Product Reviews > Canoes > Blue Hole > OCV Prowler Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for OCV Prowler Canoe by Blue Hole

Rated: 9.56/10 Based On: 9 Reviews

Canoes
Research Canoes in the Buyers' Guide!

Select Canoe to View in Buyers' Guide

11-01-2008
Submitted by: MKSend Email

This is a great all around boat. I use it for flat water paddling around Vancouver and it does the trick just perfectly. Stable with great lines. Evergreen Canoes in Canada has all of the Blue Hole molds and they are available through them if anyone wants one. According to Evergreen, they still are using the same royalex sheets Blue Hole used.

06-04-2008
Submitted by: MosesSend Email

I've had my Prowler for 12 years now and have about worn the color off its bottom. I've paddled in many other canoes but there is nothing more stable and dry than my prowler. I'm sorry they stopped making this canoe. I wouldn't sell it for a million... OK maybe a million.

01-23-2008

I've had my Prowler nearly 10 years, and I love it. It's very stable (I paddle standing up) pretty fast for a non-racing canoe, and very maneuverable. I've not paddled any other canoe I'd trade it for.

12-08-2006

I sold my prowler to a friend a few years ago. It just wasn't for me. I'm more of a round bottom kind of guy. But I will have to say that everyone I paddle with that has one really likes it,and doesn't even want to try anything else. The Prowler has good initial and secondary stability. They ride amazingly dry. I've gone through a big water class 3 rapid first in my Appalachian, paddled solo and taken on a lot of water. Pulled into an eddy to bail out my canoe while waiting for my friends to come down through the same rapid in their Prowler paddled tandem. I figured that they would take on even more water than me. They were laughing and having a good time as the front half of their boat was going airborn off the crest of 3 foot curling waves. They got to the bottom, pulled up next to me, and had hardly taken on a drop!! I guess it's the flat bottom that rides up and over the waves pretty well, along with the recurved bow and stern working to shed water. I have also found that it is a very good boat to put a novice in to shepherd down a river. They feel very stable and secure and I have seen inexperenced paddlers run class 1&2 rapids, and the boat made them look like they knew what they were doing. I've rarely seen a Prowler flip, and when I have was usually when the paddler was really asking for it. Blue Hole was one of the early pioneers of Royalex canoes, and the Prowler was one of their original designs, so you could say it's past the test of time. Blue Hole sold out a couple years ago to a company based in Ontario named Evergreen Canoe company who still makes the Prowler. I'm giving it an 8 because like I said it's just not my type of canoe but I've got several friends that I'm sure would give it a 10. As a novice canoe 10 also.

03-20-2006
Submitted by: Sarge

I have owned a Blue Hole OCA (original molding from old time Royalex). It is not the best at any particular aspect of paddling, except for load capacity. However, it is like the DC-3 aircraft: It is simply, "The Best."

08-08-2005

Outstanding river boat. Very stable for fishing or standing up to view rapids downstream. Will turn 90 degrees in one hard stroke. Plenty of room for camping and can easily handle class II rapids even loaded down with two people and a dog. The front seat is plenty far enough ahead to turn around and run solo also. It does pretty well on a lake, but if you are more into marathon paddling and portage between ponds, you should get something else.

06-10-2005

A great Royalex boat. I bought it used for $350. I have done several 2-3 day canoe camping trips in eastern NC in this boat, as well as a few trips to the mountains. Speed is decent and capacity is outstanding. It is a very comfortable and rugged canoe and handles all situations well. Could not be happier.

04-29-2004

I have lots of boats, and this one is my favorite. I use it (solo with a kneeling thwart) here on Virginia rivers, up to class 3 whitewater. High recurved bow a must, very stable, narrow enough beam for solo paddling, much stiifer than my Daggers; I only wish it had a shallow arch hull rather than flat bottom.

10-09-2002

Royalex hull- 33' water line at 4"- an 1.5" of rocker on both ends- wt.-62 lbs. I am 6'1" and 250 plus. This is one fine boat to paddle. I'm a loner so I have plenty of room in the boat for just about anything and still have plenty of free board. Flat water or maybe low class 1 are my thing and the boats also.