Product Reviews > Accessories > Washburne Sternwheels Kayak Cart Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Washburne Sternwheels Kayak Cart

Research Carts, Portaging & Launching in the Buyers' Guide!
Carts, Portaging & Launching
View Carts, Portaging & Launching in Buyers' Guide

06-13-2008
Submitted by: EMSend Email

I just got this product but had no trouble using it, even over rough terrain, without the wheels falling off. I used two bungee cords and attached the axle to the cockpit with them. Voila! As the cheapest product I could find to wheel my kayak around, I am very pleased with it. Also pleased because it will fit in the hatch for use in portaging.

01-02-2006
Submitted by: MJSend Email

I like the stern wheels as I am able to load my boat onto my safari van from behind and keep the wheels on. I have got around the "keeping the wheels on" problem by tying a rope around the cockpit as suggested in the instructions. I would like to have been able to make the "vee" a bit narrower so that I could easily have the wheels as far back as possible, but I have been able to get around this using foam. Several of my kayaking buddies here in Victoria have them and are happy with them.

10-02-2004

This is a set of stern wheels for carting your kayak around when you don't want to carry it. For a $60 product, this is absolutely horrible. It has one strap on top and no matter how you tighten it, it will not hold the wheels to the kayak and it will cause the wheels to slip out from under your boat and your resulting bare hull hitting the ground. The instructions suggest using a line on top of the strap to create tension and either hold or tie this line to the bow of the boat. This barely works and the wheels still fall off. This is probably due to its deep V-shape, inflexible frame, and horrible single strap. More than the product not working as it's supposed to, I am most disappointed with the scratches on my hull when my kayak hit the floor. Since I used this product, I couldn't return it, but I sold it online as soon as I could grab my mouse!