Product Reviews > Kayaks > OT Sport > Rush Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Rush Kayak by OT Sport

Rated: 9.65/10 Based On: 17 Reviews

11-20-2006
Submitted by: kayak mikeSend Email

I bought a rush at Bass Pro Shops and I have paddled alot of good kayaks but this kayak does it all . I have had it in class 3 whitewater, calm rivers ,and lakes it is easy to load. I highly recommend this yak yo anyone, so "RUSH" out and get one!

05-01-2006

This was my first boat. I bought it the last week of Aug 2005, but in SW Minnesota I could only use it a month or so before It got too cold for me. It's really lightweight, stable, and turns very well. This is only 9.5 feet, so it stored in the trunk of my 98 Dodge Intrepid with the back seats down. Slid right in and the trunk lid held it secure. So, talk about easy to lug around!

They usually come with a decent spray skirt too. So if you're a beginner this is a great boat. Pros: Light, very stable, roomy cockpit, footpegs, plenty of deck bungie cables, sporty looking design, and free spray skirt!

Cons: Not made for speed, kinda fat so the wind takes it easily, and makes straight-line paddling tought.

Bottom line: Good for beginners, kids, and teens. You get a lot for your money. The only reason I sold it was because I loved kayaking so much that I bought a Necky Zoar Sport. Upgraded, otherwise I would have kept the Rush. Plus, they're pretty inexpensive, so I would just kept it to be a dumbass and flip it, slide down banks, kayak down flooded city streets (guilty once already), and probably just wrecked it being stupid, lol! Come to think of it, why did I sell it?!

04-27-2006
Submitted by: AdamSend Email

I a purchased a Rush about 10 months ago and have had many great times. I have been on lakes, ponds, and some fast flowing creeks and it handles great. I have actually been looking into getting a new kayak, but reading this made me realize how great a kayak it is. Get a Rush they are great.

04-21-2006

My first kayak.. I know nothing.. but did some research and found out I needed a 2000 dollar kayak... only having $330 I bought the rush.. I know that if I paddled the high grade kayak the rush would not compare... but the damn thing is a lot of fun and is comfortable and stable and light and good looking... not a lot of bells and whistles.. but deck bungees, foot pegs, and a little storage space and I am ready to explore a fairly large lake for a good long weekend...

If you don't have big money.. get the Rush... I am as big of a person that needs to own one (6-2 195) but I am comfortable in it and I am sure a smaller person would be more suited but I have had no problems...Get a Rush

11-08-2005
Submitted by: PSend Email

I just got the Rush a couple of days ago and I took it out on the St. Johns River. It was very fast tracked well and was easy to manipulate. It even performed well going against current I have looked at many kayaks in its class including the clearwater nunu and the pelican wave and pursuit 11 fade and still like the Rush the best good buy.

07-08-2005
Submitted by: Matt StormSend Email

A friend of mine and I both bought OT Otter Sports (the same thing as a Rush. It is just called an otter sport when you buy it from Dicks sporting goods). We both used ours the day we bought them. We were both very pleased. My friendís seems to let in water from the front and back handle holes. This should be an easy fix. The back cargo area is a little hard to get to since the seat only folds so far. Other than those two things the boat seems to be a very good buy. We both purchased ours on sale for $299. The day we bought them we took them on a two day trip down the Kansas River. The Kayaks did very well. For sure a good buy.

04-25-2005
Submitted by: SteveSend Email

Purchased the "new" 2005 Rush. Only difference I can see is bungy cords on both decks. Second kayak I have owned. I added a sealed deck compartment to keep my camera in. Like all the others, it tracks very well, very stable, especially secondary stability. Light weight. I love it. Only thing I changed was the plastic cleat for the paddle on the side. I kept hitting it when I paddled. I paddle on a river and some in Lake Erie. Handles all well.

03-30-2005
Submitted by: KESSend Email

The Rush is the same kayak as the "new" Otter design sold at Dick's Sporting Goods but it also has deck bungees and has a Rush logo instead of an Otter logo. Anyway, this kayak is a good deal. It tracks well and is pretty stable and it has a visually appealing style. It has a lot of good, flat surfaces for accessories like fishing rod holders, anchor cleats, etc. I recommend this boat to novices and anyone.

03-22-2005
Submitted by: P MSend Email

Had my Rush for 6 weeks on creeks and lakes. It is very stable, tracks well and is an extremely good value.

12-01-2004
Submitted by: AaronSend Email

This boat is by far the best kayak I have ever been in. It has great comfort, tracking, handling, weight, design, and affordability (575cdn). Iíve had this boat for one summer. I live right beside a river so I have no problem getting out, which is why I have no idea how many times Iíve been out.

One of the few problems I have with it is that when you paddle really hard the back end bobs up and down slowing you down, which is really bad if youíre caught in a thunder storm. Itís also really hard to get some things behind the seat which can be a problem if you go camping. It scrapes really easy on the bottom but nothing serious. I would recommend, and have recommended, this boat to anyone.

11-04-2004

I've had an OT Rush for a full summer of wild water and it's been a lot of fun. It's light enough for me to carry, tracks great, and is a very dependable rec boat. I've had her out in fast-moving rivers and creeks. When it flooded, she moved in and out of nature-made obstacle courses like a dream. I've already lost one 1/2 skirt from my husband dumping the boat, but you can order them from OT (the customer service people are great!).

My one complaint about the boat is the small entry. My husband's rec boat has a larger entry where he can stand up in the boat, and I do wish I could do that more easily in the Rush...this would be especially nice when we're exploring islands (and want to get in and out numerous times) or trying to exit the boat in "iffy" territory. This would probably limit the viability of the 1/2 skirt and is a minor issue compared to the fun and ease this boat offers.

09-28-2004

I was in a hurry to get a kayak and bought the Rush because of brand name and appearance without knowing anything about kayaks. Being a bigger fellow, I should have gone for a longer boat with more weight varrying ability. My Rush rides a little low in the water but I am extre,ely happy with it except when it swamps. I have not learned to roll it, don't think it would roll well. I always end up going to a place I can stand up and lift it to empty the water out. The boat itself is great in every way.

08-03-2004

I love this boat! I just got back from a 2 day trip on the Saco River and I had a wonderful time. The Rush was extreamly comfortable (even with my bum knees) and I was able to carry all my camping gear (sleeping bag, tent, 3 dry bags) either by tieing it up with teh deck straps or inside. I am a beginner paddler and this was my 3rd time out on my kayak. I plan to have many more soon!

07-21-2004

I recently purchased 2 OT Rush kayaks and they are very stable, reasonably priced, fast, tracks well, manuevers easily and looks great. My 11-year-old handles hers like a charm and quickly gained confidence on the first trip out.

Stability: Handles very well on lakes, especially in choppy water with no problem. You would have to work hard to turn the yak over. The adjustable foot braces are a definite plus in stability.
Speed: It does not require much effort and covers a lot of water quickly.
Tracking: Tracks like it's on rails. Very graceful and glides quite well.
Manuever: Quick to manuever. I did a 180 in a narrow stream with minimal effort.
Fit and Finish: I did scrape up the bottom the first time out but was totally my fault as I launched from a concrete boat ramp. Mud cleans easily from the seat, interior and exterior. The cockpit is easy to enter/exit and the seat is very comfortable, especially if wear a PFD with a high back.
Cargo capacity: Love the half skirt. Handy for gear and easily holds a big Nalgene bottle. Keeps water out as well. Storage behind the seat if needed. Bungees on both the front and back are handy as well.

Overall, I am extremely pleased with my purchase. The only downside is the weight as I have to lift them over my head to mount onto the roof rack; however, I overcame this quickly by purchasing a step stool.

07-21-2004
Submitted by: RileySend Email

Great little boat! I got my OT Rush kayak at Cabela's three weeks ago and I have taken it out about five times. As others have noted, the Rush is light and easy to carry, but more important to me, it is very comfortable and stable in the water. The cockpit is roomy enough to find several comfortable positions during extended trips (I have been bird-watching and even relaxed and read a book out on the water for seveeral hours in comfort). Additionally, I have found that it moves quickly and with great agility in the the water. Finally, the storage and bungee ties are conveniently located and allow quick, easy, and secure storage of paddles and other gear. Bottom line: I would heartily recommend the OT Rush kayak for anyone interested in recreational kayaking.

04-08-2004
Submitted by: NatalieSend Email

After 5 years of testing kayaks, debating on style, size, weight, and performance. I finally purchased my first Kayak for $350.00. It was an excellent purchase. We already had it on the pond and it manuevers beautifully, the comfort is an 11! When I rented my kayaks, by the first hour, I was ready to jump out with discomfort, and frustration! However, the Rush I would recommend to any beginner with its stability, comfort, tracking, and 1/2 skirt offered an enjoyable and comfortable ride. We can not wait to take it out an adventure soon.

03-22-2004

I just purchased my Rush and have only had it out a couple of times and only on a local lake, but I am very happy with it. It is a lot like an Otter, but with a redesigned deck, amaller cockpit, foot pegs, padded high back seat, paddle holder, work deck/spray skirt, and deck rigging. All of these new features make the boat a great buy and $375.

I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to paddle. I had paddled nearly half a mile and felt like I had only paddled 50 feet. Not even the least bit winded. In spite of the short wide hull it is surprisingly fast and tracks pretty well. It handles very well and feels very stable with good initial and exellent secondary stability.

The deck is designed to give the paddler extra leg room and the padded seat is very comfortable (not as good as my recliner, but after spending a full day in it I could still walk upright). The work deck/spray skirt combined with the deck design (it has some tumblehome and a fairly high coaming) keeps me completey dry.

To me the absolute best feature is the size and weight. It fits into the bed of my small pickup truck(with the tailgate down it hangs over about a foot) and weighs in at only 38 pounds. I have two more expensive boats both over 14 feet, but my new Rush will see a lot more use simply because it is so easy to load and transport. The only drawback is that it doesn't have tons of storage space, but what do you expect in a 9'6" boat? There is enough room for a small drybag and six pack cooler behind the seat and the deck rigging can also hold some equipment. I plan on outfitting the boat for fishing by adding a rod holder and an anchor system. For a short day trip for sightseeing, fishing, or just relaxing I think the Rush is a great boat.