Product Reviews > Canoes > ClearWater Design > Kawartha Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Kawartha Canoe by ClearWater Design

Rated: 6.33/10 Based On: 3 Reviews

Canoes
Research Canoes in the Buyers' Guide!

Select Canoe to View in Buyers' Guide

01-18-2007

I bought this canoe used and didn't know what to expect from it. From the first time i took it on the water i was impressed with the way it handled and paddled. I had it out with my wife and two kids on a slow river and we paddled by some rental old town discovery's with ease (they were paddling as hard as we were).great canoe for the price.

08-06-2003

Pretty good initial stability but poor secondary stability. Not a very good canoe for streams. Greta price just not a very good quality boat. A seat broke going through a riffle, small stream maybe class i riffle.

08-07-2002

I recently purchased this boat after months and months of frustration trying to find a used canoe for sale under 16' in my area. What a challenge! I broke down and picked up the Kawartha, which was within my price range (under $600) and under 16'. For this price I knew the boat would be heavy and it is - at a very beefy 65 pounds. I'm a pretty wiry, tall guy and I don't have any illusions of putting this boat on top of the car by myself. Unless you are jacked you will need help. Other than that, if you're not planning on any 4-mile portages, the Kawartha is a great canoe. It performs well in the water with excellent secondary stability and a real zippy feel to it. This could be a good family canoe, but it's designed more as a cruiser with an eye toward cruising efficiency as oppossed to primary stability. Compared to other entry-level canoes the Kawartha is quite classy with wooden webbed seats, ash carrying yoke and a sharp finish. Lastly, for more information check out Canoe and Kayak's August 2002 issue for a very complimentary review of the Kawartha.