Product Reviews > Accessories > Bending Branches Whisper Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Bending Branches Whisper

Rated: 8.44/10 Based On: 9 Reviews

Bending Branches Logo
See Products from Bending Branches in the Buyers' Guide!
Bending Branches in the Buyers' Guide:
  • Solo Canoe Paddles
  • Wood Kayak Paddles

07-03-2014
Submitted by: JVogelsbergSend Email

Great paddles, light weight, smooth easy grip, and held up to some abuse on river trips with some class 2 and class 3 rapid sections. My wife has a higher end BB paddle, yet I like these better.

07-29-2013

We have been using the Whisper paddle from Bending Branches for three years. We like it a lot. We are beginning kayakers and nearly always on calm waters, but have lent the paddle to friends who are more accomplished. They liked it too.

It is light weight, especially for the materials (aluminum shaft, plastic blades). Our friend who borrowed it has other paddles of fancier, lighter weight materials. She was surprised at how light weight this paddle was. You can butterfly the blades or have them straight. Our strokes are powerful enough for our paddling, but we can't compare it to other paddles.

So, why not give it a 10? A few reasons. First, a product has to be perfect to be a ten. This one is a great product, a great balance of cost and performance, but perfect? That's a tall order. Also, I'd prefer a material other than aluminum for the shaft for safety sake (as in lightening). But for the cost, this may be one of the best paddles out there!

07-29-2013

The Bending Branches Whisper paddles are great entry-level, recreational paddles. You can't go wrong for the price. I bought a pair of these with my first kayak. Later, I "up-graded" to a pair of slightly lighter paddles that cost twice as much. I soon found myself going back to the Whispers.

I just like the way they paddle so much that I got a second pair. These are very durable. I don't have to worry about stabbing them into the sand or rocks to push off. The have three adjustment holes for feathering. The shaft is strong and forms a firm connection when snapped together.

They are not the lightest of paddles, but you'd have to pay several times the cost of the Whispers to get high-end paddles that make a significant weight reduction. I believe that the Bending Branches Whispers are an exception to the "you get what you pay for" rule. They are well worth what they cost. I gave them a "9", because I had to file the snap-hole on the second pair to get the snap to set correctly.

07-26-2013

I debated getting a fiberglass or carbon fiber Kayak paddle, but was told that I would be very satisfied with an Aluminum shaft. They were correct! The Whisper is just fine. I do not notice the extra weight at all. I like the 60 degree offset for feathering the paddle in the wind and the oval shaft and dihedral paddle blades mean I do not have to grip the shaft hard.
I no longer think one has to pay a lot of money for a paddle to enjoy Kayaking.

07-08-2013

This paddle works great; no fatigue whatsoever. It pulls through the water great. However the shaft diameter is too thick. Especially for a woman's hands. My hand is 7 inches exactly. Its too easy to get a blister and I found the large diameter aluminum shaft distracting. I like the brand a lot. I upgraded to Bending Branches Sunrise with fiberglass shaft. It seems like it will work better for me. The shaft is smaller. I will review it once I get it out on the water...

08-12-2008

My friend and I love these paddles! They have a lot of the features found in those costing considerably more. The grip is comfortable and the blades can be feathered. On day-long paddles on quiet rivers and lakes, they are light enough that we donít experience paddling fatigue. We havenít babied them; their rigid construction has dug us out of muddy landings and pulled us through weed-clogged passages. They are a good match for our folding kayaks; everything can be stowed inside the car (or the airplane). The Whisper has been perfect for the beginners we were, and will serve us for a long time to come.

04-29-2005

I bought this paddle because it was listed as a beginners paddle, and I'm just that! I've used other paddles with my boat, and this one performed the best. (I have a Wilderness systems Ripper) Although my boat is normally slow moving, this can give it some kick. I am a smaller person, only 5'3" and I find it fits my hands great, better then many other paddles. The only reason it is getting an 8 is because it doesn't have any of the nice padding other paddles have. I get blisters on my hands pretty easy when I use it, but other then that, great paddle.

06-18-2004
Submitted by: ovmechSend Email

Very pleased with the "Whisper", well made, not much to complain about. The only problem I have is the shaft diameter is a little to large for smaller hands. Overall great product for the beginner at a good price.

07-28-2003

38 ounces, aluminum shaft with rubber grips, assymetrical cupped blades, adjustable for feathering. This 7 rating is very positive. For an inexpensive paddle, the Whisper does quite well. I bought the 240 which is technically too long for me, but I knew after my demos that I did not like the 220, and the store did not have any 230's in my price range (good hints for Christmas presents, eh?). However, the extra length did allow a lot of force to be placed while paddling, and it also allowed a bit of extra reach for various reasons. This paddle got me where I was going, and I never noticed excessive weight, so I'll keep it. Note that with an aluminum shaft, it could also be cut off and the feathering holes re-drilled to make a shorter paddle for a youngster or shorter paddler. Would you cut off your kevlar shaft paddle?