Product Reviews > Kayaks > Old Town Canoe > Dirigo 120 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Dirigo 120 Kayak by Old Town Canoe

Rated: 9.01/10 Based On: 68 Reviews

Dirigo 120 Kayak by Old Town Canoe

Length: 12' 0" - Width: 27.75" - Starting at: $699.99
See More Details about this Kayak
Old Town Canoe Logo

09-29-2014
Submitted by: Josh Wilson Send Email

Love this kayak, use it all year round for hunting fishing and just enjoying nature highly recommend this boat as a fisherman

09-18-2014
Submitted by: jacob sandersSend Email

This kayak is very smooth and fast, I feel like I have so much control of it while paddling or even floating. I'd recommend this kayak to all of my friends plus I'd love to have another.

09-10-2014

Purchased a year ago and used 4 times. Some manufacturing quality issues such as leaking rear bulk head and seat, back strap tearing out. Contacted customer service and they are in process of sending repair items.
+ they are sending out repair items free
- poor initial manufacturing
- repairs have to be performed by owner

09-09-2014

Used this kayak on a few lakes and rivers and it handles extremely well. It is very stable and tracks very good. I am 180lbs and 5'10" and this kayak is perfect form me. Very effortless to paddle. Only set back form me was the price, but then again I guess you get what you pay for, because this is truly a nice kayak.

09-07-2014

Great all around kayak. doesn't handle chop the best and not well suited for smaller paddlers because of the width. This is a tough boat, tracks good and turns good and it's comfortable. Holds enough gear for a couple days worth of camping although not a speed demon by any means but holds it's own.

I've had this kayak for 5+ years and it has served me very well. Just bought the angler version Dirigo 120. I paddle big slow rivers and small rivers like the Mississippi, Wisconsin and Kickapoo rivers.

I highly recommend this kayak for beginners or anyone who needs a tough all around kayak.

09-06-2014
Submitted by: TomSend Email

After much research, I purchased my first kayak....an Old Town Dirigo 120....about 1 1/2 years ago. I was looking for that just-right balance of speed, stability, comfort, durability, and multiple use. I have been very pleased. The hull design gives the boat good initial and secondary stability. It is reasonably fast, tracks well, and the seat is very supportive. The "dashboard" feature is convenient and I use it all the time.

Now that I have had it for a while and continue to compare to other kayaks, I am convinced I made the "just-right" choice.

09-05-2014

The Dirigo 120 is a great multi-purpose boat. It is stable with a large (40 inch)cockpit. It is rugged on the rocks, adequate for most class 2-3 rapids. The boat has a good turning radius but it also tracks well on flat water. The seat is comfortable compared to most kayaks and can be adjusted for individual preferences. The boat has good control w/ foot, knee and back control points. Storage is adequate for day trips but comes up short for overnight tours. The biggest drawback is lack of speed on flat water. It requires stamina to keep up with the longer and faster boats. It is a GREAT multi-purpose kayak.

09-05-2014
Submitted by: BruceSend Email

Just bought an Old Town Dirigo 120. It is the best paddling kayak i have ever paddled. I had a Future Beach 144 before this one, I got the Dirigo because it is easier to paddle and is much faster and lighter for an old geezer (72)to handle. I use an old jet ski trailer to haul it around; works great truck box is too short.
Very satisfied with the kayak.

08-23-2014

very good stable kayak, I am a beginner paddler, and this is my first kayak....I paddle in a large river that can turn choppy quickly and have never had a problem!! as far as comfort have done a few 20 kilometer trips in it and have always been comfortable, very much leg room and a nice comfy seat...which is stock to this kayak. Have bass fished many times out it as well, and was very pleased with the room I had...the dash at the front of the cockpit was a awesome idea!!...as far as storage goes...there is all kinds of room in the dry storage area in the back..a dry well in the dash is nice for the truck keys and of course the on deck storage with bungee tie downs front and back on the deck.

In parting, I would say for all around fun on the water the Dirigo is the complete package....easy to paddle and very responsive..light to carry with a lot of room for your day on the water!!!!

08-05-2014

First of all, Old Town Canoe is a brand you can believe in. They produce quality products in every line of product. The Old Town Dirigo 120 Angler is another example of their dedication to quality, function, and value. They think about everything. This kayak is not only comfortable, stable, easy to paddle, but also extremely functional for every angler. It is fully equipped with all the anglers need, plus more.

07-03-2014
Submitted by: Mike WorthingtonSend Email

The Old Town Dirigo 120 is a solid entry level fishing kayak. I've been fishing out of this kayak for 5 years and the cockpit layout is fantastic. I've done several river runs with the Dirigo 120 with no issues.

The Dirigo is way lighter than my fancy sit-on-top kayak, and I can carry it quite a ways if needed to. I need a cart for my sit-on-top kayak because it weighs a ton. You still have the option of attaching a skirt with the Dirigo and staying dry. That's something that the newer sit-on-tops lack. Although this kayak doesn't have all the bells and whistles that the newer sit-on-top fishing kayaks have, the Dirigo will still get the job done at half the price.

08-09-2013

Bought this Kayak used a few years ago and it is excellent! Paddles easy and fast, compared to a similar sized Walden. Storage is good, enhanced with the dash pocket. There is plenty of room for a 250-pounder and some gear.
The bungee lines add value and are well placed for on-board and shore access. Carry handles are the best of my small fleet.

This boat is easy to steer and to cover distance without frequent correction strokes. I prefer an along boat paddle holder to the across-boat holder on this on. It is, however, easy to add.
Dirigo 120 is an easy boat to recommend.

08-08-2013

I bought the Old Town Dirigo 120 kayak about 8 years ago and it has been great fun. I like the big cockpit and rear hatch and the 4" hatch, it is also very stable. It paddles good for a 12 foot kayak. I put 2 flush rod holders behind the seat and a Scotty rod hold on the dash. The crosslink 3 material is stiff and tuff. See you on the water.

07-31-2013

What a great kayak!
I bought this kayak to add to a growing addiction for kayaks. My husband already has the Old Town Adventure 139 and I have the Old Town Cayuga 130 that we use for touring mostly. I actually bought this kayak for my mom to use. She has a bit of trouble with her kness. I wanted a kayak that had a large cockpit and was easy to get into/out of. Also it needed to be around 12 feet long. And also easy for mom or other friends to try. The Old Town Dirigo 120 fit the bill perfectly.

Since my mom lives far away I thought I'd just have to try out the Dirigo for myself. I love it. It has the deluxe seat and it is so comfortable. I love the cockpit roominess. I usually just take a small lunch cooler and toss it between my feet and it is easy to get.

Lately I have been using the Dirigo on some local rivers. These rivers are not wide and before I was using the Cayuga 130. I now prefer the Dirigo 120 on these rivers. The Dirigo turns so quickly. I like the length and the turning aspect of the recreational kayak.

The only negative is that my husband decided to try out the Dirigo and now we have to flip a coin to see who gets to use it.

07-30-2013

Having purchased far more used kayaks than I care to remember, I decided to take the plunge and purchase a new Old Town Dirigo 120 from a sporting goods store that was going out-of-business. Now, years later, quite a few years later, I find that the Dirigo has gone through a few modifications. But as far as I can see, it is essentially the same boat.

Basically, the Dirigo is a mid-sized rec-boat with excellent stability and decent cargo capacity. The soft seat (useful on long trips) adjusts in two directions allowing you to individualize your comfort. The cockpit is large enough to hold my small dog (the newer ones have that terrible over-sized cockpit opening).

Basically, I purchased the Dirigo because I like OT construction. Their multi-ply hull is incredibly strong and refuses to deform even in the Arizona heat. This also allows the boat to take incredible punishment like beaching or striking an underwater rock as the speedboat wakes lift and drop you.
The stern dry-hatch is large enough to hold almost anything, a good deal when most boats require you to unload your dry-bag to get the tent stuffed within.

The boat keeps up with 14-footers easily though a 16-foot will leave you behind. A multi-day trip down the Colorado River kept me in the middle of the fleet, slower than the Sea-kayaks, faster than the other 12-foot kayaks plus I could get into areas that the longer boats could not reach and it carried everything I needed and more.

So, why this one?
Because I wanted a boat that would do a multi-day trip and still do day-trips and the Dirigo 120 did both. I've done 5 days out of that boat (hauling 170# of gear with no problems) and I've taken it on a day trip with much smaller boats.

I HAVE made a few modifications that the Dirigo forgives easily. I shoved some closed-cell foam under the seat to prevent wear. Shoved the same under my heels for comfort. Added Pad-eyes and deck line all over the thing and even added a bow bulkhead and dry-hatch and the Dirigo took every one in stride. Even cutting a 9" hole in the fore-deck didn't harm the integrity or strength of the hull. My only problem is that after too many years of punishment, I finally broke the seat-back. But a phone call and $30 and I received the new unit a few days later which installed easily.

I do wish that they would put a bulkhead and hatch in the bow as most lunch breaks would allow my food to be on the beach instead of wading into the water to reach the stern hatch. But that is rare on a 12-foot boat so I added one myself. NOTE, do NOT try this unless you are very good at this sort of thing. I am, so could, and did but my warranty ran out long ago so no problem. Still, after what, a decade or more of punishment (I am very hard on my boats), my Dirigo is still as strong as ever, so why replace it?

07-27-2013

The Dirigo 120 is a great kayak. (I owned the older model with the silver-looking foam seat and often kick myself for selling it.) The rigidity of the three-layer plastic was unmatched by anything I have paddled other than a royalex canoe. Even the cockpit rim was firm enough to use as a handle when loading and to brace against when exiting the kayak.

The kayak was very stable, handled well, and gave me peace of mind when I found myself in nasty, churning, wind and boat-wake conditions. At 12 feet, the kayak made navigating stumps and swampy areas easy. The seat was comfortable for hours of fishing or paddling and my model had knobs on the side for easy seat adjustment. The cockpit was bigger than some sit-inside kayaks, so I had some wiggle room! A small waterproof hatch with a screw-on lid was a really nice feature. The rear latching hatch provided a nice dry seal for storage.

My only complaint with the Dirigo 120 was that my "wingspread" forced me to make shorter paddling strokes due to the short length of the kayak. A Dirigo 140 might have fixed that for me...

07-27-2013

Purchased this boat in March. I have the 120XT Blackcherry. I love this kayak. I've taken her to some places a rec kayak should go, but she went anyway. In the end, she was scratched a little, but in better condition than I. A little sunshine fixed her dings.

My only complaint is the placement of the paddle keeper. It's fine when leisurely paddling, but in a sprint or draw the button seems to be where it doesn't belong.
Overall- 9.5 outta 10.

07-24-2013
Submitted by: david dodsonSend Email

I've had the Dirigo for about 2 years. I wasn't sure I needed the "advanced comfort seat", but it is way better than the seats in other boats. At 12' she tracks well and outpaces the sit ons that go fishing with me. She didn't come with any rod holders, but I rigged her with three rod holders and an anchor trolley for less than $100. She does pick up a lot of scratches on the bottom, but they're only cosmetic and it is plastic. I use her to fish mostly but I have taken her down rivers and in mild surf without any issues. She is a great all around kayak.

07-23-2013
Submitted by: Deb MozurkewichSend Email

I've had the opportunity to ride in three different kayaks, this Dirigo 120 was a real gem to ride in. A friend of mine knew I was looking for a stable ride and let me try his out. It was great! It tracked well, was quick and responsive and made me feel in complete control. I loved it and would love to own one of these kayaks! I rode it down a stretch of the Huron River, near my home. Great ride!

05-13-2013

The Dirigo 120 is one of the best do it all boats out there for the money. It's not the fastest boat but it tracks nicely, it's stable but handles well and has a comfy seat with a roomy cockpit to boot. It also comes with a lot of nice standard features and lots of storage for a recreational boat.

I kitted mine out for fishing myself (quite a bit cheaper than buying the angler version) and it works great! It always feels stable and rides the chop pretty well if I'm paddling or at anchor. The weight isn't too bad for a 12' rec boat either. I can carry it on my shoulder for 50 yards if I need to without too much trouble.

All and all, a great boat at a good price for the beginning to intermediate paddler. It comes in a 10' version, but spend the few extra bucks and buy the 12'. You won't regret it.

04-30-2013
Submitted by: SteveSend Email

I have owned many kayaks: Otters, Loons, Castine, Necky Manitou 13, Cayuga 13 and 14.6 - this rates up there with the Cayuga; it's far from a Cayuga, but for the money you can't go wrong. Anyone who rates this low does not know much about kayaks, this can be used on rivers or lakes, and very comfy, if you are a fisherman or woman this is the boat for you. A lot of room, great for fishing, paddles great, tracks very well.

08-31-2012
Submitted by: sam a selfSend Email

great kayak for large guys has a cup holder and lots of storage

08-02-2012

good for large boys

09-26-2011

Last year I bought a new 2009 model XT after selling my Twin Otter because I no longer take April (my pooch) along. It is a great kayak for around the bay, lakes and up to class 2 rivers. Plenty of room to enter and exit, good foot room for long legs and big feet (size 12) with water shoes on.

It has many good features: Twist locks on rear hatch, front dash with cup holder and small storage compartment, paddle holder, good deck rigging,drain plug and best of all, a fantastic seat. It's two downsides are weight(55lbs), and tracking in the wind. A skeg would make this boat a 10! My boat in particular, tends to track off to the right when not paddling which is really annoying. Yet, reading other reviews, it may be unique to my boat. For its may good features I would recommend this kayak to friends.

09-20-2011

Tried out the Dirigo 120 a couple of weeks ago.

Pros:
The angler version comes with just about everything. No need to modify. The seat is very comfortable. The hatches can be accessed while on the water. The drain plug is very useful.

Cons:
Seat set forward more so than the Pungo 120 I own, which was a bit odd. I felt like I had little forward room, but it is my perception only, there certainly is enough room. The boat I tried out did not track well, it drifted to the right which I found to be distracting enough that I would not want to use it. It is priced high enough that it should track straight, I was disappointed. The knee padding is cheaply constructed. The carrying handles are attached to the deck bungees which stretches out the deck bungee every time you carry it.

I would have given the angler version of this boat a 9 had it tracked straight, because of all the added features. Unfortunately, the poor tracking is something I cannot accept.

06-25-2010

Pretty good boat for rec use...very stable, comfy seat, easy access rear hatch. I can even reach the rear hatch while on the water and the cam locks make it easy to open/close. Never any issues with water tightness, but front 'day hatch' can get a few drops. Not very fast, but makes up in roominess.

One drawback is weight. Old Town made an attempt to lighten in 2009 models by going to what they called a 'variable layer' design (as opposed to the traditional 3 layer). It does save maybe 6 or 7 pounds, but because it is thinner and uses less plastic, I can actually feel the hull flexing in the water at times. Much different from the 3 layer Old Town 'Loons' we used to rent that were very stiff. If weight is an issue, go with the 2009 variable layer. If you prefer better build quality, check for the tri-layer (easy to spot as it will have a beige-colored interior layer). Looks as if Old Town has gone back to the 3 layer design from the looks of their website.

I give this boat an 8 out of 10 due to its moderate speed and fair build quality. Perhaps a different model year and I would give it a 9. Does very well for its intended purpose (small to medium sized flatwater lakes, slow rivers; do not recommend Great Lakes). Very stable and virtually indestructible. Even with those good qualities, I feel the rear hatch is one of its best features...lots of storage space and cam lock system is super easy even from a seated position. Some earlier models did not come standard with a paddle holder, but this one did; it is well positioned (much more so than my touring boat that cost twice as much).

Even though there are less expensive rec boats out there, this one is a pretty good value for the price; 12 feet of boat is more than enough for anyone in the novice/intermediate stage and it's hard to damage the rotomolded plastic.

05-14-2010

The angler version is a near ideal. Tracks well, has tons of storage space, stable. Several have asked for a rudder but the stern has a narrowed tail that acts like a stabilizer rudder without the additional weight, controls. Just a good all around lake and river kayak. Great for the novice as well. The weight can be a little intimidating but with a bit of practice becomes a non issue. Would recommend a pneumatic wheeled carrier if you have a distance to carry from vehicle to water, spend your energy paddling!

03-29-2010
Submitted by: Ryan

i have had my boat for a couple of years and this thing is great. its very stable has a lot of storage room and make one heck of a fishing platform. i have been out in 10 degree weather busting ice and going over rocks and this thing is a tank. it tracks well and and is a good size for open water and even smaller rivers.

06-06-2009

The Dirigo 120 is nearly a perfect kayak for the intended purpose. I've now had it on both rivers and lakes and can report that it has excellent initial stability, tracks straight, turns easily and while not a speedster is reasonably fast for a 12 foot boat. The stern hatch is extremely easy to access and appears to be water tight. The seat is large, very adjustable (from within the kayak except for the backrest height), and probably as comfortable as you'll find in a kayak.

It has plenty of deck rigging for a rec boat and handy grab handles. It features a very rugged hull and the boat handles my 5'10" 220 LB frame easily and safely. The built in dashboard and cup holders are a great addition and it's easier to get in and out of than any kayak I've tried. It's the kind of boat you can relax in as opposed to a skinnier faster boat that is designed to cover more distance. You can also get a pretty good leg tan in this thing.

If you're looking for a true recreational kayak give this a test paddle-it will probably fit the bill! I'd give it a 10 except that it weighs 55 LBS. But at the price it is you're not going to find a new 40 LB boat.

09-15-2008

One of the best yaks that I have paddled in so far. I still don't own my own yak yet, but have been renting for a couple of years now. I recently kayaked in the dirigo on vacation in Canada and loved it. It was really fast and I was able to cover a lot more area than normal. Downfall is the seat was not the most comfortable, but that could be the wear and tear of it being a rental. The seat adjustments kept unwinding. But overall, I really like it. It is more on the heavier side than I would initially like, but if it great in the water, then that great for me.

09-09-2008
Submitted by: JIMSend Email

Just bought Dirigo from REI; paddled Sand Harbor at Tahoe and totally enjoyed the day. Tracks great for a non-rudder boat. Did the Truckee river (Class II-III) Went through the whitewater park without incident.

Does take work to paddle through low-water rocks. Need a spray skirt for river work due to open cockpit. Would not take it on class IV EVER.

My 9 rating is due to the front water-proof compartment - LEAKS as mentioned. Back compartment is truly water tight.

08-27-2008
Submitted by: BJSend Email

I LOVE my Dirigo 120. I was looking at buying this kayak when I found it on Craigslist in Feb of this year. What luck! I have had it on several rivers in TN. Most of the time I am out 2-5 hours at a time. I have back trouble and the padded seat helps tremendously. The only negative - I have to have someone help me load it on my car. It is a little heavy to do by myself. Other than that... no complaints!

08-23-2008
Submitted by: LoriSend Email

I love the Dirigo! I am a 45 year old woman and less than tiny! I get in and out easily and find the Dirigo very easy to move across the water.

I am fairly new to paddling (some canoeing and kayaking with my husband in a tandem)and after trying a shorter, wider kayak that I found too tippy - I bought the Dirigo and just love it.

I am a semi-professional landscape and wildlife photographer and I take my camera with me all the time. The Dirigo is very stable and I don't fear dumping and losing my camera. It has proved invaluable for sneaking up on wildlife in and near the water.

I've read comments about how difficult it is to turn but I don't find that to be a problem at all. For recreational purposes I would recommend this kayak to anyone.

08-19-2008
Submitted by: Julie TSend Email

I did SO much homework before picking up a Dirigo 120, and yet I probably still made a mistake.
Don't get me wrong -- lots to like. Great storage, stability, very comfy seat, and tracks well. But this thing turns like a semi and weighs more than about any boat in its class at 55 lbs. Trying to load it alone on the cartop has mostly caused me lots of aggravation and some vehicle paint damage, and getting it to the water is also surprisingly cumbersome.

I am just looking for something both easier to handle solo and more maneuverable on the water, so honestly I'll be putting this baby on Craig's List come spring. It was just not the right call for me (44 y/o active female, kayaking with a club but otherwise solo, and wanting more maneuverability for easy rivers than straight lines across the local lake).

07-10-2008
Submitted by: ENSend Email

Old Town Dirigo 120 Anglers Edition. Purchased this in fall of 2007 after tons of research. Have logged a lot of hours in this craft. Very well made, as I would expect from Old Town. Good amount of storage, excellent weight capacity, stable and tracking is great. There is no reason to add a rudder to this craft. I find it moves along at a very good clip with an easy stroke. I have no problem throwing it up on top of the car or carrying it some distance to the water. I have added a few accessories like additional rod holders, paddle holder and depth finder. I would highly recommend you take a look at this kayak.

06-19-2008

A huge step up from an Otter. Very comfortable seat with great back support. A good amount of dry storage (that really stays dry) for an overnight trip. Turns are slower and require a good size radius because of the length. Tracks extremely well, even in rough waters.

I've used the kayak on lakes with winds from calm to 40+ miles an hour. Even with the larger waves from the strong winds, the kayak proved very stable. The small dry storage in the front could use a better seal: don't put electronics on the bottom. You will collect a little water in it. There is a lot of leg space. The foot pedals are great and very adjustable. They help a lot with stability in strong winds and waves. The wide body keeps your speed down, but is great for kicking your feet over the edge and pulling out a book on flat water and just relaxing. I couldn't be happier with my new kayak!

03-20-2008

Took up kayaking in summer of 2006. Started with an entry level kayak and last summer I upgraded to a Dirigo 120. Living along a river and retired, I enjoy going first thing in the morning with a mug of coffee. I usually paddle for a couple of hours. I also truck my kayak to other lakes and rivers occasionally.

The Dirigo 120 is just great. I love the dry well in front for small items like keys, cellphone etc. as well as the adjustable seat and large waterproof hatch at the rear. I was out fifty some times last summer and even tried it out in whitecap conditions to test it's stability. Handled the waves perfectly. This boat tracks well, is comfortable and super stable. I would recommend it to anyone and the only reason I gave it a nine instead of a ten is I wish it was a little lighter for transporting.

03-06-2008

I purchased the Dirigo 120 after about two months of research, comparing, checking load capacities, and reading other reviews.
My biggest concern was the maximum load being that at the time I was over 275lbs. The Dirigo is perfect for what I want to do. Day and overnight trips with room to store camping gear and supplies on water from flat rivers to ocean shoreline.

I have been on two trips so far, one 12.6 mile and one 15.2 mile and the Dirigo performed just fine. I had a bit of trouble tracking at first due to my inexperience at paddling, but on the second trip I noticed a considerable difference for the better. The wind has a bit of effect on the kayak, and a rudder would be nice (why I gave a 9 instead of a 10) but all in all this has worked out perfectly for me.

The Dirigo is stable, responsive, and quite difficult to flip. I put it in the pool and practiced wet exits and entries. I realized how far I have to push to get this boat to flip....amazing.

I am completely satisfied with the purchase, other than the lack of a rudder.

10-18-2007

This is the first kayak I have ever owned and the second I have ever paddled and I love it. The primary stability and tracking are great but it can be a little ponderous to turn. I use it for fishing lakes and slow rivers. I've spent more than 125 hours in it this summer. Some of the trips have been 6-8 miles and several hours and I can always get out of bed the next morning. It's a keeper.

09-25-2007
Submitted by: pdSend Email

I've had many kayaks, various lengths and types: whitewater, sea, rec. This is my favorite.
The seat controls are on the outside of the cockpit so if you are using a spray skirt you can still adjust the seat. The footpegs are easy to adjust while sitting in the cockpit. The cup holder and dashboard hatch are great. It tracks well, isn't too heavy and responds well. It does a great job doing what it was built for: paddling calm water and lakes. I'm very happy with it.

08-08-2007
Submitted by: B. J. M.Send Email

I bought my Dirigo 120 3 months ago. It is a good boat but it is heavy. We usually canoe rivers and on slow moving rivers it takes a lot of effort to stay up with a Old Town Penobscot 16ft canoe. On rapids that are shallow, it is not a good boat. But on swift deep water it is a nice boat. I would never get another one.

07-06-2007
Submitted by: Ken

After trying a few models, I decided to get a his and hers set of Dirigo 120s. As our first kayak they are very stable with enough room for a comfortable overnight trip or an extended picnic. The cockpit is large enough to place our 30lb Brittany in with my wife and paddle for hours. Its speed is ok for your average rec/touring and tracking is about average to. One great advantage is the cam locks on the dry hatch and the extra dry space for keys/electronics in the cockpit.

06-05-2007

I bought the Dirigo 120 about three weeks ago at a paddle event in Chester, CT. I tried several models and liked the 120 best of all. Yesterday my wife and I went out with my friend to the Houssatonic River and paddled around for 3 miles. I have read about the tracking of the boat and I did see a bit of that yesterday, but it was just a matter of adjusting your paddling. In regards to the speed, I was able to keep up with my wife who was on a Perception kayak and my friend who was on an Eddyline. Besides, I kayak for leisure not speed and racing.
Overall, I enjoyed my trip. It is a very sturdy kayak and feels very stable.

05-17-2007

After paddling a couple of times in my old town otter I decided I needed something bigger. I choose the dirigo 120, and I'm happy I did, but it is heavy weighing in at 55 pounds, but the tracking is great. Recently I took it out on the Potomac and it handled the wind and 1.5 foot waves great. Personaly I don't think it's comfortable - well, not compared to my mom's perception sundance - but I find all my gear fits in the rear storage including my PFD.
Highly recomend for the beginner and the intermediate paddler.

02-21-2007

This is the first kayak I have owned or been in, so I don't have much to compare it to, but I have been very satisfied with the stability, speed, and handling. I got it last summer and took it out every weekend the weather would permit until it got too cold in Connecticut. The first time I put it in the water I was a little shaky for the first five minutes. Since then I have had no problems even in some pretty stiff wind and white caps. It is definitely worth the price.

10-12-2006

I purchased the Old Town Dirigo 2 years ago new and haven't been sorry. One of the reasons I chose this boat was for the weight. I'm 5'3", 125 pounds and can load and unload this boat on my Saturn without problem. It's a great length for river-running, handling Class I or II rapids well, as well as a great boat for calmer lakes. On the ocean or larger, choppier lakes waves will kick up over the bow quite a bit and the tracking leaves something to be desired, but for a smaller, wider boat, that's to be expected. The biggest bonus is the great dry storage and comfort. A very nice beginner boat. Old Town offered a free Camelback with the purchase of their kayak when I bought it. I sent in my rebate and they told me they were out of Camelbacks and that I could expect none. I was not impressed with the company's customer relations, because the free camelback was also a factor in me purchasing the boat. It took them an entire year, but this past summer I did finally receive a camelback in the mail. I'm guessing a lot of customers were just as unhappy as I was, which is why they came through on the deal. So...be wary of deals offered by this manufactorer.

09-05-2006
Submitted by: DaveSend Email

I just bought one of these for a ridiculously low price (there's apparently a blemish somewhere on it, which I've yet to find!), and have so far been more than pleased with it. Tracking is very good, if not perfect, comfort is very high (I spent three hours in it today and felt great), and stability is great.

It does feel SLIGHTLY big. It crashes a bit on waves (which I find fun, personally, but could imagine others not liking so much) and can feel a bit heavy. This does not, however, mean that it's slow. It take a bit to get going, and I'd hardly call it a sprinter, but one can get a really good pace up, and keep it up easily. The only minor problem I've found is that wind seems to act a bit more heavily on the back end, and this can sometimes affect turning.

All in all though, it's a great boat, and I expect to keep it for years and years.

06-28-2006
Submitted by: tg

I bought my dirigo 120 about a month ago. I also own an otter which is the only other kayak i have ever been in. The dirigo is a great boat, comfortable, and good storage. I have only had it on flat water and it performed very well. it had good speed. faster than the otter. it tracked well. it turned well. the side kneepads are great. i am going to buffalo river in TN this weekend so i will report how it does in some current later.

06-21-2006

I purchased my Dirigo 120 in September of 2005. Since then, I've had it out numerous times in rivers, lakes and bays. I honestly couldn't be happier. The Dirigo tracks well and I have no difficulties keeping up with other recreational boats when I am in a group - in fact, they usually have to keep up with me! The cockpit is comfortable and roomy without being overly large, the seat is comfy and allows me to change positions on the fly throughout the day. The dry storage is just that, dry! And the smaller front dry well is great for all those little necessities. Having paddled WS Pungos and Pamlicos, I have to admit that their Phase 3 seating can't be beat, thus the score of 9. Overall, I couldn't be happier with my choice. When you add in the fact that I got it at an end of season sale and got a great deal on it, well it doesnít get any sweeter than that!

06-20-2006

Have been paddling this around on the lake that I live on and am very satisfied with the performance. I finally got put on a day trip this weekend and was even more impressed. I also own a ot jolt and had a pungo 100 and think both had a more comfortable seat so took 1 point off.

06-19-2006

As you've all ready read, the Dirigo 120 is VERY comfortable, tracks well, handles well, has decent speed, very good cargo storage/capacity, and is just overall a great kayak. My only reason for giving it a 9 out of 10 is because the knobs for adjusting the seat sometimes catch me in the elbow, but that's pretty rare. All things considered, this kayak is well worth the investment.

06-07-2006

I bought this boat last april got it in the water first time yesterday. This is a great boat stable, tracks well, nice adjustable seat room for lunch fishing gear, and nice dry storage for small items, keys, camera, ect. drink holder, one nice boat!

06-02-2006
Submitted by: wwcSend Email

The Dirigo 120 is the first kayak I have ever bought. The quality and price were the deciding factors. After a trip to the lake, I was convinced I picked the right one. The boat was easy to get into and out of, paddled easily and tracked very well. Unloading the kayak out of my pickup and carrying it to the water was no problem. I was surprised at the stability. Waterproof storage is great. I would recommend the Dirigo to anyone.

05-31-2006
Submitted by: Lee

This is a great all around boat. It has descent speed for a recreational kayak. Tracks and turns well, and is very stable. The roomy cockpit is nice for relaxing sightseeing or fishing. I use it quite a bit in local narrow rivers and it is easy to maneuver through obstacles. Love it!

05-31-2006

We just purchased two Old Town Dirigo 120's and tested them out yesterday. We love them! As soon as I was in the boat I immediately felt it's tremendous stability. Also, it's extremely comfortable. The seat can be adjusted for lumbar support as well as height, which really made for a comfortable paddle. Also, the foot pegs along with the thigh pads helped me to feel right at home. I was instantly comfortable and ready to paddle. Lots of room in these boats. My husband is 6 feet tall and had plenty of room to move around. The boat track very well, lots of control. Also, I was able to move a very good speed. Overall I could not be happier that these are the boats we purchased. I kept reading in the reviews that the Dirigo was 'slow' and 'heavy' and I don't agree at all. I wouldn't want to have to carry this boat by myself too far, true, but my husband and I found them to be easy to load and launch. Excellent boat, can't recommend it enough!

05-22-2006
Submitted by: KadoSend Email

Let me start off by saying that I'm the epitome of novice! I've only been in a kayak once before in Tacoma, WA back in 2003. I bought the Old Town Dirigo 120 this morning, and had it out on the Potamac this afternoon. I must say that it is extremely stable. It's not too fast, but it tracks very well. I'm not sure wether it was the current, the wind or my lack of experience, but any weaving was easily corrected. It was quite windy today and there was a little chop, but the boat did great. It was pretty cool haveing the waves break over the bow and the spray in my face. The Dirigo is heavy though. I don't have too much trouble carrying it, but my girlfriend says it is very heavy to her. Overall, it's a great boat for a beginner like me. I paddled around for a couple of hours and it was very comfortable. I would give it a 7 for speed and weight, a 9 for comfort, and a 10 for stability.

05-08-2006

I bought 2 Drigo kayaks end of last season both were angler kayaks. I live in Kansas and both kayaks proved to be very stable in high wind conditions, with very little if any water getting into the kayak. I purchased the 10'6 kayak and can get anywhere on the lake I want to go, mostly far away from all the boats and people. Looking forward to trips to Colorado to go to all my old fishing places.

12-28-2005

I purchased this model this past summer after getting tired of battling to put my 16' Dagger on top of the Jeep alone. I love it! Granted it is not as fast, but since I am a fair weather, recreational paddler that is fine. It is comfortable! I used to have numb feet after awhile in the Dagger, but there is room to spare in the OTC. I am looking forward to years of exploring with my newest addition!

10-22-2005

I was very impressed with this boat. Tracks nice, handled the 1 foot wind waves with no prob. First time out in it I paddled 8 miles in good wind and felt great afterwards. All the seat adjustments make a nice change up after miles of paddling.

10-15-2005

I have an old town otter but after paddling the dirigo 10.6 I bought the dirigo 12 for the comfort, tracking, dry storage and am loving it two friends just bought identical boats too.

10-09-2005
Submitted by: Joseph JozwikSend Email

For the market that they cater to I can't imagine this kayak any better. Comfy plenty of dry well storage space. 2 Beverage holders. Adjustable seats. Relatively inexpensive. I bought 2 of these and have been extremely happy with them. For the casual kayaker or beginner I donít think you can beat this model.

08-30-2005

Exceptional comfort and stability, particularly for photography.

08-02-2005

I took advantage of an L.L. Bean Paddlefest at the beach in front of the Cheasapeake Bay Foundation Headquarters near Annapolis Maryland. I tried a number of boats, including the Dirigo 10, 12, and 14. I found a lot to like about all these boats, they were extremely stable and easy to maneuver in the 1.5' swells on the bay that day. The seat was very comfortable and the built in knee pads were great. There was a generously sized dry well in the rear and a handy little dry well in the front of the cockpit, along with a usable cupholder. The handling was competent, but not very exciting. They were all a little ponderous although I disagree that they were slow. They seemed to get right along for me. I agree that these are definitely not boats for folks who cannot lift a little weight. If you had to haul these guys very far you will get some serious exercise.

06-23-2005
Submitted by: janineSend Email

After a lot of research, I decided on the Dirigo 120 for me, and the Blackwater 11.5 for my husband. The Dirigo wins on comfort and space, I love the cupholder, and the dog loves to ride with me, but there is a big difference in tracking and speed compared to the Blackwater. We are planning on doing a lot of paddling, so I am returning my Dirigo. If you want a nice stable cruiser with tons of comfort and room, the Dirigo is the one, no doubt.

06-20-2005
Submitted by: fmarSend Email

I wanted an OTC Dirigo from the first time I heard about them. I purchased my OTC Dirigo at LL Bean and it was the Angler Edition. So far I really like it. After adjusting some of my equipment to fit better (soft tackle bag vs hard tackle box, etc.) I have used my Dirigo at least 6 times. It is rugged, stable, and I really enjoy it. Even caught quite a few fish!

Down side. It is heavy and slow, slow, slow. Wish I had known about how slow it was. The weight I can handle but my wife in her Zydeco and almost everyone leaves me behind. I have never been physically taxed paddling, but I really have to work hard to keep up.

06-12-2005
Submitted by: RobertSend Email

This is a great value and performer. The kayak tracks and turns very well. It has water tight storage front and back. It also has a cup holder. The cockpit is large enough to paddle with your knees bent. The seat is very comfortable with the ability to make lumbar and back rest adjustments. This boat is a keeper after buying and returning two other models.

06-08-2005
Submitted by: mjcSend Email

I just bought one of these kayaks, and in my initial paddles on the Chesapeake Bay, I was impressed. The boat tracks well, it is comfortable, and there is plenty of storage space....dry storage in the rear and plenty of room on deck to put packs, etc. And the dry well for wallets and keys/cellphones is welcome. I also have a Perception Sierra.....and I really like it....but this boat is better.

04-26-2005

I just bought 2 of these kayaks for my son and I to use on flat Midwest water. I've paddled Pungo 12s, LiquidLogic, Loon and other boats in its class, and this one is a keeper. I love the secondary stability, while still being able to turn well. Tracking is nice and steady. It comes with a good seat and you cannot beat the standard hatch, front billfold holder and the bungy cords on deck. The cloud color is even pretty, too!