Product Reviews > Kayaks > Perception > Acadia II Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Acadia II Kayak by Perception

Rated: 8.5/10 Based On: 16 Reviews

05-21-2010
Submitted by: M SinSend Email

I have had this boat for about 5 years and still love it just as much today as I have when I first got it. It is stable, tracks well, plenty of room, and can take a hell of a beating. I had a rudder installed as I use mine in the ocean and in many fast moving rivers and stream and I feel it helps to control it. It is easier to load it on top of a vehicle with a second person but I have done it myself many times and I am only 5'8" and not built that well and I drive an SUV. I would recommend this kayak to anyone. I'm making my father buy one for his house in Mass.

01-22-2007
Submitted by: QCSend Email

I have owned this boat for over a year and used it on East Tennessee flat water and down in the Gulf it performed well at all times. I have invested in the large spray skirt for it which makes a much dryer ride. The main down side off this boat is that the jump seat is very et for who ever is in it. Also I would question it as a really viable solo boat. It is alot of fun for a family boat, but watch out you could quickly out grow it if you get hooked.

09-13-2006
Submitted by: Bruce TSend Email

A great, very stable boat. My wife I use it on the 11 mile lagoon system on Hilton Head Island. We store it in the garage and use a Key West wheel kit to pull its 85 lbs to the dock. The boat is fast, very trakable and a doll to use! Lots of room for a cooler, dog, kid and gear - we love this kayak!

04-17-2006
Submitted by: Mike

Nice starter boat. I took my three year old out on it into windy waters. Even with his leaning this way and that, it was easily kept stable. Fast for a tandam and pretty steerable.

Like has been said MANY times, too heavy for one person to get on and off a car top easily. Other than that, it's a great first family boat.

03-22-2006

I first purchased a Wilderness systems Pungo 14' Thinking I could at least get my small dog into and later get one for my wife and baby on the way. Short story was no way the dog and I could fit into the Pungo, so I decided on a tandom. I was originally going to go with a Wilderness systems Pamlico 13'5 or 14'5 tandom, that is until I saw the Acadia 2 It seemed to be in between the two W.S. tandems plus it was built much sturdier. Finally getting it out on the water, it tracked better than the Pungo and I thought it was faster as well. I've had it out by myself, with the Dog and With me, my Wife and the Dog. It performed well in all scenarios. I'm going camping soon and it will be great to carry all the gear plus the Dog. I haven't had it on any rivers, but with the hull design it looks like it would be good up to class 2. Only problem I have is the weight. I bought a kayak cart and it's no big deal. I would definetly recommend this boat.

12-27-2005

A pretty nice handling kayak, turns and tracks pretty good and thatís from the back. So no doubt it will do great paddling solo from the center. The only thing that detracts at all is weight. But I new that going in so no big deal. Have help available or keep the distance from the car to river short. Over all I like it a lot.

10-17-2005
Submitted by: rswayzSend Email

Overall, this is a great boat. I researched tandems for about a year, and the Acadia offered the best options (for me) for the money. My wife, one-year-old daughter, and I use this craft for easy day trips.

Pluses include the more than ample carrying capacity and cockpit space. It also tracks well, is extremely stable and has decent speed, especially for a large tandem.

It is a fairly hefty boat, at 80-lbs, but with Yakima Hully-rollers on the top of the car and a good carrier, I have no problem loading, unloading and launching the kayak by myself. A good carrier will also help prevent damage to the keel that other reviewers have referred to.

My one concern is not regarding the boat itself, but the company that makes it. I tried looking into purchasing a rudder kit, but could never get a hold of any representatives at Perception/Watermark due to a corporate 'changeover.' This is disconcerting because in the event I need any serious assistance, I'm not sure how much support I am going to receive. These circumstances would also dissuade me from purchasing another Perception kayak.

Bottom line: a great, versatile boat, but it would seem once you buy it, youíre on your own.

05-13-2005

Don't get me wrong - I have really loved this boat for its intended purposes - BUT I am pretty irritated at realizing that what I thought was my leaky bulkhead storage, was actually a hole in the keel. A tube of silicone caulk seems to have taken care of the problem for now, but what does that say about the overall thickness of the polyethylene elsewhere? I love being able to take my family as well as guests out in this boat, but I paid way too much for it to be a disposable item.

Hey Perception, or Watermark, or whatever your name is these days, make the keel less protruding, and THICKER!!

04-27-2005

First solo trip...I pushed both seats as far back as I could, then sat in the front seat which put me about dead center of the boat. I paddled around at Fountainhead Park on the reservoir. There was a lot of chop with a steady 10 knot wind with gusts to closer to 20...she tracked great...turned smooth...no troubles. Into the wind, with the wind, across the wind...no problems. I was very pleased! Still a 9 due to it weighing 80lbs.

01-05-2005

I run a kayak livery and purchased 5 Acadia II 2004 version kayaks. The customers liked them and I did too UNTIL all five developed small holes in the keel making them unusable after two months of use. These holes are all in the same spot in the bottom of the keel where the material is very thin.

09-27-2004

Ok, I took the Acadia II out at Fountainhead Park (Occoquan Reservoir) and wow...this boat tracks great! Very stable, and for a wide rec boat. I am surprised at the speed we can get...(no I am not saying that we could race a touring kayak) all and all we are loving it...still giving it a 9 since its 80 pounds...but for $550 its a great way to get us on the water...

09-21-2004

First boat, first outing...
My Wife and I have been taking a rental Oldtown 160 tandem down the Shenendoah 15 miles for a few years...so we decided that it was time to buy. Bought it after alot of research. Took it out on Burke Lake Va., 5 knot wind out of the north, very stable, faster turning then the 16 foot Oldtown...and better tracking...we had no problems running across the lake with the wind at our side. I really like it. The seats where also very confortable. There is only one issue...weight...it weighs 82 pounds...get a cart if you have to go far to put in, I have a 6 foot high van, which it wasn't too bad to put up on, but I can see why so many kayakers like the Subaru Outback... I'll follow up soon when we take it out on Bull Run/Fountainhead/Patomac.

08-04-2004

I recently bought my Acadia II and took it out for the first time that same day. When I went I took my 3 year old son with me for the ride. While paddling, the kayak remained stable even as my son moved around and leaned over the side to play with the water. It tracked well and was easily turned. We had a good time. The only down side is the weight. At just over 80 pounds, it takes some strength to get this 14 foot kayak onto the top of my utility trailer. I would not even want to try to get it on the top of my SUV. All in all I am very impressed with the Acadia II and I am glad to have it in my small fleet of kayaks.

06-28-2004

Riding the Acadia as a single. Read my earlier reviews on this boat paddled as a Tandem. Today I took it out for a 2 mile trip as a solo. My 120lb son tried it first, but was able to get any action. But with my 185lbs, the boat was amazing. Totally Reponsive to any quick turn, yet tracks straight and glides true. Our chosen path took us over several small stream sand bars which meant I had to get out, push the boat over and using a skate-boarding push gave myself a running start and plopped right down into the comfortable seat. Tippy? Not even a little bit. I felt I abused the boat's primary "stability", but it never once acted like it wanted to do anything but stay perfectly level. Yet you can lean into a quick turn. I finally have to give this boat a perfect 10. It does everything (small stream and lake) perfectly! As a Tandem or as a Solo.

12-08-2003

Update review. After many trips in this recreational kayak, I have a better feel for what to talk about. It tracks straight in cross winds and is highly maneuverable, turns 180 with only 4 strokes. Reasonably fast with both rowers. Creates a decent bow and stern wave when it really gets going! Easy entry-exit. Our put-in requires lowering the kayak over an embankment into the water about 1-2 feet below you (into 2 feet of water), then stepping in. Same in reverse for exit. Sometimes we rig up a bungee cord system to the shoreline to hold the boat in place if the current is strong. Due to its hull design it is exceptionally stable, (notice in the picture how the bottom of the bow is deeper than the rest of the boat) even while standing to exit. My 15 year old son has been known to stand up whever I let him paddle in the rear seat. Dont even realize he's standing until he tells me. (of course this doesn't earn him any merit badges with dad) Ample storage in dry hatch. A little heavy to carry. Its easier for 1 person to grab the inside rail and one-arm it, than for two people to use the carry straps, but it does take two to load on the car.

10-22-2003

With only canoe experience before this tandem recreational kayak, I am amazed at the stability. You can move around in the boat to reach the rear hatch, or shift your weight to talk to the back-seat rower without any significant listing or rocking of the boat. As I have read of other perception boats, this boat does seems to warp in various storage positions, and I am still testing the best position for storage (vertical?). But it has good speed, great dry-storage, fantastic stability and room for the family pet.

Zoar Outdoor
Free Shipping on all New Kayaks!
Rendezvous River Sports