces. So I give the paddle 0 stars for false advertising and 6 stars for performance and feel. I wonder how many other paddle manufacturers lie about paddle specs in their ads? I'll never buy another product from Carlisle - that's for sure.

11-05-2005

The Carlisle Magic RS paddle is one hell of a bargain. For under $100, as one reviewer said, you cannot beat it. The paddle is made in New Zealand and must have been designed for everything the waters around that island nation can dish out. I took this paddle into about every kind of condition possible -- lakes, rivers, rapids, shallows and deep water, up inland streams full of rocks and brush, and across miles of open water. The paddle is light, yet tough as the rocks I kept hitting it against. I had no arm fatigue after long trips, something I had experienced with aluminum paddles. Once, on Lake Marshfield, in Marshfield, Vermont, I towed in a stranded 16' waterski boat and, even with this load on it, the paddle just never wavered. Of course there was a good headwind against us. But the paddle never wavered, just flexed a little bit more than normal. The RS is a great all around paddle for the price and I did enjoy the ethereal sky blue colors.

06-22-2004

I picked up an Carlisle RS Magic paddle for my kayak and I have to say it as an excellent all around paddle. It is very light and quite manueverable. It also breaks down at the middle for quick storage. It also has oblong handles to make a more comfortable position for paddling. In all, it is a nice all around recreational paddle.

01-05-2004
Submitted by: SZSend Email

We got this paddle for my daughter to use - the black foam grip bled color all over her hands and after one season of use that foam seems to already be degrading, getting kind of brittle.

10-17-2002

My wife & I bought our RS 230cm Paddles as part of a package with two new Kayaks. Higher end paddles were offered-for a price. But we stayed with the RS. We've done lake paddling for a month and just finnished our first stream trips. we were in low water conditions and a cold Sunday morning paddle. They are light, comfortable durable paddles showing no noticable wear for the amound of low water paddling we did. I only noticed flex when heading up stream against shallow ripples or swift narrow channel with a loaded 14' Carolina. Pretty good for a Paddle under $100. I give it a 9 because of lack of color choice.

08-01-2002

I bought the Carisle Goldenlight paddle with my new boat last Sept., not knowing anything about paddles and liking the price of under $50. I thought I'd like the foam hand grips and light weight. It IS nice and lightweight and the touring blades are reasonably adequate as I am learning. I am able to keep up with other paddlers just fine. I finally just cut the foam grips off my paddle yesterday. The black color bled onto my hands once wet. The foam became abrasive after paddling for a short time and made my hands raw and sore. I think I'll like the plain shaft just fine. Adding grips is not a bad idea, however, I think Carisle needs to rethink the material used for more personal paddler comfort that is soft and smooth and rotates easily in the hands. I will be moving on to a different paddle soon but this paddle has made a good starter for me and will be a good extra paddle for all occasions.

05-23-2002

Blacklight Kayak paddle is a great value! It is the only inexpensive paddle I recommend for its light weight, durability, and efficiency (no flutter). Since the two pieces lay flat on your deck, it is an excellent spare paddle to carry. Adding tennis-bracket wrap to the shaft provides great non-slip cushioning. For most single kayaks, 220cm (7ft) works well.

05-13-2002

I have not enjoyed this paddle at all. It is very heay and ineffcient. I like the Whetstone Mako t-1 alot better this is a nice and light paddle. The Carlisle paddle is a cheap paddle but good for a spare such as retriving that expensive paddle the ocean just seemed to steel from you.

07-27-2001

I LOVE my Carlisle Golden Light, which I use with my Ocean kayak "Drifter" sot; it's the only paddle I've found with thick foam grips, which feel wonderful and provide a very firm grip. I ordered a pair of "Gripz" pads to add to another paddle, and sent them back after discovering they are extremely thin. I would like for Carlisle to make another paddle like the Golden Light, only with eight inch blades for a deeper bite. At under $50, this one shames the "high end" ripoffs for far more money.

05-22-2000
Submitted by: Al KempSend Email

Our shop,Island Sports Shop, sells and uses Carlisle kayak paddles. They are a good buy for flat water paddling. They are durable, reasonably efficient, and economical.