Product Reviews > Canoes > We-no-nah Canoe > Fisherman Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Fisherman Canoe by We-no-nah Canoe

Rated: 8.88/10 Based On: 8 Reviews

Canoes
Research Canoes in the Buyers' Guide!

Select Canoe to View in Buyers' Guide

12-18-2012
Submitted by: MGBSend Email

We bought a 1997 kevlar natural Fisherman with wood gunnels in 2011. Coming from rec kayaks, we were looking for a boat to allow my wife to go out with the dogs, either with me or by herself, or accompanied by me in a kayak.

First, the weight is fabulous! with the wood rails, at 38lbs, its lighter than our kayaks. The kevlar is quite durable, taking only minor scratches so far on our sandy and sometimes rocky Florida rivers. It carries a ton of gear, and seems to like being loaded down. This year I mounted a electric trolling motor to the stern, bought a cheap used battery, and have had even more fun! Two dogs, 3 people, and towing 3 other kayaks in the holiday boat parade. What a blast!
Downsides: Does not like the wind, especially when solo. You definitely need some ballast up forward when solo. Otherwise, its pretty tippy.

09-04-2012

I have the kevlar version, at about 36 pounds, so it is a pleasure to portage. Whether tandem or solo, this canoe paddles surprisingly well, and has good glide. If solo and using the bow seat with the canoe reversed, about 20 pounds in the front will trim it well, and if using a kayak paddle, it performs surprisingly good. The kevlar pointed bow and stern ends are an asset for efficiency.

My biggest surprise is the canoe's seaworthiness. I feel more comfortable in this canoe than I have in my other flatwater canoes, especially when in wind and waves. There is something somewhat mystical about seeing the water passing underneath, through the natural kevlar.
It is a winner!

05-03-2010
Submitted by: RodSend Email

I considered many different things before purchasing this canoe. I love to fish so I wanted a canoe that was lightweight, stable and wide, but also want something that tracked okay. Wishful thinking, right? Well, I got two out of three. But that was somewhat to be expected. Today was first voyage and it was surprising fast. I stood up a few times and immediately noticed it was superior in stability to any canoe I have ever been in. Heck at 40" wide, how could it not be. You would be hard pressed to roll it. I was quite pleased for the first hour and then the winds started. I did quite a few twirls throughout the day. I had expected this and look forward to a day that is a little more calm. Getting in and out of the water by myself was a breeze and the trade-off for tracking is that it will turn on a dime.

Overall I am pleased with the purchase and would recommend it to others. Just know that if it is windy, you may struggle a little if you are solo.

11-21-2008

This is a great boat for stability. It tracks OK, but due to its width and short length, it does "fish" a lot. My 105 pound Labrador up front is great ballast. I tested it out all summer with him in it, no overturns, though there was a time I jumped out certain it would happen in class III rapids, and I kept the boat upright holding onto the side. Now, in duck hunting season, even though the dog has jumped out of this boat without uprighting me, I let some ducks go by. It was frightening enough in warm water, and I just don't want to risk it in the ice.

It's more stable than your usual canoe. I'm not going to shoot out of it with this dog, because I know he will knock himself out to get the bird, and maybe me as well. The tests in warm water were very encouraging, but not enough to risk death in cold weather conditions. Smaller dog or bigger boat for that!

11-01-2008

I've lived with my royalex Fisherman for almost a year now and have decided that it's one boat in my "musical used boat trials" that I will keep. I think the Wenonah Fisherman is sort of a "sleeper". Although they market it as a fishing and photography platform, it actually is quite pleasant to paddle or pole just for fun.

Although it is slow compared to the average width canoe, it paddles easier than other boats in it's class (flat-bottom rec canoe) - notably (since I have one to compare), the 16' OT Camper. It tracks well when paddled tandem and not bad solo either if you do your part, while still quite easy to turn.

Wenonah advertises this boat as "relatively flat bottom", and I would put emphasis on the "relatively". It doesn't handle entirely like a flat-bottom but it does have a very shallow draft and lots of initial stability. Rocker is minimal (listed as 1.25") but it is definitely there. What you get is a very stable boat - easy to stand in even on moving water - but very maneuverable and easy to paddle, although not with a lot of speed or glide.

I have taken this boat down river through 1 foot and larger wave trains with surprising ease. It is a darn good poling canoe for shallow and twisty streams. It's shallow draft, exceptional maneuverability and surprising secondary stability make easy work in such conditions - so long as the current isn't too pushy. Upstream tracking is a bit lacking when compared to my Penobscot, but one can compensate in suitable flows by resisting the urge to advance too quickly.

I mention the Fisherman's secondary stability because Wenonah only talks about it's primary stability (which it has in spades). While it's not the boat to go around standing on it's gunwales, I can easily and predictably balance it high on one side (due, I believe, to it's soft chine) to carve aggressive turns, quickly side slip or negotiate a narrow passage while standing with my pole.

This is not a boat to cover large distances on lakes or for anything above easier class II. It is easily pushed about by a stiff wind (though not as easily as my Camper 16). But if you expect to spend a lot of time on tight-twisting channels in not-so-pushy water or extremely shallow water - the Fisherman just might be what you want.

I give it a 9, because although I think it's a good design and Wenonah does a great job of putting it together, and even though the Fisherman in royalex is pretty easy to carry as it is, I would like to see them use a contoured carrying thwart like those on Nova-Craft canoes.

01-17-2007

I purchased a Camo Fisherman in Royalex for my son and I to hunt and fish out of this past summer. I have yet to find one thing about the Fisherman that I don't absolutely love. We use it mainly for day trips but we have made one three night trip with it, and with a little creative loading of our gear we had plenty of room.

01-21-2005

We moved from a 16 ft fiberglass canoe to the We-No-Nah 14 ft hence we were a little apprehensive about downsizing. This little canoe with its wide beam handles beautifully in rough or smooth water and is very stable. We carry a water bag up front to balance the bow (my wife is lighter than I) and keep it down and it cuts the waves nicely. Its super lightweight (Royalex) makes it extra easy to handle out of water. Royalex is quiet, strong and light. If there is a drawback - Royal creases and dents in gravel quite easily and the bottom soon shows the scars. Would we buy one again, you bet.

07-01-2004

I bought this boat so that my wife and I could go for the occaisonal tandem outing and I could go fishing solo on small lakes. It has exceptional initial stability-as a solo I can step right into it off a dock without grabbing the gunwales. I put a center seat in it and use a kayak paddle for fishing. It actually tracks fairly well for such a wide boat (39 inch beam) and if you don't need to go fast, it paddles quite nicely. It is an excellent compromise if you want to both fish and pleasure paddle at a leisurely pace. If you are interested in a roomy, comfortable canoe for small lakes and streams you probably can't beat this-especially considering the solo capabilities. Our Royalex version only weighs 57 pounds and it paddles like a dream for the intended purposes. It's not fast, but it is very manueverable and easy to live with.

Piragis Northwoods Company
Free Shipping on New Canoes from Piragis Northwoods Company or pick up in Ely, MN and get $100 off