Product Reviews > Canoes > Mohawk Canoes > Viper 12 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Viper 12 Canoe by Mohawk Canoes

Rated: 8.2/10 Based On: 5 Reviews

Canoes
Research Canoes in the Buyers' Guide!

Select Canoe to View in Buyers' Guide

10-02-2013

I have spent about 100 river days in a Viper 12, mostly C2-C3 with a handful of C4. It was my first whitewater boat. Its rep for being edgy intimidated me at first. And indeed, I have been window-shaded on more than one occasion. But with time in the boat, I learned the proper leans and strokes to minimize the swims.

The Viper 12 attains better than anything else I have tested. It ferries extremely well. It catches eddies one would think are too small, and delivers you into them crisply. It can be driven from the rear without throwing you, but it also responds well to being driven from the front.

The standard Mohawk single-strap outfitting is comfy, and easily adjustable. There is a lot of room for all the stuff your kayaking buddies want you to carry. Its volume allows you to blow through a lot of holes that would stop smaller boats. Although now considered old school, this is a hot boat, and I have enjoyed paddling it.

04-02-2009

Hi, I have been paddling whitewater OC-1 for 20 years now. I started in a Dagger Encore, then paddled Mohawk Probe 12s for about 2 yrs, then tried a Viper 12 and bought one immediately. I paddled ABS Vipers for about 10 years, then got one made in glass/kevlar. I am a lapsed ACA certified instructor...

Because of its hard chine (edge) the Viper had the rep of being unstable, but I think it is a very stable boat (flat bottomed). You quickly learn where the edge is. If you lean past that point be ready to brace, but when you lean the boat over it places that edge in the water making a "keel" that will precisely hold your line, and allow you to carve to your hearts content. Where a round bottomed boat will tend to slide out on moves and ferries, the Viper will grab the water.

With the flared outwales, especially in the bow, the boat is very dry in the hands of a skilled paddler. It is possible to control your course with subtle weight shift's and leans. IMO it is a fast boat, especially my glass one. It is an excellent surfing machine as well. I can't recommend them highly enough.

12-01-2003
Submitted by: SKGSend Email

The Viper 12 was my first whitewater boat. When I was entering the sport, I paddled an Outrage, an Ocoee, and a Probe 12II. The probe 12ii felt identical to the Viper 12 to me. I have been very satisfied with the boat. It is a very forgiving beginner boat, and it will take you a long way in the sport. I felt most comfortable in the Viper of all the boats that I tried.

11-13-2000
Submitted by: GNDSend Email

I spent two weeks in a Viper 12 and 11. In the end I choose the 12. It had better glide, took less strokes to get on a wave or in a hole. I felt it was edgeyer than the 11. Definetly drier. Held its line better on a ferry. More stable , empty or full of water. I think if you're strictly a playboater the 11 may be a better choice. I choose the 12 becuase it felt more like a slalom racer to me. Faster. The size does'nt bother me, but then again I thought my 14' Whitesell was plenty small on the Upper Yough in '88. I'm 6'2" and 230lbs. so this may have something to do with my preference for the 12. Paddle both if you can, you may find your preconceptions don't hold water.

08-27-2000
Submitted by: EinarSend Email

Buy a Viper 11 if you are into Vipers. A snappy, demanding boat, surfs and carves well although it is starting to get dated. The Viper 12 isn't even related; in style slow and carves average.