Product Reviews > Kayaks > Perception > Carolina II 17.5 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Carolina II 17.5 Kayak by Perception

07-28-2008
Submitted by: GearJunkieSend Email

I've had this boat for 4 years now and it has been through hell and back. It's been through the Colorado River 100 mile paddling race twice (the first I did the race, it took my partner and I 22 hours of straight paddling and I think we were the 1st place plastic boat in the coed category), about 100 adventure races, and tons of training runs and fun paddling outings. It's been dragged, dropped, scraped and still floats. While I'm generally happy with the boat, it's a beast. Weighing in at nearly 100 pounds, it's not easy to load on my SUV or portage. The plastic is a bit soft, which wastes some energy. The center hatch leaks and always has. The rear hatch doesn't leak even after all these years and abuse.

If you are looking for a good, stable, boat that will last through a nuclear explosion, this is your boat. It's on-par with the Necky Amaruk.

08-29-2007
Submitted by: TCRSend Email

I went kayaking for my first time a couple of weeks ago and this is the kayak they put my husband and I in.

While we did have a wonderful day trip, this kayak is horrible to paddle and is very slow. My skills are nil but when I watched the others in our group effortlessly paddle their composite's, I knew our kayak sucked more than my skills did. If you are only out for a couple of hours, I am sure this is a fine boat, but on an all day trip, this boat was insufficient.

We are going to buy a kayak, not this one though :) Doing my research online when I came across this nice website.

02-01-2005
Submitted by: Tommy FuchsSend Email

I've had the boat for about 6 months now and it has held up well. I bought the boat for the Colorado River 100 race and future adventure racing. My partner and I placed 3rd in the male tandem category as well as fastest tandem plastic. With that being said I think it is a good boat for the money. It tracks reasonably well as well as turns well with and without the rudder. My only complaint about the boat is how soft the plastic is. I think this would be a much faster boat if it were make of a harder plastic.

Rendezvous River Sports
Zoar Outdoor
Free Shipping on all New Kayaks!