Product Reviews > Kayaks > Nelo > Moskito FW 2000 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Moskito FW 2000 Kayak by Nelo

Rated: 5.75/10 Based On: 4 Reviews

04-06-2012

I've owned the Moskito FW 2000 (affectionately the "Evil Moskito") for a couple years and keep trying to use it as a super fast sea kayak. I have a love/hate relationship with this kayak, and had to develop my own rough-water reentry procedure for the inevitable far-from-shore capsizes plural.

Things this kayak does well is that it is solidly constructed, and lightweight (I have the carbon version), and fast, and I find it absolutely beautiful in red/black carbon fiber. I had to replace the tiller bar for the exact reasons mentioned in previous reviews, and now have gas pedals which I love, and makes the kayak quite responsive.

Big complaints are that the cockpit entrance is way too small and makes reentry an art-form. Filing down sharp edges helped a lot, but the entrance is just too small for a 6-foot paddler. I also find it very unstable and am not able to sit in it without a blade in the water even with the seat lowered -- forget messing with the GPS or eating lunch from this kayak, it can't be done. It is about equally stable in rough conditions as flat water since it is active bracing in either conditions that keeps it upright. One other complaint is that when piercing waves, the front hatch kicks most of the wave straight into your face. If this kayak were one inch wider beam with similar hull shape, much larger cockpit entrance, and slightly redesigned deck with redesigned tiller bar (like mine!), and a back rest which I have also added, the kayak would be fantastic for those who like to go fast but also enjoy sea kayaking.

I have also taken this camping and additional cargo does help stability, but there is only cargo space in the rear, so it is difficult to balance the load.

07-20-2007

This is a pseudo racing kayak, 17" wide, and 18'6" long. It is about as fast as a K1 trainer in a straight line. Turning is marginal, controlled by a tiller connected to an under-hull rudder. Stability is lower than say a Laser or Razor, but not as tippy as an all out K1. Seating is a platform seat, fixed height, with fore and aft trim.

My boat is in fiberglass and REALLY heavy. It seems to be over 50lbs. The bulkheads offer a degree of safety when the inevitable capsize happens with a boat this tippy. Build quality is very high, with a smooth finish, and solid components. This is typical Nelo. Entry / exit is pretty tough, and requires a dock, because of the very tight cockpit.

I got this boat as a clearance item for a very aggressive price. Overall, it is a pretty reasonable training boat. It is very solid (a plus compared to other performance boats). Acceleration is pretty marginal, it rides wakes and waves pretty well.

The weight and small cockpit are why I knock this down to a 6. Otherwise, it would probably be an 8 or 9.

10-29-2003

I had the opportunity to test the Moskito fw 2000 for a two week period this summer. It is a kayak designed for racing in rougher conditions. The original seat was too narrow for me, but luckily is it possible to change seat. I replaced the old seat with a racingseat which I lowered. With a full hight racing seat the kayak is as stable as a an older racing kayak. As the kayak is wider than a racing kayak in the mid-section, it is plenty of foot room. Loaded with 10-25 kg the kayak is stable as a normal sea kayak.

The kayak is seaworthy and is only limited by the canoeist's skill. It is probably the fastest sea kayak today. I only recommend the kayak for people with experince from racing as people with a background from whitewater and sea kayaking will probably hate it.

05-30-2003
Submitted by: Peter TurcanSend Email

My first impressions of this kayak were not good, though there are some great things about it. It is long and feels fast, probably comparable with a racing K1. The sloped forward deck allows for a very efficient stroke, the seat and rudder system come direct from racing K1s. However, here lies the problem. The cockpit is small enough to allow your knees to brace under the rim (and hence, I guess, enable you to roll - though I did not try). The rudder system is identical to racing K1s - with a footrest the full width of the kayak and a bar controlling the rudder. However I could not move the rudder more than an inch or two before my foot got in the way, and the only way to get it out of the way was pull my leg right back and stick my knee up out of the cockpit. The large open cockpits of racing K1s prevent this problem. Full left and right movement of the rudder seems essential in a boat that is so straight that leaning and sweep strokes are laborious to say the least. My feeling is that the rudder system needs to be replaced with that of a more traditional sea kayak, where you push on pedals and there is no need ever to get your foot out of the way. Of course this does not give the solid platform for your feet that racers prefer. This is such a problem that I very strongly suggest that you try this boat out before ordering one. I could not see rudder options on Nelo's website though maybe there are some.

Other features of the boat are that its hull is very similar to the rounded hulls of racing K1s, without the noticable cheeks of sea kayaks, which puts its stability between that of a K1 trainer and racing K1, certainly not as stable as a Looksha II, for example. So taking it out in the open sea is for the brave and skillful only. Finally it also seemed heavy for a graphite boat.