Product Reviews > Kayaks > Folbot > Edisto Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Edisto Kayak by Folbot

Edisto Kayak by Folbot

Length: 13' 0" - Width: 30.00" - Starting at: $2100.00
See More Details about this Kayak
Folbot Logo

05-18-2005
Submitted by: ERBSend Email

I focused on folding kayaks mainly due to carrying and storage issues. I was looking for some touring capability and I considered rigid boats but the price difference becomes much less. This is particularly true when needing a roof rack (my SUV requires a rack on rack which looks stupid). I looked at other folding manufacturers but I think Folbot has a better value for most users short of extended expeditions. I looked at the Cooper, but the cockpit is too small for me (6-3, 36 inseam) as with similar models from others. I liked the Kodiak but they said it does not have the legroom I need and suggested the Yukon which I was not thrilled with (mainly looks). Eventually I settled on the Edisto and being convertible more than overcame the higher cost. I got it during their late summer sale with both decks and a credit for not getting the paddle so my total cost was similar to the MSRP of just the boat. I got the single bag option since it comes with a harness for use as a backpack (I have not tried it). As they mentioned it is difficult to get the two decks and all inside. It is also quite bulky. I would probably recommend the two bags especially if planning to fly somewhere.

I am quite impressed with the Edisto. I can carry it in my SUV or my 2+2 coupe. Assembly and breakdown are pretty easy and take about 20+ minutes without rushing. The first time out I was on a lake where on heading back in I had some wind blown waves about a foot high. I was not using either deck and the only water that got inside was dripage from the paddle. I have used it on some small rivers where unfortunately there were a number of trees down that I had to go over. Being a skin on frame, I often worry a little about sharp objects in the water. When I pulled out of the water there were virtually no marks on the bottom. The tracking and stability are good.

The customer service is very good and they stand behind their products. There was a lot of help during my decision process. When I got the Edisto there was a problem with the deck supports fitting with the spanner brackets. Plus, unlike the half-deck which is scalloped around the knobs at the attach point between the gunwale and frame, the full-deck requires removal of the knobs to get the studs through the grommets. There is not much play in this setup and on mine the rear was too tight and fore deck was too long. After some correspondence with measurements and pictures, I sent the full-deck and supports back for the necessary modifications. The new deck supports fit perfectly now and the full-deck looks and fits quite well after the removal of the grommets and scalloping those locations.