Product Reviews > Accessories > Original Duluth Packs Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Original Duluth Packs

Rated: 8.6/10 Based On: 10 Reviews

Research Bags, Cases, and Packs in the Buyers' Guide!
Bags, Cases, and Packs
View Bags, Cases, and Packs in Buyers' Guide

07-25-2013
Submitted by: PSPSend Email

Duluth Pack Rambler
I currently own three Duluth Pack packs and the Rambler is my favorite. It is the perfect size for day paddle trips when I want/need to bring some extra gear or as my "small" pack on overnight paddling trips. I also have used it on many scout outings with my son (he packs his clothes and sleeping bag in it). It is extremely well made and I have had no complaints with the workmanship/craftsmanship for the past eight years. I prefer the front zippered pocket to the buckle type, simply because it makes it easier to get to the small items. The shoulder straps are very comfortable, although leather straps would be nice to have. My only complaint is that I purchased my Rambler before waxed canvas was available.
Overall, a great pack

11-29-2012
Submitted by: PSNSend Email

I currently own two Duluth Packs, a #4 and a Paul Bunyan. Both of these packs are TOUGH AS NAILS. The Paul Bunyan pack will hold more gear than I can physically carry. While Duluth packs are more expansive than other packs, if properly taken care of they will last a lifetime. The Duluth Pack company is second to none on customer service. I noticed two holes wearing through my #4 last summer (it was purchased new in 2007) while on a trip. Upon returning I contacted Duluth Pack Company, returned the pack and they replaced it with a BRAND NEW pack! Great packs, great company, great customer service!!

04-26-2005
Submitted by: PierreSend Email

I have used Duluth Packs all my life. I use them on an almost daily basis. They are simple, serviceable, reliable and dependable. They are not waterproof. For many years we used heavy mil plastic bags, inside the Duluth Pack, but last year I started using lightweight Granite Gear dry bags, inside the Duluth Pack, for my clothes and sleeping bag and found it to be a better system.

04-26-2001
Submitted by: CMaxSend Email

I currently use the Hudson Bay model Duluth Pack. I have an OOOld #3 as well. True they are not ergonomic. They do however give peace of mind. They wont break, period. The volume of this particular pack is very large and is an issue if you try to carry heavy gear. I pack my blankets, bag, thermarest, and tent in seperate plastic bags (trash compactor bags). and they all go inside of the plastic bag that comes with the pack. Long heavy gear then go in...saw, hatchet, tent poles, pack rod. Total weight about 45 lbs. There are probably better bags out there . I don't care...I'll still be using this one in twenty years.

04-02-2000

I have one #3 Duluth pack that has been in use for about 20 yrs. I use it for my cook kit and things like saws, extra rope etc. that I'm not too worried about getting wet. The cook kit rides in a waterproof river bag and everything else just sits by itself. If not overloaded the pack is easily carried. However for my own personal pack I use the rubber river bags as they are easier to keep waterproof if closed properly. I also had a large Duluth type bag made of Cordura with a fancy harness and waist belt in addition to a foam back support. I threw it out after a couple of seasons as it was a hassle to close and wasn't compleatly waterproof or comfortable to portage.

01-28-2000
Submitted by: ALSend Email

Duluth packs may have been the thing in their day but I believe their day is long over. I own 2 duluth packs. They carry terrible, even when packed proberly). On long (over 1km) portages the tump line is the only thing that makes them bearable. As far as I am concerned they are nothing more then a sack with straps. If you are a traditionalist and can't get by the nostalga enjoy being uncomfortable but as for me the new packs far out perform the old. I replaced my Duluth packs with Ostrom outdoors packs and there is no comparison. For those of you who think I am full of hot air I run a tripping school in Nothwest Ontario and spend up to 70-80 days out on trips. Buy from a new reputable pack manufacturer you will never regrett all the sore muscles you save.

05-10-1999
Submitted by: Ian

Duluth packs, carry them, drag them, or kick them; through mud, water, gravel, sand, dirt, or over rock. and hey, we're still using the same packs!! need we say more.

04-11-1999

If you do canoe camping/tripping there is one product I feel is practically a must-Black Feather barrelpack .They come in two sizes with optional shoulder straps.They are absolutely waterproof,crushproof bearproof and can serve as a cooler,garbage can, float ballast or a seat!!! need I say more!They are sold in Canada and in Wyoming river raiders calalog.

02-11-1999

I have three original Duluth Packs, one #4 and two #3. They're great. Everything about them is well-made and heavy duty. I expect these packs will still be going strong twenty years from now. The only drawback is they're not waterproof. On the other hand it's a lot easier to carry a load in them than in my waterproof Seal Bags. Among other things the Duluth Packs have tump lines which certainly make packing easier.

These packs have been around since roughly when Christ was a kid and I fully expect they will be here for the next hundred years as well.

12-30-1998
Submitted by: Michael BondSend Email

We use the large, outfitter model (#4 I think). Best use is for outfitters. Nothing is more durable. Plastic bag liners work well (use leather shoe string or thong to tie). Note* Was not impressed with the travel luggage, nice looks but the clips were weak and the design, although attractive, was not practicle.