Product Reviews > Kayaks > Futura Surf Skis > Tandem Sport Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Tandem Sport Kayak by Futura Surf Skis

01-10-2005
Submitted by: Mitch Barnes

Futura Tandem Sport at 20' and 45#, the carbon fiber version, is a very fast step-up for recreational paddlers. The speed has doubled our range compared to our 14' rotomolded tandem. The bow controlled rudder is easily learned and very responsive. After four 2 hour tours, it is already our favorite boat upwind and downwind on N.C. estuaries. The reaches (sidewind) are a bit wet on this wave piercer but the reduced windage enhances overall performance and the low side walls make for a very easy self rescue. The length and very light weight make loading on overhead racks a dream. We're really looking forward to trying the Tandem Sport on Atlantic swells this spring!

07-28-2004

The Futura Tandem Surf Ski is a beautiful boat - the fit and finish are as good as it gets. We get compliments on it all the time. There is a real pride of ownership with such a nice fiberglass boat. We also have three plastic single kayaks, and this one is the most fun by far - it is an incredible rush to paddle.

We have had this boat for about a year, and we have paddled in all kinds of conditions, including lakes, rivers, and rough ocean water. When I was first deciding whether to buy it, I was concerned about its stability in rough water. But after I got the boat and paddled around for a while my concern disappeared. At first the boat seemed a little tippy, but when you paddle it around you notice it has good secondary stability. When you are underway with your paddle in the water the boat feels solid underneath you, and it tracks extremely well. And it is very, very fast. My wife and I are both in our 50ís and in pretty good shape, and when we are paddling hard we just blow by almost all other paddlers. Another nice thing is that you can easily paddle it solo in the front seat, and it is still very fast.

The drawbacks are negligible. Because the profile is low, the ride in the back seat can get a little wet. But hey, itís a surf ski, and it feels good when itís hot. The advantage to the low profile is that it is more stable, and if you ever roll off to go swimming it is very easy to get back on. Just throw yourself across the boat and swing your leg over. It takes less than five seconds to get back in the seat.

Vince Darwood at Futura is a dream to work with. We had some trouble with the trucking company billing for delivery, but Vince made everything all right. He is also very helpful with any questions we have had about the boat. I highly recommend Futura!