Product Reviews > Kayaks > Dimension > Solo Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Solo Kayak by Dimension

Rated: 8.17/10 Based On: 6 Reviews

09-12-2012
Submitted by:

My kids LOVE this kayak! We call it the "Rainbow Rocket"!! Very stable on a lake or any other smooth water, easy to get in and out of. People up to 6" and 230 lbs have used it and loved it. It is our Playboat.

03-08-2005

Craptacular! I bought a pair of these for $175 bucks on a whim. Having been used to real kayaks they were a disappointment. Luckily I passed them on really quick. They don't track straight AT ALL. The bow buries itself down into every upcoming wave. The cockpit is way too short for anyone over 5'8" or so. That flotation bag inside is pointless and impossible to get back in once taken out. On the plus side....stable as hell, look kind of cool w/ that molded in high seat back, cheap (at least they better be), built in paddle holder is handy. Buy one for floating around a pond or lagoon, but if you plan on paddling more than a mile forget it. If you pay over $200 for one in PERFECT shape you’re getting hosed.

04-28-2003

Built like a tank with great tracking, this kayak is truly like being one with the water. This sit-on-top made me a believer in them. They are MUCH more comfortable than the closed kind; it makes you feel closer to the water and nature. Highly recommended.

08-01-2002

I just had a Dimension Solo given to me a few months ago. We've actually had alot of fun with it as long as Lake Superior and the weather stay warm. We call it our playboat. The paddler gets very wet, especially in any kind of chop. Because the hull is cut to a point and has no upswept bow it punches through the waves, thus all over the paddler who sits in a constant pool of water. In chop the bow actually sinks below the waterline with each paddle stroke, making for harder, slower paddling. The rear hatch is almost totally useless.....very small opening which a hand can bearly get through. I'm not sure what Dimension intended it to be good for. The shell is hollow from front to back so anything put in the hatch could roll from one end to the other and even get stuck. It does not have good secondary stability as I learned when I was reaching towards another paddler but initial stability is excellent. It turns on a dime and is extremely manueverable. It would be a fun boat to keep at a cabin/home on a calm inland lake. I would never buy one and would look for a different SOT if I were to buy one, which for this area is not a practical style. However, as I got it free, we are having alot of fun with it, myself and guests alike, and it has come in handy substituting for a extra kayak right now in the warm days of summer.

08-12-2000

The Solo Dimesion is manufactured in Canada and was market by Old Town in the USA. They no longer carry it in their cataloge. I got mine at a fantastic price. It has a fast hull design, but not as much initial stability as most sit on tops. Could use more leg room for paddlers over 5-10 (only one setting.) Seat and footholds are molded deeply into boat and this gives good control for bracing. This boat is good and bad in choppy conditions. There is no upsweep to the bow , which punches right thru waves. You get lots of deck wash over the bow and into the molded foot wells. I get rid of the water easily by pumping my feet which quickly splashes the water out. The good news is that as long as you keep your butt and feet in place (low center of gravity) the boat is very sea-worthy. It is a wet ride however and would prefer a different boat for foul weather conditions. The bottom line is for the price this is a fast durable boat for the money. If ytou are looking for a dive platform, look somewhere else, but the Solo makes a great workout boat for arobic excercise.

05-22-1999
Submitted by: EricSend Email

Old Town Canoe Dimension Solo. An inexpensive boat that is very comfortable. Great for trips on rivers, lakes, and coastal areas. Not for whitewater or choppy conditions. This boat is a sit-on-top with no scupper holes (dry), tracks well, is light, not too long, and is very stable. This K-1 is over 13' long and is under $500. It has one hatch and enough storage for most trips. The only thing I dislike about this boat is the hatch is fairly small in diameter.