Product Reviews > Canoes > Hemlock Canoe Works > Kestrel Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Kestrel Canoe by Hemlock Canoe Works

Length: 14' 9" - Width: 27.5" - Starting at: $2595.00
See More Details about this Canoe
Hemlock Canoe Works Logo

07-16-2009
Submitted by: Phil EllsworthSend Email

After paddling two sophisticated solo boats (including a Jensen) for more than 30 years I decided that, due to my advancing age, I needed something lighter. After selecting Dave Curtis' Kestrel I feel like I've died and gone to heaven. It is a spectacular boat!

06-19-2009

I have used my premium layup, spruce rails 27# Kestrel long enough to write a review now. I was looking for an easy paddling, fairly seaworthy, lightweight canoe that was as insensitive to the wind as possible for lake tripping. It fulfilled all these needs well - so my 10.

It is a kneeling boat as set up and tracks fairly firmly which is an asset on windy lakes. It's glide and ease of paddling are remarkable. I had it on a windy lake and loaded for a 4 day trip it it did fine-well mannered. I planned on traveling light but I found it has more capacity than I expected(My170#+75#). It's low freeboard, which helps make it wind resistant, makes it look longer than it's actual length and graceful looking. It also caused less problem than I expected in waves. The only change I made is to raise the seat 1" for more foot room.
Dave Curtis is good to deal with and honest as they come. This boat met all my expectations.

08-07-2007

This is a great solo canoe. It is not a high capacity tripper, but for a smaller paddler and moderate gear this boat will make time. It is mildly rockered so tracking is excellent, yet it turns with a bit of edging. Secondary and primary stability is very good despite its rather narrow waterline width. The boat lends itself to traditional kneeling strokes or with the footbrace sitting is comfortable and hit and switch works well. It is quite wind resistant and is not trim sensitive. Workmanship by Dave Curtis is the best in the industry. The layup is flawless, light and strong. Having owned solos from Bell, Mad River and Swift this is truly the best. Dave will work with you on shipping and the quality product is worth the wait.

11-03-2004

As with many of the reviews on this site, I am writing about a boat I now own. Therefore, I am not altogether unbiased.

Having solo paddled a Wenonnah Solo Plus for years, it was time to reshuffle the fleet. The kids are gone, we have another tandem boat, why not get a true solo? I knew of Hemlock Boatworks, so I read through the Website carefully to learn about the current model line. As I only weigh 145 lbs, I was interested in his Kestrel, rather than the Peregrine which is built for larger, heavier paddlers.

I live fairly near Dave Curtis' operation so I went over to the park one Thursday night where he brings his boats for trial. I paddled a premium plus layup Kestrel that night, but bought the less expensive Kevlar hybrid which weighs 32.5 lbs. The boat is beautiful, with ash trim, walnut decks (scuppered to ensure the water drains) and a fine gelcoat finish. A layer of E-glass lies beneath the gelcoat, with well fitted Kevlar lining the interior. It is set up for kneeling, with a web seat set high enough for legs to go under.

Paddling was a revelation! I had never even tried heeling over one of my Wenonah boats, but that first night I found I could lean a Kestrel to the rail and spin it. It sat rock solid. While it is well rockered for manuverability, the boat can move! The first time out on my local flatwater creek, I went farther than usual, partly because the boat went faster, mostly because it was such joy to paddle.

Dave does not have a distributor network. If you don't live near the NY Finger Lakes, it will not be easy to try one of his canoes. What he does have is a well designed boat, beautifully built. I am very happy with my choice.

Paddling.net T-Shirt Sale: