Product Reviews > Kayaks > ClearWater Design > Manitoulin Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Manitoulin Kayak by ClearWater Design

07-02-2007

I use this inexpensive kayak on Lake Ontario. It's good for the price, but it does not handle well when going with the wind. I'd prefer a bigger, lighter yak, but this does the job.
If you have the money, pass on this one and get something better.

07-10-2006
Submitted by: Lyd201Send Email

I got this as a cheap boat to lock up outside my apartment. It is great for day paddling and getting used to a kayak. It does not do at all well with a following wind or going across the swells of the Chesapeake. Into the wind or on flat water it is fine. It is great stability wise, easy to turn and I can keep up with other more expensive and longer boats in terms of speed. It is fine for poking along streams and over Class I rapids. I've not tried it for anything more. I had to get out the silicone to make the front hatch waterproof. The air cushion seat broke the first usage but it really wasn't needed. It has a high clearance so that water doesn't get into the boat (even when fighting with the swells.) Nice boat, cheap. You get your money's worth.

09-06-2005
Submitted by: eric snapeSend Email

Iíve had the boat a couple of weeks. I find the cockpit a little short. The rear bulk head leaks. Foot pedals where super stiff, they worked fine once I sprayed them with silicone. I find the boat very heavy. Stable, tough, good looking, great value.

02-01-2005
Submitted by: ShebaMaruSend Email

I really like the boat. It's my first 'yak and the storage compartments are excellent on it, plenty of leg room. Its weight seems more than the 45-ish pounds advertised at, but that might be because of its length making it an awkward item to carry if you're not used to it. Definitely hard for someone of 5'2" to lift up and onto an SUV by oneself. Deck rigging is good, cockpit cover from manufacturer not so good - doesn't stay on the cockpit. Easy enough to get in and out of and glides well though shaky in slightly rough water. It is perfect for the beginner.

09-24-2004

Easy to transport. (Rudder is option) Front and rear bulkheads. Feels heavier than 48 pounds mentioned in manual. New for 2004. Tracks well into or angling into the wind. Going with the wind it does not track well unless you install skeg/rudder. Stability very good. It is an excellent kayak for day trips (Dry storage is limited.) I found it, with skeg up, really enjoyable on small rivers as it is very maneuverable due to no rocker. Real value for money!