Product Reviews > Canoes > Nova Craft Canoe > Haida 17' Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Haida 17' Canoe by Nova Craft Canoe

Rated: 7.67/10 Based On: 3 Reviews

Haida 17' Canoe by Nova Craft Canoe

Length: 17' 0" - Width: 36.0" - Starting at: $1499.00
See More Details about this Canoe
Nova Craft Canoe Logo

07-20-2013
Submitted by: PJMSend Email

We've owned the Haida for about 18 years. It is the heavy fibreglass model with nylon gunnels and woven gut (?) seats. We've raised two daughters and two standard poodles in this boat and tripped for weeks at a time in her. We camp heavy (comfortable) and load her to the gunnels.

Out of three boats we own, this is the one we love to death. I've carried her on my back for dozens of kilometres of portages in this time and will again next week. I'm thinking of installing a yoke this year as wrapping a towel around the thwart is getting old on my aging shoulders.

I also own a Nova Craft 'Bob' but I will always choose this one even for solo paddling. It is the most stable boat imaginable and very fast. I don't white-water by choice (but have by accident) so doubt this would be the right choice for that. I just wax it before the season, scrub the inside of spiders and she's good to go. Hope this helps you choose.

06-09-2005

Complained about every aspect of this canoe the whole first day. As responsive as a raft with its upward buckling bottom. Seats that caused serious rawness in the first 4 hours of paddling. A yoke that was not comfortable. The only positive was that the Royalex Lite seemed to take some use well.

To get any sort of glide out of this canoe you must bring along your saw and cut a couple of 3 inch logs to length so that they support the bottom of the canoe to keep its shape.

Definitely a must avoid canoe for the next serious 4 day trip in the back country.

10-05-2004
Submitted by: JMSend Email

Just finished my first season with my new Haida canoe, and I'm very impressed. I purchased the canoe in the new Blue Steel material, which is a Carbon Fiber/Kevlar/Spectra composite. I highly recommend spending the extra bucks for this material. The canoe weights in at only 50 pounds (I added the optional skid plates which add about 5 pounds), and the resulting lightness, rigidity and strength, not to mention beauty, are well worth it.

As one of the few canoe designs (from any manufacturer) with a flat bottom, this is easily the most stable canoe I've ever tried, so it's perfect for a family with a 22 month old! The straight keel and 17' length also contribute to the stability. I was surprised, however, at the maneuverability - not as easy to turn as shorter canoes with a more pronounced rocker, but quite good nevertheless. I'm sure I wouldn't have trouble in any kind of water. Due to the lightness of the canoe, the wind definitely affects the tracking when it's lightly loaded, but I found it very manageable, even in the stiff breezes on the inland lake that I spent time on.

The asymmetrical design and rigidity of the material make for a very fast canoe. I had test-paddled both the Tripper and Prospector before trying the Haida, and was surprised when the Haida beat both designs in stability and speed (it's maneuverability that suffers with this design, but as I said, it's a very fair trade for me).

I purchased my canoe with the optional wood (ash) trim. Against the blue/black hull material, this makes for the most beautiful canoe you'll set eyes on (not especially important, I know, but a nice bonus). The wood trim does require additional maintenance (periodic oiling), but it's not a big deal unless you use the canoe every day. The yoke, as advertised, truly is comfortable without any padding. Due to a recent shoulder injury, though, I also purchased the yoke pad, but found it unnecessary except for longer portages.

Finally, the people at Nova Craft were wonderful to work with. I bought the canoe directly from them - they custom built the canoe on pretty short notice, and allowed me a chance to try the final product out before committing to the purchase. I even received email photos of the canoe in production the week before I went to pick it up. These are people that are dedicated to producing an excellent product for a fair price, and they work hard to bring you back for future business. I highly recommend them, and the Haida.

Vasa, Inc.: