Product Reviews > Canoes > Blackhawk > Combi 14.9 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Combi 14.9 Canoe by Blackhawk

Rated: 8.5/10 Based On: 2 Reviews

Canoes
Research Canoes in the Buyers' Guide!

Select Canoe to View in Buyers' Guide

08-02-2005

The Combi series are all geared towards dual tandem/solo use. I have two friends who have this boat and have spent a bit of time with it both solo and tandem. The first time I paddled this boat tandem I had just spent a week paddling 17'6" boats on an Algonquin trip. I took a look at this relatively tiny canoe and thought "I have shoes this big." I was surprised at how well this boat responded with me (210lb) in the stern and the owner (130lb) in the bow. The stern seat is almost at the middle of the boat and that helps trim the boat with two adults. Reversing paddling positions my weight brings the bow well into the water.

As a solo the canoe is as responsive as any other of Phils' hulls, just a bit wider than I like in a solo. I hope to get one of my own when I have children. This is a boat that kids can grow with. For two women this would be a hot freestyle tandem.

12-28-2004
Submitted by: TomSend Email

Unique little boat. This is Blackhawk's smaller Combi, made primarily for solo use with occasional tandem use. Paddled extensively with a buddy that had one and eventually had to have my own. Mine was fiberglass with ash and mahogany trim...and weighed too much....had to be well over 55 pounds. But - solid for sure. Like all my Blackhawks - no squeaks and super tight. This boat is a mellow solo with surprising solo capability and it may be one of my all time favorites for that perfect quiet day on a quiet pond. The boat can freestyle beautifully and the larger size seems to add stability for freestyle. Great fun. For smaller tandem teams the boat is a hot rod...I can imagine two women using this boat as the perfect tandem. Really cool boat - but not for everyone.