Product Reviews > Canoes > Mohawk Canoes > Intrepid 16 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Intrepid 16 Canoe by Mohawk Canoes

Canoes
Research Canoes in the Buyers' Guide!

Select Canoe to View in Buyers' Guide

05-29-2013
Submitted by: CurtisSend Email

I've had my Intrepid 16 for about 7 years now and it's like part of the family. Short trips, long trips, it does them all well. It is a bit of a bear for maneuverability but all in all I couldn't ask for much more. It handles the rapids great and handles two people very well. I'm 220 lbs and can easily fill this canoe with anything I need for several day trips.

03-30-2005
Submitted by: tstarSend Email

I like the Intrepid 16 a lot, because it strikes the right balance for my purposes. Its main advantage is that it can handle whitewater better than most recreational, tripping, or touring canoes, but still does a decent job for those purposes as well. It is rugged, and has very good initial stability and capacity. It can handle two big paddlers. The tradeoffs are that it's maybe 5 or 7 lb heavier than most Royalex canoes this size, and hull efficiency is compromised a bit, so it is not the best for paddling long distances quickly. These tradeoffs suit me very well.

09-24-2003
Submitted by: mister_jSend Email

After 1 season of use, my Intrepid 16 has shown some versatility, but deserves more testing. As a tandem whitewater canoe, it leaves much to be desired...the slight rocker makes it a difficult turner, quite hard to turn into an eddy, but a real gun in heavy rapids without lots of quick adjustments. I haven't used it for longer touring trips yet, but it's quick and tracks reasonably well on slow or still water. It's not quite as tough as I'd hoped it would be, considering it's heavy weight...I've already gone through the hull...and two are definitely needed to load and unload it, unless you're very young and very fit (neither of which I am). All in all, I've found it to be a good all-purpose canoe.

08-31-2000
Submitted by: BobSend Email

Intrepid 16 is a rugged canoe, with serious protection from whitewater rock impact. Glides well in calm and stands up to 1-2 foot seas better than most and still manuevers well for its length. You can easily walk end to end with stability like this! Highly recommended for abusive whitewater action and constant beaching. Heavy is its only shortfall, but safety at a small weight increase is very comforting.

Bending Branches: