Product Reviews > Kayaks > Mainstream Kayak > Jazz Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Jazz Kayak by Mainstream Kayak

Rated: 8.4/10 Based On: 10 Reviews

09-22-2011
Submitted by: SeanSend Email

Just purchased this kayak a couple weeks ago. It is very stable, but being only 9 ft long, it does not track very well. Kayak is very light at 36 lbs. I have added rod Holder paddle keepers and a DIY skeg to help with tracking. Plenty of storage under rubber day hatch. I also added a seat with backrest, very comfy ride if you are not paddling a great distance across open water; go with a longer kayak for open water. This yak is a great inexpensive way to get into the sport

06-19-2008
Submitted by: BJBSend Email

Two weeks ago I borrowed one of these Jazz Kayaks from a friend. After 5 minutes I was addicted, these kayaks are truly a great and inexpensive way to enjoy kayaking. They seem to ride the waves and current extremely well. I am proud to say I have just ordered two of these kayaks for myself.

09-01-2006

We borrowed a friendís Mainstream Jazz a few weeks ago to go kayaking on Puddingstone Lake in Southern California. Unfortunately, I really didnít like it all that much. It didnít really track very well and I found it somewhat fatiguing to paddle as I had a hard time keeping up with the other people in my group. It also sits quite low so my seat and feet were always in water. I personally preferred the Wilderness Systems Riot and my favorite, the Bic Sport Bilbao, but my friend (the owner of the Jazz) likes this one the best. I guess it goes to show that you really do have to try a bunch of boats before finding the one thatís best for you!

06-13-2006
Submitted by: ChollabaySend Email

Purchased this yak a year ago to paddle down the river instead of using my touring Perception Carolina. I love this sit-on-top! Doesn't track very well, but when the river is flowing I don't have to paddle much. Also take it to the Sea of Cortez and it's very stable in the surf.

04-19-2006

Great little kayak at least to me. It tracked way better than I expected, still was stable and turned well too. Very lite which is a big plus. The only complaint Ii have is the deep sides. (the pegesus and torrent, and caymen are more open. these being the ones I am most used to) which to be fair is just a miner thing I am sure I will outgrow quick. A backband is a good idea just use one that does'nt have a seat. Overall a pretty nice short sot. especialy if you consider the wieght and price range.

08-02-2004

My GF and I rented a pair of jazz's yesterday. They seem pretty stable and cruise at an ok speed - just not very fast and you have to keep paddling if you wanna keep going. They dont track very well, but thats what you get with a short wide flat bottom boat without much of a keel. Im sure this thing would be fun catching waves. You really need a soft backrest. My lower back was in constant pain.

07-06-2004
Submitted by: MorningsunSend Email

I think this SOT kayak is great for beginners such as my self. I bought it to do some surfing at the beach and my first time out was great with it. Easy to handle and very comfortable as well.

06-01-2004
Submitted by: jk

12'9 square stern use mainly trapping super stable very tough, extremly happy with it buying double ender too.

01-27-2004
Submitted by: kitSend Email

OK. love the boat, handles like a dream, is light and has built in handles. It is also really pretty. i got a back rest before i even tried to use it. works well. i did have a small problem. the boat like to "go with the flow" as in follow the waves, ever tried paddling upwind, against the tide in something that manuvers with the waves? fun right? I really did enjoy it though.

10-09-2003

I bought two Mainstream Jazz SOT kayaks early in the summer. We had never paddled a kayak before in our life and only had rented a canoe once. We took the pair of SOT's to the local state park lake and in less than ten minutes my 7 and 9 yr old kids were paddling and maneuvering these things like they had been doing it for years. My wife and I love these simple, inexpensive ($450/pair) boats. We did add foam backrests for lower back support. About 15 minutes without the back support was all I could take. Now, with the back rests, we can go for hours. We have only paddled on still water (lake) so I can't talk about handling on moving water. As far as tracking straight, they are very short boats and the back end 'wiggles' side to side with each stroke but I can turn a 180 with a single stroke. Very easy to turn. They are rated at 275 lbs, I think. I am 284 lbs and mine does just fine. Very fun boats.