Product Reviews > Kayaks > Pyranha > I3 223 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for I3 223 Kayak by Pyranha

Rated: 9.5/10 Based On: 4 Reviews

07-03-2003
Submitted by: Simon BowdenSend Email

I bought this boat having returned to the sport after 15 years, then it was 3 metres and fibre glass! I'm still a novice at 2** rating, but learning quick. I returned in a Prjon Rockit, then a Prijon Performance, liking the leg room, the smaller i3 is like a tardis, load of room , armchar comfort, and the response is great. I oove this boat I am 6'1" and 13 stone 4, (looking for 12 something!). Its faster than my longer boats, turns great and is so forgiving of my newbie status. I can see all the potential this boat offers, and will stick with it for a good few years I'm sure. Mines the 223. Only concern is that my YAK keyhole deck is very tight to put on - knackering actually, but it may be that the deck is newish or slightly small. Buy one, you won't regret it.

04-30-2003
Submitted by: HicejsSend Email

I have been paddling for several years now and have demo'd just about every design from most of the top manufactures and I can say without a doubt that the I3 is an acceptional kayak. I demo'd one on the middle section of the Ocoee and enjoyed the experience. The backband actually works and the leg space is exceptional. My right foot did feel a bit uncomfortable, however a quick cut to the inner bulkhead and the problem would be resolved. I have been looking for a boat like this, where I can tackle rivers like the Ocoee, throw-down when I feel like playing and still have the stability I need for big water. I recommend the I3 to newbies and veterans. This is a revolutionary step forward for pyranha.

12-20-2002
Submitted by: BryanSend Email

I'm really impressed w/ this boats speed on a wave it does whatever you want. Once you get the outfitting just right, it's just that "right". I'm 6'2" 200 lbs. w/ size 15 feet. I fit fine. I had to ditch the factory bulkhead and go w/ a tiny bit of foam for my feet to add to my control, but it works great. Bottom line, the only reason it's not a 10. Because the seat is not as comfortable as Riot's new one. I like Riot's thigh straps better, but the hooker thigh grips are very customizable and nice! Great Boat that will run huge water nicely and play w/ the best!

10-28-2002
Submitted by: G. BaldwinSend Email

Due to foresight and placing an advance deposit, I am the "first kid on my block" to acquire the new 2003 Pyranha I3 - Model 223. This is the "big guy" model, and at 5'11" and 220#, I guess I fill that bill. First, let me say the legroom in this kayak is awesome! Whereas usually I have to struggle to get in, entry is a breeze. The seat is comfortable and the backband is almost too good - meaning it gives you good support but could interfere with a quick exit dut to staying up on your back - where it belongs. I recommend you check your footing before implanting any of the provided foam footrests, so you get the good fit that's available in this fine kayak. The new adjustable thigh hooks are very cool, but as with the backrest, you need to trade off between connection with the boat and escapability. I would start off conservative and gradually move the hooks over your legs, making sure you can exit as fast as you might like, as there is an entrapment potential here! I have two complaints about the outfitting that make me rate the boat a "9". The so-called "floating" hip pads are hard to figure out, and the instructions do not help. You need to figure out how to pass the backrest adjustment strap through the back of the hip pad, and it is not obvious. Also, the minicell hip pads provided are way too big - at least for me. I substituted PADZ "S" hip pads for the ones provided by Pyranha, and they worked fine. Second, the glue-backed minicell foam for such things as knee pads is a real mess if you change your mind. I used some, wanted to move it, and spent the next 2.5 hours with my head inside the kayak, using solvent and a scraper. What a mess! I again recommend you use PADZ glue backed foam, not Pyranha's. OK, all that being said, on the water, this kayak is like a Porsche Turbo Carrera! I am not that good, but first let me say this boat is FAST! Second, it turns on a dime! Third, unlike many other boats like the Dagger Honcho, it does NOT pearl when you are paddling fast and/or leaning forward. I am sure you can bury the bow, but I am equally sure it won't get buried unless you want it to. The I3 carves nicely, but the hull is "loose"; in other words, it responds instantly to what you want to do. For experienced kayakers who can do tricks, I think you will really like the responsiveness of this boat to your every whim. It "plays" shorter than its 7'3". For newbies like me, the I3 is a boat you will be able to grow into - meaning it will support you but will respond to each new move you try and learn. If this kayak isn't voted the "Kayak of the Year" for 2003, I will be shocked! If you are in the market for a state-of-the-art new kayak, do not make a final decision until you demo the I3, it is one hot new boat. Just take your time with the outfitting!

Zoar Outdoor
Free Shipping on all New Kayaks!