Product Reviews > Accessories > GCI Sitbacker Canoe Seat Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for GCI Sitbacker Canoe Seat

Rated: 5.38/10 Based On: 8 Reviews

Research Boat Accessories / Boat Outfitting in the Buyers' Guide!

05-28-2009

Maybe they've been redesigned, but I just bought this seat from Bass Pro. Their on line reviews were positive. (Maybe they filter their reviews) Anyway, I just used mine on an 11 mile trip and found it very comfortable. The materials were top notch. I don't foresee any problems. As for the ones here who said theirs had broken or bent...FYI they have a limited lifetime warranty. Just KEEP YOUR RECEIPT! DUH!!! They will either repair or replace.

08-12-2008

I messed up... and did not find these previous reviews of this seat before I purchased the LL Bean branded version of the Sitbacker. The seat was heavy. The round tubing of the framework is stamped flat for the pivot hinge--very weak and flexy. I returned it immediately to LL Bean.

I then wound up buying a Crazy Creek Canoe Chair III which is very supportive, comfortable, and light---quite superior in every way to the Sitbacker.

11-20-2007

I have 2 of these seats. They are a waste of money! The hinge design is terrible. If you weigh over 50 lbs. and lean back, the hinges/tubing will bend and eventually break. NOT RECOMMENDED!!!!

07-07-2007

Though comfortable for up to three hours, the seat is somewhat hard. I've no problem with the width of the back frame, but it may be more of a problem for those with narrow shoulders. The seat will raise your center of gravity, but that can be cured by lowering the factory bench seat. The front to back width of the seat is a bit narrow for my behind, but so is the factory bench in my Wenonah Sandpiper. I would prefer two adjusting straps for the seat back instead of one, it would help reduce the tendency of the seat to stretch back farther than I like. The seat lacks a positive latch to keep it folded down when loading. I use a bungee to hold it in the down position.

I would not recommend the seat to anyone with relatively narrow shoulders. If you, like me, spend more than three or so hours in the seat of the canoe, then the Sitbacker is going to be butt numbing. Overall, the seat is O.K., but surely someone can do it better. Think I'll try a Crazy Creek when/if I get the funds.

07-03-2007
Submitted by: RustySend Email

Although comfortable, the Sitbacker caused the center of gravity of the paddlers to be placed above the sides of the canoe, making it very unstable. They went right back to the store upon return to town.

03-09-2006
Submitted by: khSend Email

This seemed like a great seat, until the hinge began to bend after a couple days when my son leaned back in the seat. It then completely broke a couple of days further along, making the seat useless. The hinge design is quite weak -- not recommended.

01-06-2005

On my 3 solo canoes the Sitbacker was comfortable and very easy on my aging back. But it is less useful for me than my other 2 canoe seats. For my size, 5' 7", 140 lbs., it is too wide for the way I paddle. I hit the rigid metal back frame with my elbows when I use my torso on the paddle stroke. This was more pronounced with a kayak paddle than a canoe paddle.

Although the seat bottom padding is thick, it is a bit hard. The Sitbacker is also heavier and more work to portage than my other seats. This was partly because the portage yoke systems that I have fitted to my canoes required the Sitbacker to be removed. Ditto for car topping. My other seats can be left in place. It is certainly strong with a good range of back adjustment and high marks for all around, day long comfort. For a larger person who is not going to portage much, this would be a wonderful seat at a good price, a "10" for certain. I only wish it worked better for me.

09-25-2003

This product has allowed Me to be able to sit in a canoe without suffering back pain after 3 to 4 hours. the rigid frame and ability to adjust the position of the back at anytime for the comfort you want is a real plus. The 2" padding on the seat itself is also welcome, no more butt pain from sitting on a hard seat. I think it is one of the best investments I've ever made in outfitting My canoe. Next to a PFD of Course!