Product Reviews > Kayaks > Necky Kayaks > Gannet II Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Gannet II Kayak by Necky Kayaks

Rated: 8.57/10 Based On: 7 Reviews

07-03-2014

Have owned this kayak for several years and it is an overall good tandem kayak. It has decent storage and paddles well with two people. There isn't too many things to complain about with this kayak.

07-15-2013
Submitted by: TP in FFLSend Email

I got my Necky Gannet II for a steal! Love it in all kinds of water including Gulf of Mexico. Several total strangers have tried to buy it right out from under me. Not happening!

05-06-2009
Submitted by: mark cSend Email

I have owned this boat for many years and it is still performing well for me....between just me and my wife paddling the lakes, or me taking it on solo missions down the river on camping trips, this boat by far is the best bet.....thank you Necky!

08-28-2006

My husband and I bought a used Gannet II about six months ago and have been using it for the summer almost every weekend on the sounds and lakes on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. We have been loving it! We bought a jump seat for our granddaughter and have been taking her with us on all our trips. We find that it is roomy and easy to get into and out of. The best thing we like is how stable it is, even on water that is slightly rough. It is easy to paddle and tracks well with the rudder. We tried it single and it really was much easier to paddle, but I can't complain with the three of us in it. I would recommend this kayak to anyone who is looking for a family fun yak! Really makes us want to explore kayaking even more!

11-25-2004

Owned Gannet 2 for 3 years. Paddled rivers, Gulf, 2 -3 waves and it handles well, except in windy conditions, which is probably the same for most rec tandems. I have a rudder which helps in tracking. I've had almost 800 pounds and 2 adults and 2 teenagers in it. Very stable and paddles well solo. Also, ran the Tuckasegee River (1/2) and Nantahala solo (1-3) without a hitch.

05-12-2003
Submitted by: yocksterSend Email

I just purchased a Gannet II after test paddling one with my 10 year old daughter. Out in the bay it handled the wind and waves just fine. I wanted to ensure a stable ride for bay, lakes as well as rivers and it performed well. The skag really keeps it tracking well. It's a great transition kayak for those who have previously had a conoe. The only negative is the weight. I can get it on top of my Yukon XL by myself but it takes a little planning. It's no problem with two people.

04-28-2003

I've had a Necky Gannet II for almost 5 years now. It is very versatile, being able to switch between tandem and solo paddling quickly (The forward seat slides aft to paddle solo). It is great on ponds and nicer days out on the Bay. Even took it down the West Branch of the Penobscot, and it handled the rips very handily.

Positives: Stability - It is a very stable boat. This is nice on moving water, paddling with inexperience folks or a dog, and when there is something interesting to look at below the surface. I've even stood up to board larger boats.

Versitility - We've used it on quitewater to class 2+. It does great. Solo or Tandem.

Negatives: Tracking - I don't think it tracks very well. I think this can be attributed to the 'full' bow, which is great for surfing (doesn't dive). Maybe the rudder would help.

Wettness - the boat is pretty wet even in small waves/chop. If you're paddling tandem and you're sitting in the stern, its fine, but the bow person gets soaked :) A spray skit is recommended.

It has been a nice boat for gunkholing and paddling on quite ponds and even quick moving rivers. I think of it as a combination of canoe and kayak.

Zoar Outdoor
Free Shipping on all New Kayaks!