Product Reviews > Accessories > Werner Sidekick WW paddle Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Werner Sidekick WW paddle

Rated: 9.5/10 Based On: 2 Reviews

Werner Paddles Logo
See Products from Werner Paddles in the Buyers' Guide!
Werner Paddles in the Buyers' Guide:
  • Whitewater Kayak Paddles
  • Racing SUP
  • Canoe/Raft/Outrigger

09-20-2010

My first paddle was an Aqua Bound - inexpensive and a great beginners paddle (will keep), but on my strong side the paddle blade began to bend where it attached to the shaft. After trying another paddle from another kayaker and how it felt stronger, I decided to do some research. Started researching different companies and size of blades/paddles. Putting cost and what paddlers where saying, I ended up purchasing a Werner Sidekick. The blades are big. It made doing double pumps much easier. Another kayaker said when I did the double pump using the new paddle I made it look easy and effortless. When rolling (once I got used to the 0 degree's - I've always wanted one - from the 30 degree's I was used too) it felt like I was gripping a rock and it helped make rolling even easier. This blade is big, if you have good upper body strength this is your paddle. If not, get a smaller blade like the Werner Player is. This paddle is 34 ounces very few paddles are lighter than this one.

10-22-2002
Submitted by: G. BaldwinSend Email

This is a follow up to my review of the Werner Player WW paddle. I recently sold my straightshaft Player to a friend, and turned around and bought a bentshaft Sidekick. Paddled with it for 3 hours this weekend. Although the difference in dimension between the Player and the Sidekick is not much to the naked eye, in the water the performance is noticeably different. The Sidekick is definitely for stronger paddlers or a paddler seeking a paddle that makes things happen. The bite is quick on entry, and the force generated is substantial. If you want to move your boat, the Sidekick lives up to its name! Takes a little getting used to, and if your strokes are not well-honed, this paddle magnifies each error. But when it comes to response and performance, this is a mighty powerful paddle. I think the insinuation that this paddle can overpower you is valid. If you have good, strong strokes, the Sidekick will perform for you. If you are not too strong, or are seeking more finesse than raw power, you might be smart to drop down one rung and get a Player. Personally, I prefer the Sidekick, and think its an awesome paddle for big moves.

NOCQUA Adventure Gear: