Product Reviews > Accessories > North Water Peaked Deck Bag Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for North Water Peaked Deck Bag

North Water Paddlesports Equipment Logo
See Products from North Water Paddlesports Equipment in the Buyers' Guide!
North Water Paddlesports Equipment in the Buyers' Guide:
  • Gear Bags
  • Paddle Bag

12-06-2011

Bag was OK till zipper broke and they would not even answer my email. The zipper jammed and when I went to free it it was made of some weird material (plastic) and it cracked. Not water proof if left on kayak in rain. Bit tight but you know what you bought and it looks sleek. They could of made the material hang over the zipper more to keep it dryer. Attachment with the straps is decent.
May try the SeaLine BAJA next for more room and better waterproofing.

MANUFACTURER'S RESPONSE
Dear Dogpaddle52, Morgan from North Water here. I see the comments you made on Dec 06,2011 on Paddling.net, regarding your Peaked Deck Bag. Thank you for your comments and bringing this to my attention. Customer satisfaction and quality of design are 2 of our top priorities, here at North Water. It is of great concern to me that you didn't have anyone respond to your concerns after you sent an email. Can you tell me when you sent that email and what email address you sent it to?: Please email me at northwater@northwater.com, please forward your note to me so I can get to the bottom of it from here. We don't use spam filters and all email are to be viewed by someone in our Customer Service Dept. In my almost 10 years working with this product I have never had a zipper jam and crack as you've noted and I hope you will work with me to sort this out. Do you have any idea what caused the zipper to jam? Perhaps dirt and grit in the zipper? The zipper is a #5 YKK Vislon. We use this type of zipper is because of it's resistance to salt and UV as well as its strength. It has the strength characteristics like nylon, but it does not absorb water and deform under normal usage. If you would like to send this back to us we can repair it as we still build our goods here in our shop in Vancouver BC. I do need to point out that he bag is not, nor is it advertised as "waterproof".

North Water offers a comprehensive guarantee on all its products:

This is our Guarantee to you: When you buy North Water you are buying our experience and dedication to quality. If you are not 100% convinced your purchase is the most versatile and well designed piece of equipment for its intended purpose, let us know and we will:

1. Change it to your specifications
2. Replace it with something else

North Water fully backs our workmanship.

02-16-2006

I recently purchased a North Water Peaked Deck Bag because I needed storage space that offered a little more protection then merely stuffing items under the front bungee straps on my kayak.

At around $40 this bag seems reasonably priced, and it possesses some nice features that I think make it user friendly and some features that make it not so user friendly. So after trying it out a few times, I have decided on the following Pros and Cons for the North Water Peaked Deck Bag.

(Pros)

The deck bag is held on with four adjustable straps that firmly anchor the bag to the deck. No worries here about the bag coming off in rough weather.

The deck bag is tapered toward the front, which helps to reduce wind and wave resistance.

The criss crossed bungee cord atop the bag and the side mesh pockets are good for storing smaller items.

This deck bag comes with a polyethylene shaper, which helps to maintain the bags shape and offers some physical protection.

For those people who own peaked decked type kayaks, then this bag will fit nicely because of the manner in which it is shaped.

The shape and weight of the loaded deck bag did not seem to affect my ability to roll.

(Cons)

Because this bag is of a tapered design, you lose some storage space toward the front of the bag.

The bag only comes in one color, which is black. The nice thing about black is it blends in with any color kayak. The problem is it also blends in with the water (at least where I paddle) so it is less visible. I would like to see this bag offered in a more visible color so power boaters can see me better.

The biggest problem I have with this bag is with the design of the zipper. The zipper opens/closes straight across the bag and only gives you a small opening when open. The rear of this deck bag is seven inches tall, yet the zipper does not allow you to open it up fully, thus restricting the size of the items that you can put in it. I would like to see this zipper configuration replaced with one that opens the bag fully.

So, there's my Pro and Con list. Bottom line is for carrying items that you need ready access to, this bag is fine, but the zipper configuration is a pain and causes it to lose some points.

MANUFACTURER'S RESPONSE
The peaked deck bag in this review is for a very old design of the product. North Water had changed the zipper several years ago, so the bag opens along the full length of the ark, thereby allowing the front of the bag to completely open up. At the same time they put a reflective strip down each side of the bag, to increase visibility. You can see the current bag design here.

North Water offers a comprehensive guarantee on all its products:

1. Change it to your specifications
2. Replace it with something else

North Water fully backs our workmanship.