Product Reviews > Kayaks > Ocean Kayak > Mars Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Mars Kayak by Ocean Kayak

Rated: 7.8/10 Based On: 5 Reviews

08-24-2004
Submitted by: Dave CSend Email

Bought a Mars & a Necky Spike last winter and have logged several trips in S FL canals and in the Atlantic. The Mars is simply a friendly boat. Cockpit seems custom fit for me. The boat has no major deficiencies, performance on all bases is good to very good. There are no deficiencies. Could track a bit better on the drift, but managable. Let me say again, what a fine cockpit. Has proven to be a fine fishing platform.

08-04-2004

My wife and I paddle a couple of miles up a river with variable swift shallows and deep holes. We have a Hobie Pursuit, Maui, and Oddesy and just added 2 Mars. We love the Mars for it's ability to get upstream thru the rapid shallows and good speed in the deep areas. I have heard people say they are a little tipsy, but we have experienced none of that even in some fairly swift water. It paddles very similar to the Hobie Pursuit, which is a good bit more expensive. The seat position could be a little more comfortable (the Hobies really shine in this area) or I would give it a 10. One note is that we originally purchased a Venus instead of the second Mars, but my wife found it much too hard to paddle upstream. Though it cuts on a dime and was a lot of fun, a long shallow area was hard slow going in that unit. Luckily the shop we purchased it from was nice enough to let us swap it for another Mars.

04-13-2004

The Mars is a pretty boat, rides quietly by cutting easily through any chop, BUT it is very hard to handle in winds over 10 MPH in open water - the Mars tends to turn in circle regardless of wind direction, and it can tire you out quickly when you only paddle on one side to compensate for the drift.

07-07-2003
Submitted by: AndrewSend Email

Very nice styling, turns well, fairly stable, moderately fast, little storage space, and the tracking is so-so, but there is lots of space for a person all around. Not for touring or fishing or for rough waters, but a great recreational boat for which it is well suited -- a "fun" kayak.

03-04-2003

This review is after a short 20-minute demo, but this boat just began production last week, so I thought I would share my thoughts.

I paddled the Mars along with the Necky Dolphin and Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro at Moneterey Bay Kayaks on Moneterey Bay. I am 5'9" tall and weigh 180#. I have a bad shoulder and I need an lightweight boat that is easy to paddle. I launched all three boats into small 1-2 foot knee high surf. A 1-2 foot chop on the bay. After the demo I preordered the Mars even though I could have bought used Dolphins or Scupper Pros cheaper.

The Scupper Pro was faster and had more cargo capacity. The Mars just has a cargo well and small 6" center hatch. The Mars was more maneuverable, more comfortable, and more stable on the water. The Mars did accelerate quicker, and maintained an easy 3-4 MPH pace with less effort. It also seems like it is much more than just 5# lighter than the Scupper Pro.

I have a bad shoulder and the lightweight and easy paddling is most important to me. I seek my thrills in surf and whitewater and the Mars is for easy trips with friends. It is all about personal preference. If ease of use is more important than performance, this may be a very good boat for you, too.

Black Lagoon Products, LLC: