Product Reviews > Kayaks > Perception > Acadia 11.5 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Acadia 11.5 Kayak by Perception

Rated: 8.83/10 Based On: 12 Reviews

07-27-2013

Great all around kayak. Flat water or moving streams and rivers are perfect for this strong craft. I have paddled in many kayaks but always come back to my Acadia

02-12-2010
Submitted by: AHSend Email

I have owned my Acadia for 4 years now and still love it. I'm a graduate student that works in the salt marshes and barrier islands of Virginia and have used this kayak many times to reach places up small canals or to cross open water between islands. I'm not really comfortable going out with big swells, but in moderate conditions, the Acadia has always gotten me there. My only complaint is the seat, I work in salt water and there has been some weird corrosion around the seat attachments and overall the back rest has broken down a little. I've talked with people about replacing the seat and its going to be a bit difficult. However, I use and abuse this thing and have made many miles in it. Its a little heavier than some of the kayaks I've used, but is still not too hard to drag over the flats when the tide leaves you dry.

08-11-2009
Submitted by: Mike MartinSend Email

I've owned my Perceptions Acadia 11.5 for 3 years. It is my favorite of the three kayaks I own. Excellent stability. It's fast & comfortable. I've done flat water, whitewater rapids & water falls (cannot surf due to its length & keel), and have used it in the bays of the Texas Coast. I can't understand anyone not enjoying this yak.

05-10-2009
Submitted by: RyanSend Email

I have had the boat for over 3 years now and wondered how I ever paddled Otters and such. This boat is great. It turns nice, keeps solid lines and can actually take a Class 2 whitewater with style (that is after I rolled it and had another go around).

If you have a chance to buy one, do it. They are reliable and affordable and are just a great all around fun.

05-10-2007
Submitted by: HSend Email

Bought a new Acadia 11.5 this year, after owning a Loon 138. I loved the Loon, except for it's weight and size, as I have to transport it on top of my car. The Acadia is 2 feet shorter, and 10lbs. lighter. So, I thought the Acadia would be a good choice. So far, I have gone out on some local rivers, and the boat has handled well, although not as stable as the Loon. I am planning on a Hudson River trip and some outings in the bays along the LI Sound this summer. Hopefully, the Acadia will fare well.

09-29-2006
Submitted by: E

I've paddled since I was young but this was the first kayak I bought, and though it is recreational I've taken it on conditions and trips worthy of touring kayaks and handled beautifully. a friend of mine has one as well and between the two of us storage capacity accomodated for a 2 day camping/ paddling expedition in which we encountered heavy winds and 3-4' waves, our biggest complaints were some water in the boats which could be eliminated if wed brought skirts. rigging allows for deck bags for those who need more storage, but the rear compartment has enough space for a solo day trip as well. If you want a kayak that handles well in various conditions for beginner to intermediate paddlers, and can be enjoyed by more advanced ones as well, this is a good buy for the price. Enjoy!

06-28-2006
Submitted by: esSend Email

I really like the acadia. I took it on a two day camping trip down the delaware river and had a blast. It was extremely smooth and bouyant. The boat made it a very enjoyable trip. I wish that it was about 5lbs lighter, but I'm sure in a few weeks of paddling, I'll have no problem. It's a great kayak that goes beyond the beginner level.

05-08-2006

This boat moves through the water like an old plow pony. Doesn't turn particularly well for its short length. It's stable but you really gotta kick it to get it to go. Only advantage to the Acadia is you get a rear hatch for stowing things. With the boat's size, you still wouldn't want to carry more than say, lunch, especially if you are a larger person. If you are bargain conscious, or want a cheap spare, just get some float bags and outfit one of the Pungo copy boats (Victory brand, Navigator or Classic 12). Half the price and you'll have more fun.

04-24-2006

Great first kayak for those looking to paddle on relatively calm waters. Ideal for inland waterways, lakes, bays and ponds. I took second in a race for kayaks under fourteen feet in this boat.

08-02-2005

I took advantage of an L.L. Bean Paddlefest at the beach in front of the Cheasapeake Bay Foundation Headquarters near Annapolis Maryland. I tried a number of boats, including the Acadia 11.5. There were 1.5' swells and the Acadia handled these very nicely. I liked this boat, even took it out for a second spin. Entry and exit were easy. The boat is comfortable and turned on a dime. This seems to be a great boat for anyone wanting to do mostly flatwater, with a little leeway for doing some calmish open water. Without spending some hours in the boat I could not in good faith give it a 10.

07-26-2005
Submitted by: AllisonSend Email

I am a beginner and love my new Acadia! It handles well and gives a very stable ride. The boat cuts through the water like a dream. I also love the Cloudburst color! Overall, I would recommend this boat to anyone wanting to make a purchase in the $500 - $600 range.

05-24-2005
Submitted by: ClydeSend Email

Great first kayak. Never having paddled before I was expecting something a lot more difficult. The Acadia handles well, is stable and forgiving. Can't say how well it would handle rough or white water. Not too much of either here in Florida. Tracking might be weak but I blame a lot of that on my inexperience. Kind of a "the faster I go the behinder I get" thing. The cockpit is comfy even after a couple of hours, if I adjust the foot pads so my knees rest firmly under the decking. The boat is nearly identical to my wife's Element 2 which has been reviewed many times. I'm happy.

Rendezvous River Sports
Zoar Outdoor
Free Shipping on all New Kayaks!