Product Reviews > Kayaks > Riot Kayaks > Stealth Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Stealth Kayak by Riot Kayaks

Rated: 8.33/10 Based On: 6 Reviews

Kayaks Image Kayaks Image Kayaks Image Kayaks Image Kayaks Image

02-04-2014
Submitted by: adamSend Email

My Riot Stealth ES w/ Skeg:
About 2 years ago, I bought my kayak, from the same person I had originally bought my canoe from... which I hardly ever used. I wanted something for me, because I am one of those people who do kayak by myself. Yea, I know that's wrong... but the serenity of it all is mind blowing!

I had tried out different kayaks, and found they were too bulky. The Riot Stealth is made for those of us who are on the thin side. I am 5'9, 135lbs., and my waist is 30"... a perfect fit for my size. I tried regular shoes, plain socks & bare foot... I have found that the 5-toed shoes work great in the small space for your feet.

In the future, I plan on buying another kayak, and it will be a Riot Stealth ES w/ Skeg.

05-23-2008

I have had a Riot Stealth EXP for about a year now. I have taken it out on quick rivers, lakes, twisty creaks, and chop. Quick, nimble, and edges like a dream. However, not a kayak for anyone who is uncomfortable with watching current. The boat is extremely responsive, but eddies will catch you if you are a "floater".

No leaks whatsoever. If you have big feet, you will have to go shoeless. I wear size 8 womens and have narrow feet, but can only get very low profile shoes in the boat. Also, the boa fits me perfectly. I like a tight boat, and at 5'9" and 125-130 lbs, I have no problems. However, I wouldn't recommend this for anyone any bigger than me! My son also loves my boat. He is 12 and 5'2" and 110 lbs.

The boat is very quick and does not weathercock hardly at all.

04-03-2007
Submitted by: donna4955Send Email

I think I promised another review after paddling the Stealth on moving water. It blows through standing waves exceedingly well, but when crossing eddylines you need to have an aggressive lean because the water grabs the channels on the hull and will flip you quickly if you aren't prepared. In other words, NOT a forgiving hull for moving water. Having said that, the same feature that might flip you (channelled hull) also allows you to carve and maneuver precisely on moving water, which is a great feature when you're trying to quickly go cross-river to avoid a strainer. It goes where you tell it to.

One annoyance: mine had the skeg - the kind that mounts on the end of the kayak (not underneath). It's a hassle when loading and unloading the boat, and I never actually used the skeg. With the channelled hull, this boat doesn't need it.

I think this is a good compromise boat for someone who can't quite decide between a whitewater kayak or a recreational kayak, but you need to know something about moving water dynamics to use it to best effect on moving water. Not saying you need to be some kind of expert, just the basics such as knowing which way to lean when crossing an eddyline and such.

07-12-2006

I just took delivery of a new stealth after a several week wait. I had paddled one at a local dealer's "demo day" and thought it would be a good boat for easy rivers. After paddling my boat, I think it was better before I bought it. Besides the foot room problem (what was I thinking? I wear size 9's)the boat leaks at every bungee and deck line attachment point. On my initial paddle I had about a quart of water in the cockpit and a cup in the rear hatch. The front hatch only had a couple of tablespoons in it. Lookinf from the inside of the boat, you can see daylight at every point where the bungees/deck lines go through the molded fitting. I have e-mailed Riot about this but have received no reply from them. So much for customer service. The local dealer isn't much interested either.

The boat tracks fairly well and is manuverable.

03-27-2006
Submitted by: donna4955Send Email

I picked up this boat two days ago, sight unseen (got a good deal online). However, I did do some research first. I am writing this review based on my maiden voyage (today), which took place on flat water (about 8 miles on a slow moving creek). I will write another review after I get it out on some Class I or II rapids.

First impression & handling: This odd-looking shallow arch hull (referred to by some as a "hybrid" or "crossover" style) pushes you upward, and causes you to sit somewhat high. It feels tippy at first. After 10 minutes, that feeling is gone; I got acclimated to it quickly. It moves through the water quite nicely. While I wouldn't call it fast exactly, it's not slow, and it has a "quick" way about it (similar in that way to the Manitou 13, and I think quicker than the Necky Zoar Sport LV), tracks very well, maneuvers okay. You can edge turn it pretty easily.

Comfort: I'm not real picky; it works for me. Nice foam under the seat, adjustable backband, easily adjusted footpegs. It's fairly lightweight - 45 pounds, an easy carry. I'm female, 5'7 tall and a tad on the heavy side, but I had no problem getting in or out. However, my shoe size is 7.5 or 8 (which would translate to 6.5 or 7 in men's sizes), and while my feet were fine in it, I wouldn't want them to be more than a size larger. Just my opinion, but I think a man with more than a size 8 shoe can forget fitting in this boat. Very nice for women, though, IF they have small to medium sized feet.

Storage: My boat is a 2004 model (bought it new, but it was a "leftover") and it has foam pillars in bow and stern for floatation, but no bulkheads. I've heard some of the Stealths do have a bulkhead or two (?) and that MAY be true of the later models, I'm not sure. The stern hatch opening is quite wide, neoprene with a cover. Goes on easily, and has attachments points to make sure you don't lose the cover or neoprene. The storage space is smaller than it looks, as this is not a high volume boat. Still, good enough for my purposes. Mine doesn't have a bow hatch, but has netting and is "hatch ready", meaning there is a molded place where I could put a hatch (and probably will).

That's all I can think of right now. While I'm trying to be objective and contain my excitement, I must admit my gut reaction is "I REALLY LIKE THIS BOAT, A LOT!!!". Just has a nice way about it, I can't explain it really.

I'm giving it a 9 for now just because I need to see how it does on faster moving water before I give it a 10, but I was tempted. All in all, NICE BOAT!

11-13-2005

What a great and versatile kayak for the person who is fortunate enough to fit in it. After paddling mine on slow moving rivers, 4 ft. surf, lakes, and protected salt water areas, I've come to really enjoy the performance I'm getting out of it. With the sealed rear hatch I can carry gear for day or overnight trips. I highly recommend hopping into one of these, it is a kayak that a beginner can start with and grow with. It is unlike any other rec. boat out there, most are designed for stability only, but the Stealth is not only stable but is incredibly fun to edge and super easy to roll. As you can tell, I'm having fun with mine and highly recommend it for beginners or people seeking a super versatile kayak.

Backwater Paddle Company: