Product Reviews > Kayaks > Futura Surf Skis > S1-X Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for S1-X Kayak by Futura Surf Skis

Rated: 9.71/10 Based On: 7 Reviews

01-09-2006
Submitted by: Jim

I purchased a Futura S1-X about a year and a half ago. I have had it in open ocean, lakes, rivers and storms and it handles whatever mother nature has to offer. If your a weekend warrior or a competitive racer you will be proud of the workmanship and performance of the Futura S1-X.

12-14-2004

If you read my review of the Futura Blade I mentioned that we wanted a second Futura for my wife well we received our new S1-X kevelar/carbon just a few weeks ago. As we live out of the country we had a overseas shipper damage the boat, so with the help of Vince Darwood from Futura we were able to make a invisible repair that's left the vessel like new again. It was interesting to get a better look at the quality Vince's crew puts into building this craft, and as a Marine engineer I was very impressed as were my fiberglass tech's here.

After that it's been in the water most every day as the companion boat to My Futura blade. The S1-X is very, very fast and the stability for my wife has not been an issue. Last weekend I was allowed to take her boat for a little test spin....Wow fast, but the seat is much deeper then the Blade and even though I'm only 165# I had to pad my butt up about 2" so my hip bones wouldn't jam on the sides of the seat well....ouch! The boat was still very stable even with the padding and I managed to beat my best flat water times.

Overall this is a great boat and very well built, Vince is a great guy to work with that has bent over backwards for us several times and always delivers.

11-09-2004
Submitted by: MilesSend Email

I'm very impressed with my new S1-X (carbon/kevlar lay-up). I wanted a boat that was fast enough to compete seriously in solo adventure races, but stable enough that I could actually paddle it! Having paddled a few other surf-skis I was expecting a learning curve for this boat of weeks or months. However, within 5 minutes of jumping in for the first time I was able to put down full power and also keep up with my buddy in his much tippier Futura Inferno. The S1-X feels a little tippy when you first get into it, but you soon get used to that, and realize that the secondary stability is great. The S1-X tracks very well, and turns quickly. Our season up here in Alberta is over here for this year (too much ice on the lakes and rivers now), but I can't wait to get out and race this machine next year.

11-07-2004
Submitted by: DaveB.Send Email

Finally, a boat with the capability of elite speed minus the tippiness that always seems to go hand-in-hand. I have modest balance skills and was able to aggressively power this boat after just a couple hours of practice. Initial and secondary stability are much higher than you would imagine for a boat of these dimensions. Working up to the BIG water will still take some time but I know it will happen sooner rather than later. The deep seat-well allows those who can manage to pad up and take advantage of higher leverage. A brilliant design and beautifully made. 21 long, 17 wide and 25 lbs. (in carbon, kevlar and foam core). Very stiff and light. The S-1X tracks very nicely, rudder response is very good and rudder cables are never in the way. Hatches allow internal bladder storage a real luxury. Highly recommended!

11-07-2004
Submitted by: RCSend Email

The S1-X has become "the" surfski for those looking for serious flat water speed and the ability to race and play in weather and waves of almost any difficulty. At 21' long and 17" wide this is a very fast boat that really performs when the water gets tricky. It is also surprisingly stable relative to some of the other well known speedy surfskis - makes for a much easier learning curve! Despite its length the S1-X can be quickly accelerated from a standing start. The S1-X is a very light 22 - 24 lbs with the boat only available with a foam core carbon-fibre lay-up. Futura's S1-X has beautiful construction with excellent finishing. This should be a favourite for a long time!

11-02-2004

I'm ready to paddle 267 miles! Seriously, I recieved my SX-1 just in time for the weather to get lousy. Poor planning on my part. I was able to spend the better part of an hour in the boat. It is very paddleable (is that a word). Even after a short time, I can see that with a little time I'll be just fine. If you've been paddling a "rec" boat, and want to improve your paddling skills, this would be a great boat for you. One of the nice benifits of having a boat that is this light (approx 35 lbs.) is that it's a dream to load and unload. The flames on the bow and stern are sweet too!

07-20-2004
Submitted by: Tim BurkeSend Email

I am now with a couple of months experience on my S1-X, my first surfski. I will never go back to a sea kayak. I have been able to go from not being able to get my feet in the foot wells on flat water to feeling confident in 25knot winds and 4 foot waves on the Chesapeake Bay. I cannot tell you how cool it is to pass sail boats on the bay in a paddle craft.

I have started to compete in some local OC1 races that allow surfskis and have my sights on the US championships next year. Wish me luck!