Product Reviews > Kayaks > Pelican International > Viper Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Viper Kayak by Pelican International

Rated: 6.42/10 Based On: 12 Reviews

07-02-2014
Submitted by: RLCSend Email

I received a Viper for Christmas. It is made of a thin poly material. After the first use it had deep noticeable scratches from the gravel bottom during launch and land. So don't expect this to last very long. I have experience with canoes. But this is my first yak. It is very stable. The intention for it was for fishing local ponds. So I like that. But it is so flat on the bottom it paddles like a barge. I was really hoping for something more. The seat isn't very comfortable for long periods either. I'm still a canoe person. But this will have to do till I can get a nice solo canoe.

06-17-2014
Submitted by: FrancoisSend Email

I love it, particularly that it's unsinkable. Of course they said that about the Titanic... My one problem is that I lost the rudder. It gets easily knocked off and have not been able to find a replacement.

07-30-2008
Submitted by: JudySend Email

3 years later (see my review from 2005)...
I am still using my Viper... just got in off the White River and Sylamore Creek. Still using it, still happy with it, no complaints or problems... I have improved greatly even though I do not have enough time to kayak as much I would like... Have definitely gotten my money's worth and much happiness from this Kayak.

07-02-2008
Submitted by: DougSend Email

I bought 2 Vipers and each of them, within 15 minutes of use, "caved in" behind the seat. I heard a pop and the seat area dropped a few inches (note - they are rated at 250 pounds and I weigh 175). I contacted Viper and they were unaware of such a problem. I took them back to Sports Authority (where I bought them) and they had already had 3 others returned for the same reason. I then bought 2 Ocean Kayak Frenzy's, and like them much better!

06-26-2008
Submitted by: NancySend Email

I have borrowed Ocean brand kayaks and mainstream brand kayaks as well as rented Malibu kayaks and I still prefer my inexpensive Viper. However it is molded under the legs and in the seating, even with the basic seat backs it came with I get good back support. Speed is not my main focus but touring is. I have taken this off the beach, in the intracoastal, and through the Everglades. Just need to use the skeg to stay on course. Three years of frequent wavy wakish paddling and my skeg has stayed in place, but just in case I did drill a hole in the top of the skeg to shoelace it to my boat in the event of it coming loose which it has not. I am always grateful we bought matching Vipers. We are usually the first kayakers on the scene to get our boats unloaded and later loaded onto our vehicle. I find these boats comfortable stable and fuss free to lift and load. To carry items you need to be creative, but it's a nice ride.

06-04-2007

My Viper isn't fast or used for all-day trips, but it's a great play boat on small lakes and slow streams. I mostly use it for leisurely paddling about or having super soaker water gun battles at the lake. The seat is comfortable and water bottles are secure in the well. I've experience no problems with the skeg, either. Wind makes the Viper a challenge to stay on course, and the included paddle is cumbersome. My Harmony Adventure paddle was a huge improvement. For a play boat and the price, it's a decent buy. For a more serious kayaking on lakes and streams, I'd choose a Wilderness System Tarpon (sit-on-top) or a Dagger Blackwater (recreational).

04-06-2007
Submitted by: DjboutiSend Email

First kayak a few years back. It led to my current Scrambler and my Tarpon 14. The most stable of my fleet but REALLY the slowest with very little glide. The only one I'll even try to stand up in. I've used it in lakes and cruised through a lot of big boat wakes in the intracoastal. Dress to get wet because water does come over the bow in any waves. Don't get confused, it is nothing compared to my other kayaks but is really a nice boat for the $$ IF it is what you want, that is a beginner kayak that you won't lose your shirt on if you decide kayaking is not for you.

10-22-2006

This being my very first kayak, I didn't really know what to expect. That being said, I learned quickly what happens when the skeg is not in place. (You do a lot of circles in the water). Once I got over being nervous however, I came to enjoy paddling it. I did have to work at keeping it going, because it stopped as soon as I stopped paddling, and took some effort to get moving again. It was a great starter kayak for me, but I only had it for a couple of months before I knew I wanted to 'move on'. I now have a Wilderness Pungo 120, and wouldn't trade it for anything.

08-24-2006
Submitted by: JasonSend Email

This is possibly the worst kayak ever made. It was the first kayak I bought due to not reading the reviews first. It was bought only to run shark lines out off the beach. It would of been less work to swim. Very unstable and definately not worth the money.

07-03-2006

I have owned other sit on tops and I paid just $250 for my new viper at Sports Authority (not online) and it included a fairly decent paddle and a seat. There were indentations on the hull for hardware for equipment storage but no hardware. The skeg was included but I had to use a hammer to attach it and there is some worry about how secure it is in there. I like that it is light enough for me to load and unload from my SUV. In the past I struggled with loading heavier models alone. It tracks very well which I attribute to the skeg (hope I don't lose it). It rides very well above the water. It is self bailing like previous models I have had but I am a medium size woman and I have not had much water inside even on choppy water days on the bay. The drink holder fills up. It can be a little tippy when the sea or rivers are rough but It is a mild challenge which I enjoy. It's being light weight is something I consider a plus that outweighs other concerns. While I want a sit-in-side with more storage, better speed and other features, I do not plan to get rid of my Viper. This little model is easy to store and great to have for family, friends and myself. It is an affordable way to get out on the water.

06-12-2005
Submitted by: JudySend Email

This is an update on the above review.
I took my Viper out on the White River yesterday for a 4 hours ride. I am in the Ozarks in Arkansas. Slow with no white water. I would still consider myself a beginner. It handled well and I never had a problem. I could have used more current so I had to paddle the entire way. I took a lot of boat wakes, went around rocks and trees. It actually handled well. It really built my confidence in myself and this kayak.

It tracks well now due to the skeg I have pounded in and I drilled a hole in it and attached it to a leash so I cannot lose it. I have 2 extra at home. It definitely needs that to track well.

I am feeling better about this Pelican. I was comfortable in it the entire way. I also like I can lift it and move it by myself. I am 51 and female and I am usually by myself kayaking so that helps. As I take it into different waters this summer I will let you know how it goes.

08-20-2004

I am fairly new at this but have used Ocean Kayaks on Mobile Bay.I used a Prowler and a Malibu 2. Loved them both. I have had this Viper in the White River and on Greers Ferry Lake in Arkansas this week. It felt very tippy at first but I did not notice it the 2nd time I took it out. Tracking was not good until I put the Skag in and that kept falling out. I knew each time by the way the kayak behaved that it had came out. It kept trying to turn around. Skeg or skag sp? alls I know it really needs that. I have not been in it enough yet to give a proper review and I am inexperienced. My enjoyment certainly was not instant like when I used the Ocean Kayaks. This was a lot more work which certainly did not hurt me. I know I need to improve my paddling skills. It is comfortable to sit in and easy to carry and load on top of my SUV.It's weight is 37 pounds. The price was right maybe? Time will tell on that. $290 is all I paid. I would be willing to pay a lot more for what I want. It came with a seat but I had to purchase the paddle and skeg. I will let you know as time passes how well I like it. I cannot say it enough, paddle before you buy if possible. Read reviews. I could not find a review anywhere on this one. Hope this helps.

Rendezvous River Sports