Product Reviews > Kayaks > Pakboats > Puffin II Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Puffin II Kayak by Pakboats

Rated: 9.25/10 Based On: 4 Reviews

Kayaks Image Kayaks Image Kayaks Image Kayaks Image

09-10-2012
Submitted by: KeithSend Email

I've had my Puffin II for over 6 years. Although there are some quirks in the setting-up, these are mainly caused by the Chinese manufacture - I've got used to them! She is a great load carrier - I have kayak-camped several times, taken the bag ob trains & buses, and everywhere I set up, people gather round in fascination.

My boat also takes 2 - my wife & myself, for floating picnics on the waterways and rivers of Britain. I did have some problems with air leakage, but I found Pakboats Alv Elvestad very helpful in sorting out problems. Recently I undertook a 2-day marathon, a report of which, with pics, can be seen on www.truman-enterprise.org.uk. Now I'm getting on in years, I shall have to switch to canoes, but I can thoroughly recommend the Puffins - they are great on price, weight and usability

07-30-2007
Submitted by: JASSend Email

I recently bought a Puffin II to use as a center hull in a trimaran sail rig. I bought it mainly because of the light weight (26 pounds), not so much because it can be taken apart. It took me over an hour to put it together the first time, so I'm glad that I won't have to do it more than once a season.

I don't think that there is another 14 foot kayak or canoe (in any material) that is as light as this and it is really amazing to load it on my rack after struggling with 65 pound sea kayak hulls. It is just in a whole different league when it comes to weight.

As far as paddling goes, it doesn't track very well and isn't very fast compared to a 14 foot hardshell boat. It's really for rec paddling for two people who want to travel with their boat in a duffle bag. I set it up as a single and since I'm 6'4 and 220 pounds, it doesn't seem at all large for me. The stock inflatable seats are comfortable, however they have a fairly low back.

If you are looking for a sleek, shapely boat, this isn't it, as the hull is a bit lumpy to my eye when the inflatable side tubes are pressurized. The engineering of the boat is clever and the quality of the fit and finish is good, although it isn't a Feathercraft in that regard. The bottom material looks to be very rugged and can probably stand a lot of abuse. The topsides are a thinner material that helps keep the weight down.

Overall, this boat does what it is advertised to do and does it well at a price that's competitive with rotomolded hulls of the same size. You can't beat the light weight and small storage when folded.

05-27-2005

My wife and I bought a Puffin 12 footer last February and were so impressed we ordered a Puffin II from Peter at Klepper West. Well it finally got here in later May. The skin of the boat is a heavy duty type hypalon similar to white water rafts. The frame is shock corded and takes about 20 minutes to fully assemble.

It is a great boat. I bought it for fishing and camping and itís better than that. I have WS Pungo 120, which is a great boat, but the Puffin II is more fun to paddle, sits higher and is very quick. It does not track as well as a keeled boat, but it paddled very well on Lake Solano below Lake Berryessa and I am looking forward to taking it to the high sierras next week. The boat is so light, I had a 2 pound trout pull me downsteam for about 3 minutes. It was worth the wait. I am planning to buy one of the folding canoes next year. A little money for a lot of fun.

09-09-2004
Submitted by: BethSend Email

This is a folding kayak, for recreational use ($800). It comes in a bag that is about 34" long, by 18" by 18" (or close to that). It takes me about 30 minutes to put together, and I've put it together 4-5 times and don't think it's going to get much faster, at least for me. It takes about 10 minutes to tear down. The boat is 26 pounds, and according to the literature, can handle about 400 pounds. It is made of shock corded aluminum poles, some (4?) shaped ribs, and heavy-duty coated nylon. Everything seems to be quite durable. Between the ribs and the outside walls are sponsons. Everything you need to put the boat together is included in the package.

Once I got my boat together and on the water, everything worked fine. It doesn't track as well as my hard shell boats (Wilderness System Pungo and Current Designs Storm), nor is it as fast, but it was still a lot of fun to paddle. And, because it fits in the trunk of the car, and only weighs 26 pounds, I can get it to locations that I wouldn't carry my other boats.

It is not meant for heavy waves. The Puffin II can work for one person or two. There is an optional spray deck ($225), which I didn't choose to buy, so mine actually is open like a canoe, but I still sit on the bottom, on an inflatable seat. It's certainly the most comfortable of my boats.

Piragis Northwoods Company
Free Shipping on New Canoes from Piragis Northwoods Company or pick up in Ely, MN and get $100 off

Katadyn: